Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
When I played through FoV on a fresh character to write my guide (mainly for keeping track of unique FoV monster log entries), I noticed several skills had an increased cap, such as the Weapon Expertise skills capable of reaching level 15 (instead of the 13 cap in ED).

But now that I've got my character from ED there, I can't find the cap increases for the Expertise skills. The only cap increases that became available were Destruction (to 8), and Lockpick (to 7).

Are some skill cap boosts only available if you start a new character in FoV? Or is there some task ED character need to undergo to unlock them?

S
S
There are two Trainers in the Ministry at the start of FoV, they have different specialties...

also, if you start FoV from a loaded ED game, you should still have your Dragonstone to go back to the Battle Tower and talk to your selected trainer.

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
The trainers in the Ministry don't offer those skills. Neither does my tower's skill trainer. I forget which Ministry trainers offered those cap increases in FoV, but I know my skill trainer did. But that apparently only worked for my fresh FoV character. My ED character can't access those skill cap boosts.

Are they only available if you start a character in FoV?

EDIT: And just in case people misunderstand, I'm now playing FoV with a character I started in ED. My origina playthrough I started a character at FoV (the one I wrote my guide with). The FoV-only character could increase the cap of the Expertise skills (Dual-Wield, Two-handed, Unarmed, etc.) to 15, whereas my ED character has his cap stuck at 13, without any trainers having the option of further increases.

Btw, you can access the tower in FoV even if you start a new character. Your servants will be randomly chosen, however.

Support
Support

In my save at the start of FoV I learned unarmed expertise up to level 13 from my battle tower trainer, and then checked the two trainers in the ministry, each of which had 2 of the other expertise skills (up to 13).

With a new FoV character, I checked the ministry trainers first, and they still only had these skills up to level 13 (the male trainer had one handed expertise and sword and shield, while the female trainer had unarmed, duel wield and two handed), and the same with Kenneth in the battle tower. Maybe the level 15 upgrade needs to be unlocked somehow for either a new or existing character?

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

In my save at the start of FoV I learned unarmed expertise up to level 13 from my battle tower trainer, and then checked the two trainers in the ministry, each of which had 2 of the other expertise skills (up to 13).

With a new FoV character, I checked the ministry trainers first, and they still only had these skills up to level 13 (the male trainer had one handed expertise and sword and shield, while the female trainer had unarmed, duel wield and two handed), and the same with Kenneth in the battle tower. Maybe the level 15 upgrade needs to be unlocked somehow for either a new or existing character?

Maybe they do, but if so, I didn't notice a way to unlock them during the story. They must've just appeared.

veteran
veteran
DKS characters who started in Farglow also have the weapon expertise skills stuck at 13.

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
DKS characters who started in Farglow also have the weapon expertise skills stuck at 13.

Well, that's dumb. Is it intended to be that way, or was it an oversight?

If anyone has a character started in FoV, could they give me the level 14 and 15 data for the Expertise skills? I'd check myself, except it would require gaining levels to access level 14 in them (and no skill bonuses on equipment mean no chance of boosting them for a sneak peek).

I just need the numbers as listed in my guide. So Unarmed needs 1 number (a percentage), dual-wielding needs two (main and off-hand), etc. Thanks!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
You're writing a guide but have no full ED+FoV saves available? wink

Support
Support

Presumably he deleted the FoV saves with the new character (started in the add-on) before creating/continuing with a character started at the beginning. There is a stupid 20 save limit on the Xbox, and while it is possible to backup saves to a USB flash drive, it is kind of a pain to manage sets of saves that way.

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

Presumably he deleted the FoV saves with the new character (started in the add-on) before creating/continuing with a character started at the beginning. There is a stupid 20 save limit on the Xbox, and while it is possible to backup saves to a USB flash drive, it is kind of a pain to manage sets of saves that way.

Well actually, I have two memory cards and an internal memory unit on top of my HDD. But alas, I deleted my character's saves before I realized those skills weren't available on an ED character.

EDIT: Nevermind, I kept a couple endgame saves from my FoV character.

EDIT 2: Or not. I can only train Dual-Wielding to 15. The others seem stuck at 13.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard