Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#442719 24/04/11 07:30 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have just recently started FOV, after completing ED, and have noticed a few things that I'm wondering about.

First, all the mindread experience debts have jumped up. Some have reached 18000 in places. Is this normal? It's extortion!

Secondly, the monetary reward for quests seems strange. 3843 gold? 2765 gold? why such strange numbers? lol I think maybe I'm accustomed to the nice rounded thousands of ED. But it has got me wondering, is the reward more for a speedier conclusion, or more if you take less damage? It just seems like a strange number to me... Almost like I'm missing gold because I did not complete the quest in the best way.

Anyway, as usual, an help would be grand.

Tinman21

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Support
Support

You should get plenty of skill points from mindreading, so can boost/max the associated skill to reduce the cost.

Maybe the programmers got tired of round numbers for gold rewards, or decided when balancing the add-on to change all the gold by a certain percentage, or something.

Legionangel's FoV Walkthrough doesn't appear to list quest rewards (didn't look very closely, since I have not gotten that far yet in DKS), but you could check the Divinity 2 Wiki. Post your gold amount rewards for a couple quests, and maybe someone else will check what they got.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
great, thanks alot. I was worried I was missing out maybe. I hate finishing something and finding out 10 minutes later I could have gotten so much more...lol

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing" - Edmund Burke
A
veteran
veteran
A
"Unround" numbers appear to me more "real-life - related", I think.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
So, the importance of Mind reading is ramped up in FoV?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by born2beagator

Not really, no.

The experience costs for mind-reading are a lot higher, sure, but so are the rewards for dispatching enemies. And since the enemies respawn, you'll never run out of enemies to dig yourself out of the debt.

However, the expansion also gives you 20 more skill points than you need to max all your primary and secondary skills, so investing in Mind Reading won't hurt too much.

old hand
old hand
I was careful with mind-reading minor NPCs during the expansion - the worst parts was when I did mind-read a few people only to get them thinking about something really stupid such as what color socks they should be wearing or what would happen if a fox and a cat joined together. EXP just flew out of the window for such things.

Mind-reading NPCs who are important to a plot seems to pay off more though and mind-reading important NPCs also pays off.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Not really, no.

The experience costs for mind-reading are a lot higher, sure, but so are the rewards for dispatching enemies. And since the enemies respawn, you'll never run out of enemies to dig yourself out of the debt.

However, the expansion also gives you 20 more skill points than you need to max all your primary and secondary skills, so investing in Mind Reading won't hurt too much.

so is mind reading a skill I should definitely invest in? I didn't do it in ED and ended around 35

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Yeah, that's why I didn't want to waste my XP on mindreading. At 1/15 it is 15000 for important info, but at 15/15 it is always 0. So just to avoid reloads I put 15 points into it. I finished the game on hard with no problems, it didn't screw up my build.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Demonic
I was careful with mind-reading minor NPCs during the expansion - the worst parts was when I did mind-read a few people only to get them thinking about something really stupid such as what color socks they should be wearing or what would happen if a fox and a cat joined together. EXP just flew out of the window for such things.

Mind-reading NPCs who are important to a plot seems to pay off more though and mind-reading important NPCs also pays off.

You could always save just before mind reading someone

veteran
veteran

so is mind reading a skill I should definitely invest in? I didn't do it in ED and ended around 35

I never bother investing in Mind Read.

My only concession to the cost is if I KNOW I'll be mind-reading someone, I'll put on my Mind Read Jewelry (bracelet, earrings, amulet) first.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Demonic

You could always save just before mind reading someone

Sometimes I did but I couldn't be bothered to do this with every single NPC.

addict
addict
In previous playthroughs I always invested pts in mindread and wisdom to keep them maxed out. I felt I had to in order to get the highest lvl pos. Since I started DKS I haven't put any in either. Like Stabbey, I just swap out jewelry before I mindread, and only those that payout. I was only able to find 3 pieces w/+1 mr, by lvl 10 or so, and that's all I've got now. Ive been wearing pieces to keep my wisdom at lvl 5, since around lvl 10 as well. I reached lvl 15 by the time I got to Amdus. I'm at lvl 34 and a qtr now with only just a hand full of quest left before going to Aleroth. I know they amped up the exp in DKS.

Has it been worth the effort to bother changing out pieces or investing in either skill? Will it be needed more in FoV?

Hmmm...I'm still on the fence with this.

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 25/04/11 06:57 PM.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

veteran
veteran
Definitely max. out Mindread for FoV.
Re-spec isn't that expensive at that point.

Of course they had to cheapen mindread by respawning enemies *sigh* frown.
I hate having to fight in a dungeon 3x just to finish quests located there.

addict
addict
I can understand using this type of strategy to advance further in the early lvls, as there progression requirements are lower. But, does it actually pay off in the end? For every player that invests a lot in mr and wis there is another that doesn't invest much if at all, and the same lvls seem to be reached.

1+1=2, but at higher lvls that 2 becomes microscopic when it takes a gazillion pts to advance that final extra lvl.

EDIT: I guess we'll see...

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 25/04/11 09:04 PM.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Man I can wait to really dig my teeth into this game, you guys have went over my head , lol
Everytime I sit down for a nice 3 or 4 hour adventure real life jumps in. Is mindread worth
the points ?

addict
addict
Ah... The question of life itself...

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Senior Cinco I find you funny, helpful, hateful, and you must belong in the chaotic class...
not sure which one .... evil, good, neutral... not sure yet, but hey is mindread worth the points..

addict
addict
IMO it would seem that keeping it around a 5 lvl with jewelry does have an advantage, when offset with wisdom, but would not put more than 1-2 skill points in either.

And as far as e,g,n... it's bad,very... bad...

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Gotta ya!! cant be all that bad just gave up some pure wisdom with no payment, I was using
the cloak of trickery... Tricked, Trick!!!! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard