Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Thank you for the DRM removal patch, Lar. If all companies did this I would never complain about DRM again.

Darkling, if you care so much about DRM why did you buy it on Steam in the first place?

D
stranger
stranger
D
StingingVelvet: Steam isn't DRM, in itself. It's a client that accesses a database of game data. Whether or not the game has any DRM is up to the developer/publisher/whoever is in charge of that. Not Valve, unless of course its their game. This is proven by there being no Steam hooks in Divinity 2. The version you purchase on there is not linked to the Steam client, you can run it with Steam closed, no problem. It's been that way for as long as I've owned the game, so I don't really even know what you're talking about. Also, you should show more respect to one of your beloved companies digital distribution channels. You do realize front page ads on Steam helped push this game into the North American gamers view in a way the lack of coverage by the gaming press never did.

What bothers me is that the very day Larian announces a patch to remove DRM, my game is de-activated by Securom. For no apparent reason. One of the value added features of Steam is automatic and invisible downloading and installation of patches. I expected when Larian did this, they would have pushed it through their digital distributors. I'm disappointed they didn't. I hope the slightly better position I'd hope Divinity 2's success has left them in gives them some more say in packaged DRM in the future. :P

Sorry for ruffling feathers. But I still have a question: Is this patch being pushed through Steam at some point? It really should. Securom is the worst.

Last edited by darkling; 03/12/11 04:02 AM.
addict
addict
I have a Non-Steam version of DKS [from Amazon download]. Yep, new replacements EXE runs fine here.

Are Steam owners of DKS going to get the new NO DRM EXE issued to them directly through Steam?

Last edited by MysterD; 03/12/11 05:31 AM.
Support
Support

I expected when Larian did this, they would have pushed it through their digital distributors. I'm disappointed they didn't.

The publishers allowing DRM removal doesn't necessarily mean they are inclined to actively test / promote / distribute the patch themselves. You'd think customer service would encourage them to do so awhile after a game's release, though (or at least as the game price drops that DRM related support would not be worth it for the minor amount of pirating it prevents).

Steam has their own patch release process. If they do add the DRM free executable to automatic updates, there will be a bit of a delay before they can do so (as there was with the patch).

old hand
old hand
That is not what they said. They said they would provide a patch that would work with the steam version. I believe you still have to download and install it manually.

Originally Posted by darkling
So what you're saying is they aren't distributing this patch to people who purchased this game through Steam using the Steam update system? Even though he said in his post that they were? I bought the game through Steam with the expectation that when a patch is released, it will be provided through the Steam update service. That's what it's for. And yes, the .exe of the Steam version is 1.4.9.70.

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Raze is correct. We have distributed the patch to Steam through Focus and I expect it'll be online somewhere next week, so you don't need to apply the DRM patch to the Steam version. It'll happen automatically.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Raze is correct. We have distributed the patch to Steam through Focus and I expect it'll be online somewhere next week, so you don't need to apply the DRM patch to the Steam version. It'll happen automatically.

AWESOME news. EVERYBODY Wins!

Everybody support Larian and get DKS Edition, if you haven't already.

There is NO reason to miss out on this game, given the DRM-Free EXE is out for download and that Larian is bringing it as an update for Steam version of the game!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
StingingVelvet: Steam isn't DRM, in itself. It's a client that accesses a database of game data. Whether or not the game has any DRM is up to the developer/publisher/whoever is in charge of that. Not Valve, unless of course its their game. This is proven by there being no Steam hooks in Divinity 2. The version you purchase on there is not linked to the Steam client, you can run it with Steam closed, no problem.

You need to activate with Valve when installing Steam games, which is DRM. Any time you need to ask company permission to install your game and get it functional that is DRM.

DRM does not only mean activation limits.

M
stranger
stranger
M
So with this DRM removal patch:
Does it mean I can install DKS on any computer (I have the physical DVD copy of the game) , update it to the latest patch (I have it saved in my external hard drive) and then change the original game EXE file with the DRM removal one, and play the game without EVER having connected to the internet to activate the game?
If so GREAT!

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding this is what is possible with this DRM removal EXE file.

p.s. When will Divinity II: Ego Draconis have it's DRM removed also as this only applies to DKS, right?

stranger
stranger
Great news! Gonna pick up the game now.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Stargazer
This is good news (and long awaited by some) but there is a problem - the PC version of DKS is no longer available in the retail channel, so those who boycotted it on principle (I've never purchased a game requiring online activation and don't intend to) don't have the ability to support Larian's change of heart.

As such, how about arranging for a DKS release on GOG? Since they've announced they'll start stocking newer games, being one of the first should offer some welcome publicity.

Physical copies here:
Click here!

enthusiast
enthusiast
@whoever wants to play the Steam version of the game DRM-free and can't wait until the automatic patch is available:
* Simply replace the .exe and run the .exe from the installed directory (default is: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\divinity ii - dragon knight saga\bin)

@darkling: you can't use the steam client to run a "changed" .exe. If you replace the .exe and then try to launch the game via Steam, it's not going to work. Running it directly from the installed directory should work just fine as it is not linked to securom or steam in any way.

If you don't want to play around with .exe's on Steam, it's best to simply wait until the DRM-free patch is available on Steam via automatic update.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Metroplex78
So with this DRM removal patch:
1) Does it mean I can install DKS on any computer (I have the physical DVD copy of the game) , update it to the latest patch (I have it saved in my external hard drive) and then change the original game EXE file with the DRM removal one, and play the game without EVER having connected to the internet to activate the game?
If so GREAT!

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding this is what is possible with this DRM removal EXE file.

2) p.s. When will Divinity II: Ego Draconis have it's DRM removed also as this only applies to DKS, right?

1) Yes
2) There are currently no plans to remove Ego Draconis DRM due to a number of possible issues

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
To extrapolate on those issues - they are contractual ones frown

veteran
veteran
A bit of offtopic, but in the light of latest release spree... any word on savegames coveter?

D
stranger
stranger
D
You still haven't distributed the patch via Steam. What's the hold up? You or Focus?

M
addict
addict
M
You still haven't distributed the patch via Steam. What's the hold up? You or Focus?

It's Steam that takes some time to validate the patch.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein
A bit of offtopic, but in the light of latest release spree... any word on savegames coveter?

Jesus Christ I can't type. i meant the "Savegames converter", from D2 to DKS.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Is the patch also valid for the German version?

Yes! Works without a hitch.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard