A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Okay, thanks, I see.

I think some post-nuclear gammes would fall into that category, I guess ?

Yes, some of those games could indeed, though it really depends. There is an even further and smaller sub-genre called "atompunk" that those games would fit into though, like Fallout. Early cold war era, that one is.

So any of the devs confirm if my dieselpunk guess is correct, incorrect, or if this is the first time they've heard of the word "dieselpunk" :P.

stranger
stranger
*Whoops, didn't log in. That last post is mine sorry. Didn't know you could even post without an account here, noob mistake. First forum I've come across that has that.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Okay, thanks, I see.

I think some post-nuclear gammes would fall into that category, I guess ?

Yes, some of those games could indeed, though it really depends. There is an even further and smaller sub-genre called "atompunk" that those games would fit into though, like Fallout. Early cold war era, that one is.

So any of the devs confirm if my dieselpunk guess is correct, incorrect, or if this is the first time they've heard of the word "dieselpunk" :P.

old hand
old hand
I'm hoping (if we can't turn into human form) that we can land on ground as a dragon and fight with tooth and claw! That'll be awesome.

I'll be honest. One of the reasons I liked Divinity II so much was because it scratched an itch Overlord didn't. Being an incredibly powerful... uhm... being and being the absolute ruler of your very own magical island made me feel like I was actually, genuinely in charge for once (even with Talana constantly nattering in my ear).

RTSs and God Games don't really give you that feeling, because you have no avatar in the gameworld and you're fairly disconnected from the action. Dungeon Keeper came pretty close, what with allowing you to be as cruel or as kind to your minions as you liked.

So, I guess, what I'm trying to say here is that, if I get actually roleplay my very own Dragon Knight while also commanding vast armies (or just one vast army) and perhaps even get my very own highly customizable base on a magic island of my own, I might be very interested indeed.

But we'll see.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis
I'll be honest. One of the reasons I liked Divinity II so much was because it scratched an itch Overlord didn't. Being an incredibly powerful... uhm... being and being the absolute ruler of your very own magical island made me feel like I was actually, genuinely in charge for once (even with Talana constantly nattering in my ear).

RTSs and God Games don't really give you that feeling, because you have no avatar in the gameworld and you're fairly disconnected from the action. Dungeon Keeper came pretty close, what with allowing you to be as cruel or as kind to your minions as you liked.

So, I guess, what I'm trying to say here is that, if I get actually roleplay my very own Dragon Knight while also commanding vast armies (or just one vast army) and perhaps even get my very own highly customizable base on a magic island of my own, I might be very interested indeed.

But we'll see.

Yes, you grew powerful in Divinity 2 whereas in Overlord, you were fairly weak against some enemies and couldn't progress without your minions. Divinity 2's Battle Tower offered no customization whatsoever whereas with Overlord, there was MUCH reason to visit your Dark Tower. I spent hours battling in the dungeon with resurrected enemies, I could upgrade my weapons and armor there, visit my private quarters and look at the horde of gold I have amassed and I could also visit the minions in their pits and cast spells down there. With skill, good armor and a good weapon, you can take down a Rock Giant alone. In fact, by the end of the game, my Overlord could handle himself in many fights and his spells were quite powerful too. Yeah, he was never as powerful as any of my Divinity heroes but he could control an army and fight, Divinity 2 didn't allow that.

I'm interested in this game because it sounds like it'll be covering new ground. The RPG elements...I'm hoping they allow for great in-depth customization of our Dragon Knight.

Originally Posted by Demonic
Yes, you grew powerful in Divinity 2 whereas in Overlord, you were fairly weak against some enemies and couldn't progress without your minions.

It wasn't really that, for me. In Overlord you're constantly being bossed around by pretty much everyone (especially Gnarl) and you have no choice but to obey. You may look like Sauron, but you're not in charge.

Contrast this with Divinity II. Yes, OK, Talana constantly tells you where to go and what to do, but she's older and more powerful than you, so, whatever. Sentinel Island, too, forces your hand, but her actions are designed to impress upon everyone that you are her absolute ruler. And your servants actually act like servants who respect your power. All of which combines to make you feel like you're actually the one running things for once.

Unlike Overlord where you feel like you're just a glorified errand boy.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Demonic
Yes, you grew powerful in Divinity 2 whereas in Overlord, you were fairly weak against some enemies and couldn't progress without your minions.

It wasn't really that, for me. In Overlord you're constantly being bossed around by pretty much everyone (especially Gnarl) and you have no choice but to obey. You may look like Sauron, but you're not in charge.

Contrast this with Divinity II. Yes, OK, Talana constantly tells you where to go and what to do, but she's older and more powerful than you, so, whatever. Sentinel Island, too, forces your hand, but her actions are designed to impress upon everyone that you are her absolute ruler. And your servants actually act like servants who respect your power. All of which combines to make you feel like you're actually the one running things for once.

Unlike Overlord where you feel like you're just a glorified errand boy.

I actually found that The Dragon Knight seems to get played. Talana tells him where to go, what to do and even tricks him and traps him into the dimension with The Divine One. Even after that, The Dragon Knight is told where to go and what to do by The Demon Man.

Overlord? Yeah, you're bossed around by Gnarl but you don't have to obey him. He asks you to do evil deeds but you can be good. He asks you to kill elves at one point and let the elves die but you can save their entire race. Just as you can be good - saving all - you can also be bad - killing all in your way - and if you really want to compare freedom, then Divine Divinity has more than either game offers. The Divine One abilities were far more interesting than dragon abilities in Divinity 2. Further more, you could summon a small army if you wished and raid whatever village, town or city that suited your fancy (save for one fort).

old hand
old hand
It sounds like land will be live action combat.
Air will be both the RTS (Age of Empires) and Turn Based.

Sounds very promising and perhaps we'll actually live the battle that sent the Lord of Chaos into Hell. It would be very interesting to play the prologue to Sword of Lies (a.k.a. Divine Divinity). I remember years ago I'd be daydreaming about the events prior to Sword of Lies when only the demo was out.

Very promising, indeed.

BTW, in the next video can we get more than 13 seconds of actual in-game footage?

Last edited by LightningLockey; 13/08/11 04:50 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
E
stranger
stranger
E
Is it downloaded or buy the disc?

Support
Support

Probably both. Publishers have not been announced yet, though, let alone distribution methods.

Welcome to the forum. wave

old hand
old hand
Interesting smile

A
veteran
veteran
A

Well, I don't think Divinity 2 was meant to be an "Overlord" game.

and playing absolutely powerful characters - this is typical for Action-RPGs where the main goal is (imho) nothing but power-levelling and power-gaming.

And, there are just too many of this type nowadays.

It seems to me as if EVERYONE who wants to play does this only for ONE reason . To be the most powerful EVAR !!!111!!11 being within a game.

And "the industry" just caters these things.

Which is - by the way - in my poinion the source of the hatred for games like Drakensang or outright - as many say - "childish games" like pure "adventure games" (like Monkey Island, for example), which contain *nothing* in the way of power-levelling ...

I often have the impression as if power-oriented games are king and everything else is considered just childish, immature crap.

A few days ago I saw an entry on the animated TV series "My Little Pony" : "Are you man enough to see it ?"

Action-RPGs which are solely based on the premise of building an overly-powerful "Über-Lord" (which is quite a good translation of the title "Overlord", by the way) are nothing for me - aspecially since I favour story over everything else.

But "the induistry" follows this call : They do more and more graphically excellent power-building games with only a shallow to non-existent story.

This can be fun - but so-called "story-oriented players" want a story, too. And "the industry" doesn't deliver it, because it is sooo easy to build a game, and leaving out any relevant story, because a story = more costs.

And don't ever dare to call the story of Blizzard's D2 a "great story" in my presence ! - Because in the adventures genre, there are far better stories to be found, not this hack & slash crap ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by lynn
epic turn-based strategy

One important question remains: is it epic as in 4X (for those that do not know what that is, see this)?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gwenio
epic turn-based strategy

One important question remains: is it epic as in 4X (for those that do not know what that is, see this)?

I doubt it will be a Civilization game, but with dragons. At least I hope not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm thinking homeworld with dragons with a bit of tactical planning from your battle tower as someone else said. You can then join in on the big battles if you wish.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
May be exploring and building part will be like in Heroes of M&M, with several heroes exploring the map, gathering resources, finding some relics and such, and it is be turn-based. Battles may be like in Medieval 2 TW, real-time ground (castle defenses and land units with some air support) against air assaults, and air battles only (zeps and dragons against flying fortresses), depending against who we fight (other armies, some wild tribes, or attack castles).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Gwenio
epic turn-based strategy

I doubt it will be a Civilization game, but with dragons. At least I hope not.

I was thinking more along the lines of Age of Wonders and Lords of Magic than Civ.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Interesting Twitter-Bit :

@Larian_DC Dragon Commander
Talking about attention and gamer interest - the comments in this one sparked interesting debates over here.... http://fb.me/FmFBFRgl

The link goes to : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/11/divinity-ii-devs-declare-dragon-commander/

The comments there are interesting, too ... Because the majority seems to want to have turn-based combat ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
The comments there are interesting, too ... Because the majority seems to want to have turn-based combat ...

If it had turn based tactics then there would be people complaining about that too, as they did with Elemental (though part of that was they had originally said the battles would be in reat time).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Those comments are interesting alright. There's one or two idiots there who dismiss the game already; It's very difficult to form an opinion on what little info has been released. We can speculate on what it is like but for those people who say its crap already it would be better to wait till after gamescom before saying it will suck.

For me, personally I hate turn based combat games but however the other content will make up for it. Difficult to describe but I just get the feeling the game will be great and if Larian get their advertising right it will be a hit in 2012.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard