Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Lucreel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
I thought I'd share my thoughts with things I'd like to see in Divinity III, and get other's ideas.

* I'd like to see a quest for Maxos... In Divinity II, we're teased about the mysterious disappearance of Maxos. I think there's a story to be told there

* ZixZax... I think he was probably wise enough got out of Broken Valley before it was gassed. I was hoping I'd have a chance to return his pyramid stones to him, so he can go home. For all I know, imps are immune to the gas anyhow.

* Dealing with the Slayers... I actually thought you'd end up hunted by the Order in DKS. Other than a couple rejects at Orobas's Castle, you really don't see much of the Order at all. I think there needs to be some aspect of trying to deal with them, somehow.

* Restoration of the Dragon Knights. You are the last Dragon Knight. Presumably you will die someday, leaving the world with no Dragon Knights. The Dragon Knights, though, don't seem like they are forever doomed - there's still true Dragons, somewhere (you meet one in Orobas Fjords), so presumably they could create more, should they choose to. I think, however, that they are probably wise enough to decide that if humans want to kill off the Dragon Knights, it's probably not the right time to create more. The other possibility is, if Maxos returns, he could create new Dragon Knights.

There is one other issue - it seems like the Dragon Knights became corrupted, anyhow, so somehow, before creating new knights, there needs to be some way to assure there's at least a good likelihood they won't all become like Lovis.

* I wonder if any of the humans made it out of Broken Valley before Damian killed everyone? Most of the people probably died, but I would think some made it out - we know that Derk and Dana, as well as Folo, escaped, only to die in Aleroth. There must have been some others.

journeyman
journeyman
G'day Lucreel,

personally, i think they are some great story ideas for divinity 3, and i'd like to add a few comments.

I would like to see a little more character customisation involved, instead of just five or so hairstyles and colours etc.

I also think that being able to change the look oif your dragon form would be awesome! Imagine; you could create a dragon from many different mythologies, like the swedish forest dwelling dragons, or the norse vampire-like ice dragons.

Also, along the same thought idea of customising your dragon forms looks, it would also be nice to have a wider array of abilities for him/her.

For instance, using the same example as before, you could take the mythology that swedish forest dragons would become invisible to hunt. You could have a dragon ability that allowed some form of invisibilty for a short time...

Anyway, i'll stop there, but look forward to reading others ideas on this subject, and hearing feedback on my own.

Tinman21

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing" - Edmund Burke
stranger
stranger
Able to burn people from the air, unable to cross wood as a dragon so that when you go to deep you take dommage from the impact with the tree.

Commander Rhode making a return, hopfully a little more usefull this time.

Be able to take refugy into your island once you find a way to get rid of the cloud.

Going into the wall of eco to recruit some powerfull ally.

More missions fighting forteress with ally as backup, when the air def are down the land atk start.

Place that dosen get destroy once you save it once.

more mind read, but link to the time of the speech, people think different thing depending of what you are asking them.

sea battle could be interesting.

L
Lucreel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
I've been thinking about it more. . . if Divinity 3 does involve finding Maxos, or somehow convincing some dragons to create some new dragon knights, there could maybe be a cool opportunity to allow multi-player in Divinity III. Now, I want to clarify, I'm not looking for an MMO version of Divinity, but rather 'small' multiplayer support like a lot of classic games used to have before the MMO craze - where maybe 2-8 players could join up and quest together.

Some crazy, multiplayer aerial dragon raids could perhaps be fun.

Could even do something where, like there's anti-dragon fields, so you all take human form, go off to different areas at the same time to complete objectives together, to shut off the field. Or maybe to disable the magic that keeps a fortress flying, so it crashes to the ground and destroys itself. Stuff like that.

Another idea is (and this would go along with multi-player support well), instead of the game just ending when you die, how about having something like a level in the Hall of Echoes that you have to clear (by clearing, I don't necessarily mean battle - it could be a puzzle, or a jumping challenge, or, I dunno, something) to return to life, or some in-game mechanism of some sort which allows you to 're-incarnate', instead of just loading a save? I've always thought that would be cooler for an RPG - instead of, notionally, a hero that is never defeated (because when you load the save, it's like it never happened), an immortal hero that, thus, ultimately can't be defeated.

journeyman
journeyman
It's interesting you say that, as there is a game (demon souls for anyone who's interested) that incorporates that idea; that is, when you die you are a ghost and have to reincarnate yourself back to human form to regain all strength, health etc. It does add a feel of 'realness' to the game, as oppossed to "oh i died, let's reload and pretend it never happened".

I also like the idea of small multiplayer games, and group only missions would be alot of fun. Imagine a ground assault on an enemy fortress, aided by dragon air support. That would make me smile....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing" - Edmund Burke
veteran
veteran
The Divinity games are about a strong single-player experience. Multi-player support would invariably take resources away which could have been used to make the best possible single-player experience.

I also do not like the idea of ghost form to revive. That kind of thing is either a pain in the butt or a slap on the wrist. A pain would be a pain, and a slap on the wrist makes that mechanic pointless.

I don't know what Zixzax is talking about. The teleporter stones first appeared in Divine Divinity. One was in a sealed room inside skeleton filled catacombs, the other was in an elf's closet. And when Zixzax first appeared, he didn't indicate that the stones were his, he borrowed them from the Divine, then RETURNED them to the Divine later.

What will happen to the Dragon Slayers could be interesting. But with the return of the Divine with the help of a Dragon Knight, I think the order will be more likely to dissolve on its own.

The Dragon Knight might die some day, but that's probably not for a few hundred years. But I think it would be a good idea and interesting for the Dragon Knight to start restoring the order. Talana was not Maxos, but was able to change the slayer into a dragon knight initiate. Perhaps the Dragon Knight could do the same.

Lovis became corrupted, yes, but I don't see how that was any different from how a regular person becomes corrupted with power.

It would be nice to walk on Sentinel Island as the master of the tower.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I don't know what Zixzax is talking about. The teleporter stones first appeared in Divine Divinity. One was in a sealed room inside skeleton filled catacombs, the other was in an elf's closet. And when Zixzax first appeared, he didn't indicate that the stones were his, he borrowed them from the Divine, then RETURNED them to the Divine later.

Maybe it is retcon?

i like all ideas every one listed but if multi-player did seem to happon i thnink 1 person is powerfull as it is so 2 would be a good cap on that.also the difficulty is very varried i still have not complete the final battle becouse she keeps 2 hiting me and i can hit her for hours and take away 1/4 of her health so ya...that could be fixed some and i would like to see some more dragon involved missions and custimization the dragon was almost just a transport to places.

Don't poke the fire. It might poke back!
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Stabbey

What will happen to the Dragon Slayers could be interesting. But with the return of the Divine with the help of a Dragon Knight, I think the order will be more likely to dissolve on its own.

The Dragon Knight might die some day, but that's probably not for a few hundred years. But I think it would be a good idea and interesting for the Dragon Knight to start restoring the order. Talana was not Maxos, but was able to change the slayer into a dragon knight initiate. Perhaps the Dragon Knight could do the same.

Lovis became corrupted, yes, but I don't see how that was any different from how a regular person becomes corrupted with power.

It would be nice to walk on Sentinel Island as the master of the tower.

I'd love to see more gameplay with the dragon knights. Freakin being able to turn into a dragon, how kewl is that lol. I think I had more fun durin that part of the game then the rest of it. I'd also love to see where the DK's become less feared, restoring themselves.

veteran
veteran
That cutscene at the end of Ego Draconis where Damian's flying fortesses take out Champion Harbour? I'd like to see something like that playable - you as a dragon need to defend some place from an attack by Flying Fortresses and enemy air units.

You don't really NEED to take out the towers in FF missions because they can't threaten you on the ground. The next game should have anti-ground towers that a dragon must take care of before assuming human shape.

I'd also like to see missions where the Dragon can lend support to a ground army, whether by taking out anti-GROUND towers or destroying gates and barricades, or taking out tough airborne opponents who would threaten ground troops.

A dragon mission fighting against a large "capital ship" zeppelin would also be a blast.

What I'm saying is that the dragon gameplay needs some spicing up. It's mostly used just for transport in the Ego Draconis part.

stranger
stranger
1. Better combat system than button mashing
2. More frequent autosaves with less of a delay
3. Create more than one creature - you can have a mage, a fighter and a ranger, but can ony use one at a time.
4. Companion NPCs
5. Voiced dialogue
6. Remove charms from objects - at a cost.
7. Escape out of cut scenes - One I've seen one, I've seen them all.
8. The occasional dialoge option that occurs only if you have a cetain NPC companion with you and subtle clues leading up to it that help you figure it out if you pay attention.
9. More dragon form activities adnd dragon specialization. Same for any companions who have dragon forms (which should not be all of them)
10. Dragon vs. Non-dragon combat such as dragon vs a gang of trolls.
12. Two options for object enchangements - Disenchant/enchant for a completely different enchangement or upgrade (from say level 4 to level 7) - which should be easier and cost less in materials.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I've said this on similar previous topics, but to reiterate:

Dragons are supposed to be awesome! Why can't they attack ground troops? And their flaming breath should be able to set scenery on fire, and those fires should spread in a logical fashion. Drakan ('Order of the Flame') managed to implement these features nearly a decade ago, which led to some very intersting game-play strategies. DKS is the closest game I've played to 'Drakan' since, but it seemed to miss the best parts of Drakan's dragon-based combat.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'DKS', but there's always room for improvement. And the fact that my dragon form was always weaker than my human from was a constant source of annoyance...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Trippy
Dragons are supposed to be awesome! Why can't they attack ground troops?

Memory limitations. To avoid it in the future upgrade to 64 bit and have everyone you know do the same.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As Trippy said, Drakan managed this 10 years ago. It's more like a limitation with the gamebryo game engine which would use up too much RAM. My PC is quad core 64 bit with 8Gb RAM but not everyone owns or can afford such a system and the game has to run on a wide variety of systems. Also the Xbox 360 is 5-6 years old now.

The way round it is to probably use a more memory efficient game engine as I'm sure the next game will also be on the Xbox 360. I can't see Larian making two different versions of the game, a limited version for the Xbox and a high end one for the PC as that would cost more and longer to make. But, yes, high end only games for fast 64 bit systems are awesome and the future for gaming is looking good too.

Back to the topic though I would agree that the dragon should be on par with Drakan. There hasn't been a game like that for years and this is the only major thing I'd like to see in the next game. Without repeating what I said in other posts too much I'd like the game to be about restoring the Dragon Knights. Most other people here seem to think the same too. From what Lar said it sounds like Larian have got something awesome up their sleeves that will suprise us all dragon fans next year.

Last edited by Arokh; 02/05/11 11:02 AM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
I am pretty sure it's more about game balance than memory limitations...

Support
Support

Actually, while there would be challenges to balancing the game if the dragon could attack ground opponents, the game was originally designed to allow that. However, Lar stated awhile ago that it required too much memory and had too much of a frame rate hit - Design ideas for Divinity 3 (mostly for Larian).

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I love the dragon parts I saw on the tralior, I just think if you make the dragon form to
powerfull it would fall under the superman syndrome.... Just to overpowered.

Last edited by StoneMonster; 02/05/11 07:56 PM.
old hand
old hand
I'd like the project D game ( which I surmize is Divinity III) taking place in an entirely different continent than Rivellon. Didn't the witch Ursula speak about such a far-away land and didn't she still have evil sisters there? Seems something worth checking out for the Dragon knight.

Since project E is going to be about the Divine *finally* smiting Damian, it seems right that this game is returning to its roots, i.e. be top-down/isometric again like the very first game in the saga.

Last edited by virumor; 02/05/11 10:42 PM.
old hand
old hand
The Blind Wise 800 year old man who you can restore the eye sight off calls your character immortal. He says you are blessed with immortality and wisdom to understand what the human eyes cannot if I recall correctly.

At least I recall this. Maybe he was calling dragons immortal but since a dragon knight is part dragon, perhaps they are immortal (as in never dying by old age) too. I also recall it being mentioned that a dragon knight can eventually become like a full dragon in power.

In any case, I think both The Divine and the Dragon Knight are immortal aren't they?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virumor

Since project E is going to be about the Divine *finally* smiting Damian, it seems right that this game is returning to its roots, i.e. be top-down/isometric again like the very first game in the saga.

"Because that's the way we did it in 2002" is a really dumb reason. I LIKE the way Divinity 2 looks.

Originally Posted by Demonic
The Blind Wise 800 year old man who you can restore the eye sight off calls your character immortal. He says you are blessed with immortality and wisdom to understand what the human eyes cannot if I recall correctly.

At least I recall this. Maybe he was calling dragons immortal but since a dragon knight is part dragon, perhaps they are immortal (as in never dying by old age) too. I also recall it being mentioned that a dragon knight can eventually become like a full dragon in power.

In any case, I think both The Divine and the Dragon Knight are immortal aren't they?

Dragon Knights are probably extremely long-lived if not immortal. They BECAME Dragon Knights by the blessing of Maxos and using his Dragon stone, but the Temple of Maxos has been closed for a LONG time, since before Maxos left Amdusias trapped there, and Laiken has ruled Maxos's battle tower for thousands of years, yet there were still Dragon Knights around.

Last edited by Stabbey; 03/05/11 02:09 AM. Reason: added additional reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard