Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm playing a ranger (I know, my first mistake)... anywho... I'm at the end battle, and keep dying within 3 hits. I've tried jumping around and calling my creature,
but ygerna with her rush and thousand strikes knocks me down every time. I did get the ghost down to half life only to have him heal himself. Any suggestions?

old hand
old hand
Go to your battle tower and re spec? Or take advantage of the respawning enemies and try to increase your levels and stats. If your only save is right at the end, then all you can do is keep trying to jump away from her attacks but surely you have a save before the end fight?

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
hrmm havent gotten to the end fight so im not reading the spoiler.
but all through the game my ranger has been supremely overpowered, eithar that or nightmare mode is glitched because this game is a cakewalk so far killed the divine in two hits and do about 1500 dmg unbuffed to mobs 2 levels above me is it actually gonna get difficult?

Last edited by androshalforc; 10/05/11 02:32 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by androshalforc
all through the game my ranger has been supremely overpowered, eithar that or nightmare mode is glitched because this game is a cakewalk so far killed the divine in two hits and do about 1500 dmg unbuffed to mobs 2 levels above me is it actually gonna get difficult?

I'm surprised about nightmare mode, but I did start on 'easy' and end up on 'hard' - if you build carefully, and spend enough time managing your inventory, enchants and plan for your malachite gems, you're going to be pretty awesome. My DPS mage could do 10,000 damage in 2 seconds by level 40 without potions... (although then I'd be waiting for spell cooldowns, and would have no choice but to spam magic-missile for a 'mere' 3,500 per 1.5 seconds).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Trippy
Originally Posted by androshalforc
all through the game my ranger has been supremely overpowered, eithar that or nightmare mode is glitched because this game is a cakewalk so far killed the divine in two hits and do about 1500 dmg unbuffed to mobs 2 levels above me is it actually gonna get difficult?

I'm surprised about nightmare mode, but I did start on 'easy' and end up on 'hard' - if you build carefully, and spend enough time managing your inventory, enchants and plan for your malachite gems, you're going to be pretty awesome. My DPS mage could do 10,000 damage in 2 seconds by level 40 without potions... (although then I'd be waiting for spell cooldowns, and would have no choice but to spam magic-missile for a 'mere' 3,500 per 1.5 seconds).

That's right. I've read lots of post about people having tuff-times on lesser diff settings. With the right build and/or playstyle, any of the classes can be rather devastating. Dealing 10,000 Dmg is just insane and it's funny how 3,500 is ref to as MERE...LOL

The orig D2:ED was a lot harder IMO, and posed more of a challenge. This is my 2nd playthrough of DKS, on nightmare. My current character is severely gimped at lvl 24 w/ lvl 10 stats, and the OF has not exactly been a walkthrough, as my previous DW Warrior just slaughtered everything. It has however, been the balance of gameplay I was looking for.

The easiest way to make it harder is to get naked and use your fist...lol

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I should qualify my statement: 10k damage was to lower level monsters with negligible magic resistance, and involved 2 spells (level 15 fireball followed by level 15 magic blast), with maxed-out destruction and maxed-out 'way of the battlemage' currently active. And all my equipment was chosen for +magic damage, as well as using a couple of gems for an extra +200 damage on my two weapons. And I only had 700 health (including the +400 health enchants across my 4 armour pieces).

What's more, I had minimal dexterity and strength, so my resistances were rubbish. In fact, the only reason I made it through the game is that I could kill most monsters before they could touch me...

Originally Posted by SENIOR CINCO
The easiest way to make it harder is to get naked and use your fist...lol

That would work! wink

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Trippy
I should qualify my statement: 10k damage was to lower level monsters with negligible magic resistance, and involved 2 spells (level 15 fireball followed by level 15 magic blast), with maxed-out destruction and maxed-out 'way of the battlemage' currently active. And all my equipment was chosen for +magic damage, as well as using a couple of gems for an extra +200 damage on my two weapons. And I only had 700 health (including the +400 health enchants across my 4 armour pieces)

I understand where you're comin' from. I've played around with that DW/Mag Mis thing. I'm not 100% convinced that that was intent and not an ovrsit. Any character, at any point after the tower, can respec and max out Mag Mis and deal massive dmg, even if you screwed up your stats, with the +200 from both weapons (100 ea). I have a very low intel, (in and out of the game) and will use that to fall back on if this character doesn't pan out.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

old hand
old hand
A ranger with maxed ranger strength, dexterity and Splitting arrows should one-shot Ygerna when using Splitting arrows point-blank.

Otherwise, just spam Exploding arrows and she's dead pretty quickly as well.

I don't get why you should be dying.

Just pace yourself, use your pet and you will do it. I beat it with a Ranger that I balanced melee skills with. I had strength and dexterity each at around around 67 and I beat it using only explosive arrows, regular arrow attack with Ursula's Bow and my creature. I released Behrlihn as well, so I had to fight him and Ygerna at the same time.

It took about 10 minutes of running around the outside of the platform and across as I evaded her rush attack which could kill me in 2-3 hits. As long as you avoid this, you should be fine. After Behrlihn and the Demon are dead, your creature really buys you some time to take Ygerna's health down.

In conclusion, a specialized class is totally not necessary, as I did it with a ranger who was evenly balanced between melee and bow. You just have to be careful, time your shots and get into a flow. That said, I too was really surprised by the difficulty spike in this last battle. Took me about 4 times to find the right pace and timing, but it is truly doable. Don't start over, just stick with it.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by virumor
A ranger with maxed ranger strength, dexterity and Splitting arrows should one-shot Ygerna when using Splitting arrows point-blank.

yeah just one shotted her but i also had maxed death blow

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard