Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
UPD:
Wait, nvm. Project E supposed to be new DivDiv.

Still, as for project D - mixing sci-fi and fantasy, rpg and strategy... well, that is indeed an interesting choice but I for some reason has natural rejection to such mixed setting.

Will be info about Project E reveled soon as well?

Last edited by Kein; 12/08/11 10:40 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
So this is set in time when Maxos was still around and dragon knights ruled the skies. Sounds interesting, i will be lurking here waiting for more news.

Can i ask how many years this game is taking place before events of Divine Divinity , 100? 500? 1000?.

And since trailer showed advanced technology of steampunk does that mean that something bad happened even before council of seven races that forced this technology to be lost?

old hand
old hand
RTS? RPG? Combat too?

Sounds like Kingdom Under Fire (RTS/RPG, hack and slash). Games that combine all these genres are rare. I'm hoping Dragon Commander allows us to fight in human form and if not, then it should allow us to land in dragon form and fight with tooth and claw, I can imagine the fun already!

Last edited by Demonic; 12/08/11 03:31 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Kein
mixing sci-fi and fantasy,

Personally, I wouldn't call "Steampunk" as "Sci-Fi".

It's an own genre, as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Demonic
I'm hoping Dragon Commander allows us to fight in human form and if not, then it should allow us to land in dragon form and fight with tooth and claw, I can imagine the fun already!

Personally, I do hope that this won't happen - because it simply wouldn't be fun wading through the masses.

A Dragon is big and very powerful - this wouldn't be much fun, at least not in my imagination. There just would be no tactical gameplay in wading through the masses.

Close combat against other Dragons - now that would be something different, imho ...

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 12/08/11 03:59 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
RTS? RPG? Combat too?

Sounds like Kingdom Under Fire (RTS/RPG, hack and slash). Games that combine all these genres are rare. I'm hoping Dragon Commander allows us to fight in human form and if not, then it should allow us to land in dragon form and fight with tooth and claw, I can imagine the fun already!

You missed the turn based part. wink

In my experience it is common for fantasy themed turn based strategy (TBS) games to include some RPG elements. The only question is how extensive. Some include enough that when playing specially crafted scenarios / campaigns it could be considered a (simple) RPG. (Age of Wonders for instance)

stranger
stranger
I'm sooooo getting this game day one.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

It's an own genre, as far as I know.

I'm hoping Dragon Commander allows us to fight in human form and if not, then it should allow us to land in dragon form and fight with tooth and claw, I can imagine the fun already!

Personally, I do hope that this won't happen - because it simply wouldn't be fun wading through the masses.

A Dragon is big and very powerful - this wouldn't be much fun, at least not in my imagination. There just would be no tactical gameplay in wading through the masses.

Close combat against other Dragons - now that would be something different, imho ...

Like you said. Dragons are big and powerful (especially in the Divinity universe), so if we can't kill a few ground troops, then what's the point of being a dragon? Kingdom Under Fire allowed you to fight fairly decent and some of the heroes were quite powerful (One hero is a demon who can set his sword aflame and send fire across the battlefield, another hero can cast a holy spell which basically makes his troops unkillable for a certain amount of time and makes his strong attacks hit all enemies to the floor) but at the same time, if you didn't use your troops and failed to position them correctly, you wouldn't be able to progress. KUF is renowned for being a game where you had to be good at fighting as your character AND good at controlling an army simultaneously. If you failed at doing one, you'd be killed with ease. Your hero and his/her troops can easily be destroyed if enemies overwhelm them.

Point being, the dragon can be powerful - to some extent - but if the player attempts to just hack and slash or fire breath their way to victory, it wouldn't work. I mean this game is meant to explore the dragon theme a lot further, if we can't even land on the ground as it...that'll be disappointing.

If there were fights with other dragons, I'm hoping some would be where they actually engage in biting each other (like in the dream you have in Divinity 2, where you're close fighting with another dragon), if done well, then I wouldn't mind if ground combat isn't included but it should be...I mean, the game will have to allow us to attack ground troops with the fire breath surely and the hacking with claws and biting (and maybe even EATING!) is just something one player could choose to do instead. Keep in mind, that while the player fights on the ground, the enemies in the sky will still be there, so it's not like the player can completely ignore them and hack and slash through armies.

I mean, archers will surely be ground units right? They'll probably be deadly to a dragon. So it's not like you're invincible if you landed on the ground and started fighting down there...

Do we even know what battles will be like anyway? If we're leading an army, I'm guessing some will be ground troops...maybe all the battles are flying battles, what with it having steam punk elements...I see that this may be the case and this would mean that there are no ground troops but then what units will there be? Different flying Zeppelins with either archers or magic users in them? Perhaps flying machines which fire canons...

I'm still hoping for some ground battles though...I mean we saw them in Divine Divinity...even Divinity 2 had them (Damien sieging Broken Valley, Seekers sieging the Bandit Camp, Black Ring sieging the mines and Undead attacking Aleroth). Such battles can still have flying enemies but you'll also have enemies on the ground.

Last edited by Demonic; 12/08/11 05:11 PM.
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Well, for me it is kinda suck. I do not like and do not play strategies of any kind, and a combination of so many genres reminds me a Frankenstein monster. I do not fancy moving units and giving them orders, I wan to fly like in D2 and burn the bastards myself! Plus this multiplayer craziness again. What on Earth is happening with normal European single-player RPGs??? So no, no Dragon Commander for me. I hope this game will be just a filler between real RPGs like Beyond Divinity was, and I at least can expect a real RPG in the future. Do not go all strategy/multiplayer on us, Larian! It would be so freaking sad!

enthusiast
enthusiast
There's always project E if this isn't to people's liking. Also you can burn 'the bastards' yourself as well as command your army. What I want is the ability to attack ground troups then land and walk about in dragon form, a feature which was a disapointing omission in DKS.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vivaxardas
Well, for me it is kinda suck. I do not like and do not play strategies of any kind, and a combination of so many genres reminds me a Frankenstein monster. I do not fancy moving units and giving them orders, I wan to fly like in D2 and burn the bastards myself! Plus this multiplayer craziness again. What on Earth is happening with normal European single-player RPGs??? So no, no Dragon Commander for me. I hope this game will be just a filler between real RPGs like Beyond Divinity was, and I at least can expect a real RPG in the future. Do not go all strategy/multiplayer on us, Larian! It would be so freaking sad!

On the other hand such a hybrid opens up more possible roles to play. Specifically it opens up the possiblity of playing a leader, which could be quite intersting and different from the experience other RPGs can provide.

As to MP, I am sure Larian would never include MP at the cost of lessening the SP experience. For this game, you have to have MP to make a real game about war; otherwise, it is just a very slow and very large puzzle game.

Originally Posted by Lar_q
Become the Emperor

Forge alliances; seek out arcane magic; fund military technology; woo powerful princesses; torture innocent imps. Will you be remembered as Sergei the Cruel, or Swen the Wise?

I know this is just a pitch document, but... we will be able to play as a woman, yes? To become Empress? To woo powerful princes (or princesses, because who I am to judge)? To become Serena the Cruel or... erhm... Selestia the Wise?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vivaxardas

The game is boasting more about single player than multiplayer. Multiplayer is just there for those who want it. I believe NWN and Baldur's Gate had multiplayer but they were solid RPGs with long campaigns. Larian's first game was actually an RTS BTW...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

[Linked Image]

Yeah, sorry, obviously steampunk >_>
Well, it is not more like the setting (I'm big fan of Arcanum), it is more about genre and the gameplay concept. Perhaps my expectations played its role here as well.

veteran
veteran
I wonder how this game, if only be a hero(ïn) in Dragon form(?), can be a RPG and RTS together ?
Then I wonder how the RPG elements are imported in such a game?
In Dragon form : can I search area's, open chests(?) or bodies to find "loot" to upgrade my build ? I can imagine I that a dragon can take loot with his/her claws ...

I hope you can be a male and/or female dragon/human ...
I hope you can go into big caves where you can walk OR fly ...
I hope Dragon Commander is a strategy game with lots of funny/strong RPG elements (loot, lots of different equipment pieces, quests(!!!) and funny humor, NPC's to talk with ...)

I hope also not all of this game is combat, so I hope there're many parts(quests) you can play in different ways (combat vs Talking with characters), maybe also peaceful ways to become a real Dragon commander !? smile

I'm also curious if something like Mindreading or another New Feature will be there in Dragon commander ????

I hope this game is coming on PC & Xbox too smile

But in the meanwhile I'm still a long time buzzy with the DKS ... playing it over and over again like i already did with DD, still do :hihi:

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
^
The Dragon could be customized with new abilities, skills, statistics and armor most likely. However, the "exploration" feature suggests there must be a human form to go and explore in caves maybe. I don't see how it could be done otherwise unless you get to fly in an open world, going to new locations but then how do you interact with things?

What with the game being an RTS too where you control a kingdom, I'm pretty sure you may get to talk to resolve a conflict.

We'll see. There's still so much information that needs to be revealed!

Support
Support

Since you are playing a dragon knight, I would expect you to be able to transform (even if the combat is primarily dragon form). IIRC the first dragon knights were elves, though if it is late enough that Maxos was given the ability to create dragon knights, then humans would be a possibility, as well.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by yoomazir
I'm sooooo getting this game day one.

You'll have to get in line, The line starts behind ME lol wink

stranger
stranger
Will this be available for the xbox360 too? I don't have a PC. I work on a mac so my gaming machine is a 360.

stranger
stranger

Will be info about Project E reveled soon as well?

Larian will be attending a venue called gameland in Belgium 10-11th sept. and on its site they say that Larian will reveal something soon on the site of the venue.

Maybe project E? smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Heather Li
Will this be available for the xbox360 too? I don't have a PC. I work on a mac so my gaming machine is a 360.

I don't see why it won't be Larian gave us Divinity 2 ego draconis & Dragon Knight Saga I can't see Larian Abandoning us now & there xbox fanbase is still growing. I've converted my fair share of xbox gamers to Divinity & I know many others have also done so (Evil laugh) WE SHALL NOT STOP UNTIL WE HAVE CONQUERED THE WORLD evil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard