Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Was disappointing - it should have been called Aleroth Alley. I enter the city gates, gaze around at the beautifully rendered buildings and think, "Wow. This should be good." I then roam around the first area, talk to everyone but nobody has anything to say. I find a couple doors that need keys which I'll find later. I see a tavern to the left which I can see a woman (who has nothing to say) going in and out of but I can't enter. Next to the tavern is a pig-pen full of chickens (?) which I quickly dispatch with my poison aura. Finding nothing in the first area but a bunch of wounded people and nobody to talk to, I move on to the elevator platform which whisks me up ten storeys where I am forced to traverse an alleyway leading to a huge plaza with more people than I've seen in all of Rivellon. I talk to everyone but again, nobody has anything to say. Apart from the traders, the only person that has anything to say to me is Augustus. I now notice that I am at the north end of the map. I haven't gone any further yet as I'm not sure if, as the Hero of Rivellon, this so-called city and its people full of despair are worth saving (just joking).

I love this game most for its graphics and combat. Well done. But Aleroth seems like a waste. That's a lot of work graphically for a place that is basically devoid of life. I can't imagine how much work goes into building a game like this.

Please people, don't be mad at me for what I've said. Even though it might not sound like it, I do appreciate very much the work that has gone into creating this game. Just want to share some thoughts on how to make the next release even better.

Thanks Team Larian.

Back in the days of Commodore 64 I used to dream about games like Divinity 2.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present.
(Taken from Kung Fu Panda)
veteran
veteran
The developers kinda ran out of money, so Aleroth was reduced in size. It's larger in Flames of Vengeance.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok, thanks. So I got the shield now. I can only guess that acquiring the shield is the one and only thing that can be done in Aleroth in Ego Draconis. [Unrelated] Damn, I wish I would have patched my game before going so far in it. Flames of Vengeance will no doubt be bugged as well. Besides the Raze fight, some empty loot bags, invisible npc's and a couple missing keys, D2ED was still good. Live and learn.

I don't know, aside from the rare freeze, I never ran into any issues with Ego Draconis. I just fell in love with what a rare gem it was on the whole, which pretty much made any technical shortcomings fade away for me. Cannot wait to do it all over again, plus experience Flames of Vengeance in the Dragon Knight Saga.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, you said it right. This game is most definitely a gem. I feel bad about saying bad things about it. This game had been out for quite awhile before I got around to purchasing and playing it and I wasn't aware of a lot of things (ie. the fact that Larian perhaps ran out of money or time or both) or that my game wasn't fully patched like I assumed it was. I'm glad that I have a game to replace Oblivion with and one that actually utilizes the power of my Crossfire setup. My words can't express how great the artwork is. When I was around 12 or so and was playing with a Commodore 64 I dreamed that maybe one day games would be as incredible as this. Actually my wildest dreams have been surpassed so I can only be impressed more and more as newer releases emerge.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
You definitely want to play Flames of Vengeance. The rest of the city becomes available, and the entire game is all within Aleroth (which, to me was a little bit disappointing in a way - because I would have liked to get outside and spread my wings a little, but alas). Those locked cellar doors, btw, are present in Ego Draconis, but they are basically foreshadowing of things to come (e.g. you can open them in FoV and enter).

old hand
old hand
I remember you can explore Aleroth in the original game. Just jump on the flame holder under the tunnel when you first enter Aleroth and from the flame holder, jump over the fence and into the courtyard where soldiers are fighting zombies. From there, you can explore some of Aleroth but some parts are missing. There are also a few crates with random loot in.

I didn't like Aleroth in the expansion, I liked the war torn Aleroth better. The expansion one looked too bright until you came into the alley with the undead which made everything turn darker.

veteran
veteran
I can't see a way to jump over the barrier in DKS. I cant' get enough distance from the torch to reach the wall.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I remember I tried to do so in Ego Draconis (I was so frustrated by that pocket-size Aleroth ^^"), but I never made it. Is it a new possibility of DKS?

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta
old hand
old hand
I remember doing it in both.

It seems other have done this as well:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...php?pid=977060&topic_id=m-1-53068990

Last edited by Demonic; 15/04/11 04:08 PM.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard