Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
I just found the beta patch that will transform ED + FoV into DKS.

I have to questions:
A) What are the differences?
B) Will the savegames of a currently running game be compatible?

veteran
veteran
No to the saved games.

There are a lot of differences.

- General graphical improvements all over.

- Level no longer makes a huge difference in the difficulty of a fight. It's important, but it has a much less drastic effect on the damage you do and receive.

- There are new set and unique items to be found in Ego Dragonis. The Hunter/Archmage/Scorpion sets have been scattered around from Sentinel Island to the Flying fortresses, so start looking around BEFORE you get the Battle Tower.

- The Anti-Dragon barrier near the goblin village in Orobas Fjords is gone.

- The Flying Fortresses have been simplified and all of the anti-dragon barriers except one in Stone's FF have been removed. They are also much harder, so if you enter them at level 26 or lower, be careful.

- There are fewer breakable barrels and urns and such. It was crazy how many there were in ED.

- Projectiles move slightly slower, so it's possible to dodge them.

- The road between Champion Harbour, High Hall, and the Red Ore Mine has been redone. The imps are gone, replaced with Black Goblins.

- It is no longer possible to enter the Mining Guild hall in Broken Valley before you get the Battle Tower.

- Rewards have been improved for main quests. You now get a lot more experience (at least for the first couple), and main quests offer 2 optional rewards instead of 1.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Thank you - and dread. Now I have to do another playthrough soonish. wink

veteran
veteran
Yeah, the Re-mastered version is a dream !! smile

If you ever played the first version 'Ego Draconis' and now play the DKS ... amazing awesome improvements !! Only playing my first Flying Fortress (Stone's) I can say :
"I almost can't believe my own eyes ... !!"
It's changed in a fantastic, ... , fun and beautiful way !!
claphands

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Are there also nice improvements to FoV? If "yes", I'd install the patch and start the current run over (currently, I'm 50% through the Fjords; just yesterday, I cleared all those nasty groups of Imps ;)).

Support
Support

There are no significant differences in the FoV portion of the game between DKS and D2:ED+FoV.

veteran
veteran
So does FoV also contain the skill changes of FoV?

It would be painful to start a FoV game and see some of your skills are heavily nerfed?

old hand
old hand
Does FoV remove ED's level-based damage?

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Hmm... I installed it and there are two issues:

First, it says it was successfully updated, but when starting it (DKS) I only get a black screen (and the music runs). Letting it stand for over 30 minutes has brought nothing so far.

Second, the auto-updater for DKS says I don't have it installed. Is the ED+FoV-conversion patch already the highest patchlevel - and how can I patch it in the future if the tool does not even find my "ED+FoV to DKS installation"?

Has anyone else heard of these issues?

edit: These more technical issues have also been posted in the technical issues forum. It seems to be the more appropiate place for this...

Last edited by Silverdragon; 04/07/11 08:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virumor
Does FoV remove ED's level-based damage?

It should. Especially if you have the ED-to-FoV patch thing.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
I just finished the converted game. I probably have missed some of the conversions, but here's what I noticed much:

* The graphics seems to run smoother (I did not spot any visual improvements - which does not mean they are not there).

* The game got significantly easier due to earlier access to good weapons and to better weapons later-on. This mostly means some of the fights that were "not hard but tedious" got more easy to win and the gameplay got much smoother due to this.

* The higher XP-rewards in Broken Valley make much more up for the cost of reading minds. You'll level much quicker for the first levels. The extra-xp did not seem to have any impact once you met Talana. All in all, this is a noticeable and good improvement.

* The balance of the loot drop has changed a lot, I think. "Normal" enemies do not drop loot as often so you do not have to collect as much stuff. All in all, I did not seem to miss much and the game went smoother again.

* Some "tedious" places have been re-designed (Imps in the Fjords) so you do not fight the same, big, group of the same enemies over and over again.

* The flying fortresses have been re-made. They actually now resemble fortresses instead of bare rocks (once you blasted everything off). They have troops there that make more sense than the groups of two to four guys from the Black Ring. Most dragon shields have been removed, so you can play the thing much, much faster.
You also do not have to weed the entire, large fortress anymore for the armour-sets (see below), so you can "show them the might of a dragon", blow of their houses, kill a bunch of them, kill their leaders and leave. The fortresses are much better now.

* The armour-sets (Scorpion, Archmage, etc) have been moved. Instead of being on one of the fortresses each, the sets have been scattered over the world. This makes collecting much more interesting and believable (and you do not have to weed through 100% of four fortresses anymore).
Also, some of the sets are now found in hidden chests that you could reach with solving puzzles or in side-quests, thus the puzzles have seen a significant upgrade in relevance. That's also good.

All in all, the differences are not that big - but they do have a massive impact on the feeling of the game and makes it better to play. I would recommend the upgrade for anyone who has ED+FoV. I has a slight issue with the conversion, but the support could quickly take care of that (two files were missing).

One possible issue is that the patcher of DKS does not recognise my copy as valid copy of DKS, so it might be impossible to install future patches (which does not seem that bad as I think my gameplay was issue-less).

veteran
veteran
On the Xbox the graphics are independent "visual" : much more nice and candy comparing my original ED with my DKS (both on Xbox) !!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
I've only seen a few texture and color differences. The blur in Broken Valley is annoying and the bright colors in Aleroth (for expansion) are killer. These two visuals damage your eyes (everywhere else is good though). I prefer playing Divine Divinity as it's much easier on your eyes.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Oh, what also seems to be different: Enemies seem to target your summoned creates much more often. This makes it more realistic and a bit harder. Another good change (if it acutally is one).

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard