Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#453822 06/03/12 01:34 PM
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Im level 12 and still absolutely loving this game. I have the Dragons Knight Saga edition.I have played RPGS from Baldurs Gate2, Fallout 2, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Dragon Age and many more.. but so far this game has blown me away! I have no idea why it hasnt got better reviews, but I dont care about score.

Anyway..

I'm playing on Nightmare .. Sometimes.

Occasionally (mostly when I load up a saved game) the mode changes from nightmare to what I can only think of as medium or lower. It doesn't change in the "gameplay" option but I can tell.

Il use my bow as an example, even though I'm a Mage smile

Without the bug - I hit goblin it takes 1/20 health off
With big - I hit goblin it takes 1/5 off.

I then have to move slider from nightmare to hard, then back up again and come out. I know this can be done every time, but I don't know it's happened until I hit something and then realise I'm taking to much health off.

Any ideas? I've only started paying this so I'm hoping other people have experienced this and can hopefully help.

Oh and is there and achievement for completing on Nightmare? As if I'm moving bar to hard then back to nightmare wont this effect it?

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Oh and im playing on Xbox 360 lol

veteran
veteran
First of all, a warm welcome to the forum wave

I play on nightmare, on Xbox and the DKS version, and experienced sometimes that an enemy is very fast killed and that's indeed strange.
But to know, I experienced this also on lower difficulties ! So I believe this kind of strange thing (bug?) has nothing to do with the difficulty, but with something I don't even know ... .

I read on this forum that some players have it vise versa : they play and like it comes from nowhere, they undergo a very hard hard battle, so hard that it "seems" the difficulty is changed to a much higher level !

And at some places I lowered the difficulty and I noticed no big difference between nightmare or casual, so last time I did not lowered the difficulty (example with "Zagan", a Demonish Dragon in a cave at High Hall , Orobas Fjords).

But I don't change the difficulty in my current playthrough (on nightmare) and only experienced this strange thing 1 time (so far) in Stone's Flying Fortress with a Creature/Demon-kind-of-enemy I can remember that and ... 1 shot of my bow and it was already stone death :hihi:

I don't know if there is an achievement for playing the whole game on Nigthmare. I don't believe there is such one, but if somebody knows it for sure, say it to us wink

Greetings and have big pleasure with your Mage. smile

DKS is way much more addictive than all other rpg's. For me it's because the Divinity games are magnificent, big fun, tons of humour, intuitive gameplay, lovely NPC's, dialogs, Mindreadings and the sounds are "music for my ears" laugh !!
And last, but not least, the skills, the quests, the loot, the merchants (trading) and so on and so forth ... I can "try" to describe this rpg in 1 word (but I can't!) :
This Game is a "Gem" !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Support
Support

Are these difficulty drops related to dying and reloading? Some time ago, in this topic, Senior Cinco reported that issue. It isn't very common, though, and I don't know if there is a solution other than manually changing the difficulty (you can try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem and maybe a link to this topic).

As Joram mentioned, there have been a few cases where certain opponents were either very tough or could not be harmed, I think more in the original release of D2:ED than DKS (generally leaving the area and returning would fix the problem). In D2:ED one person reported that boars could not be hurt with magic, until they were hit with a weapon (many of the boars/ducks/chickens were removed in DKS).
I don't think the difficulty level for the fight with Zagan is a bug/glitch, though, since a couple people reported it was challenging even on casual.

I ran into two cases with particular groups of opponents being much more difficult than they should have been (on nightmare). The second area I died and reloaded a few times, quit to the main menu, then decided to give it another shot and loaded the auto-save, after which the game made the difficulty much lower (with the difficulty setting unchanged). In both cases the difficulty was back to usual after restarting the game the next day (I also played the Xbox version).

There are no difficulty level based achievements.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Thanks for the info guys.

Joram, "DKS is way much more addictive than all other rpg's. For me it's because the Divinity games are magnificent, big fun, tons of humour, intuitive gameplay, lovely NPC's, dialogs, Mindreadings and the sounds are "music for my ears" laugh !!
And last, but not least, the skills, the quests, the loot, the merchants (trading) and so on and so forth ... I can "try" to describe this rpg in 1 word (but I can't!) :
This Game is a "Gem" !"
I couldnt have said it better myself!

Raze, I might just do that and see what the support team say. Thanks for their email address.What ive noticed is.. it is VERY challenging on Nightmare.. probably the most I have been challenged in a RPG bar Dark Souls... I love this in a game. When the "bug" kicks in which only seems to happen after I die and reload, the game gets to easy.. 4 shots and a guy that would normaly take some tactics to defeat is dead.

Im glad there is no achievement, I play it on nightmare for the challenge.. and no I feel I can just move the slider to hard, then back to nightmare on each reload.

Also.. I am still in Broken Valley area.. (I dont want anyone to give anything away lol) but is this area just a small part of this game.. I hope so. I would like to play this game for a very long time. Im not at the Battle Tower yet (ive found it, but not high enough level to beat the bad guys... yet) and my inventory space is getting low frown
Does the expansion pack kick in as soon as I finish the main game? and is there more skills/enemies/loot etc in the expansion? Cheers.

Support
Support

When the "bug" kicks in which only seems to happen after I die and reload, the game gets to easy..

In DKS I died a few times in a couple places and there was no automatic difficulty drop. When I did get the drop, I had returned to the menu and loaded the autosave, where I usually hit A to load a save on the death screen, then load a manual save. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it, though.

I wouldn't call Broken Valley a small part of the game, but there is another map about the same size, and a couple smaller maps. Lovis' tower is not the battle tower you can take over.

You should be able to free up some inventory space. There is also a skill to boost your capacity, if you have the points to spare. You can unlearn all your skills after getting the battle tower (at a character level in the late teens to early twenties), and get those points back once you have access to the chest there to store things. I learned that skill in the original release of D2:ED, but didn't need to in DKS, since I had a better idea of what I needed to keep, and what I didn't.

I usually kept quest related books (even if they were just added for info or atmosphere), but sold ones that show up in randomly generated loot, etc (like the different 'History of' book series). If you check the consumable section of your inventory, you may have a stat/skill book there you can use to free up some space. Any required books should be in the quest item section of your inventory, though there are a couple books which you can read yourself to get a bonus or give to someone to complete a quest. In any case, after you've read a book you can sell or destroy it (as long as it is not marked as a quest item, in which case it doesn't count towards your inventory limit).

If you have any creature parts you only need to keep the best of each type. I kept a list of my current top part stats handy so I could sell any lesser versions before talking to the necromancer (and working on the creature), so I wouldn't clutter up the part list when any new pieces I had with me were added. In DKS creature parts can also get added to the necromancer's list from any merchant's inventory, if you sell or buy anything in that section of the inventory (and maybe just switching to it).
You can get rid of potion and enchantment formula by talking to the alchemist and enchanter (any left in your inventory after going into the alchemy or enchantment functions will be duplicates, and can be sold).

Alchemy plants and enchantment gems and minerals are easy to acquire after getting the battle tower, so you can get rid of any you are not going to use. Keep malachite gems, since there is a limited supply in the game, and ginseng (etc) for healing potions, but if you have multiple stacks of the same item, you can safely get rid of the extra stacks. Iron, whisperwood and fatfern are fairly common, for example; you can make more money with the latter two if you make level 1 or 2 Full Resistance or Dexterity potions, and sell the potions rather than just the ingredients.

If you have any equipment that you are hanging onto because it might be good once you get higher level enchantments or better charms, by the time you do you will most likely also have found equipment with better base stats (my first game in the original release of D2:ED I hung onto lots of stuff I ended up just selling later).

The expansion continues seamlessly from the end of D2:ED; if you didn't play the original release or start a new level 35 character in FoV, you might not recognize the transition. FoV does contain more skills (mostly just higher levels of some of the existing skills, though), enemies (some of which respawn periodically, until you complete an associated quest) and loot, etc.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Wow thanks for all the info Raze. Really appreciate it!

Ive replied to the thread you told me about as I have also experienced this
I dont know if people are also experiencing this as well...
Enemies keep walking away during battle.. my summoned creature does this also at times. Its annoying as my creature will leave the fight and just start walking towards me (im shooting arrows from a little distance away) and getting killed. Enemies also are making the "nightmare" setting a little dissapointing at times as when they are walking back they wont retaliate to me hitting them with everything I have got.

Im assuming there are no staffs in this game (im not bothered as everything else makes up for it) so I have a bow, shield and sword.. ive noticed my manna goes up when I have shield and sword equpied due to the enhancements. Is there any beneift of having sword and shield for a mage other than get the stats they provide?

I have some forumlas for potions but I dont know where I can find the ones I currently have.. I guess I can just go to the tree and write them down. I was going to buy some formulas but they were taking up inventory space even though I cant actually see them in my inventory...0.o

Support
Support

There are no staffs. Other than the bonuses, or as a backup for close quarter fights, there is no particular benefit to equipping a sword and shield for a mage.

In DKS duel wielding is quite effective for a mage. The magic damage bonus/enchantment of both weapons is applied to spells (including each missile in a Magic Missile volley). There is no need to boost the duel wield skill if you are not going to engage in melee combat, as the off-hand weapon penalty is not taken in to account for spell damage.

You should be able to see the formula in your inventory. There is no way to check the ones you have other than by talking to an alchemist (I kept a written list handy when I played, to keep track of the potion and enchantment formula I had).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

Other than the bonuses, or as a backup for close quarter fights, there is no particular benefit to equipping a sword and shield for a mage.

I wish to say something about this :
playing a Priest I need many Mana. In the first place I only used a bow or 2-handed sword, but since I love trading and see nice shields with a good bonus to Spirit (and/or Vitality!), I buy that shield. Further on in the game you must fight against 'Laiken' and his Sword gives +2 to Summon Mastery, a Priest Skill ! So since then I use that 1-handed Sword and yet the best shield I can find or buy ! And if I see/find a better one (with a higher bonus to Spirit/Vitality or more empty charm slots - to put Intelligence charms in them for a faster Mana regeneration(!), I change to that shield and sell the lower one . smile

But you can concentrate also on Spirit boosts on all other equipment so a shield isn't that important anymore. Probably in my next playthrough I wish to play a Mage Priest without shield & sword and only take a bow OR 2-handed sword, because I love that more than sword + shield .

Originally Posted by Raze

You should be able to see the formula in your inventory. There is no way to check the ones you have other than by talking to an alchemist (I kept a written list handy when I played, to keep track of the potion and enchantment formula I had).

I do the same : making a list of all my formula's (for potions & enchantments) & for all creature bodyparts + many more I write down while playing wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by memphis12
Im level 12 and still absolutely loving this game. I have the Dragons Knight Saga edition.I have played RPGS from Baldurs Gate2, Fallout 2, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Dragon Age and many more.. but so far this game has blown me away! I have no idea why it hasnt got better reviews, but I dont care about score.

Yeah I have to agree. I can't remember having this much fun. I do remember getting this hooked off Ape Escape, Vagrant Story, Baldur's Gate DA and Drakan Ancient Gates. I'm thinking this may be the best I ever played, but it's been since 98 I started playing.

I'd say everything (game mechanics, menu, story... etc) just blends together just right. Voice acting is excellent. Especially the bad guys.

Maybe the first Ego Draconis had some issues. It's all it takes no matter how good the game is sometimes. But I'm just guessing.

But yeah... way under the radar.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Hey ChrisHLD, "flying under the radar" is just about right.

I honestly can't get enough of this game. It seems that it does everything perfect. The loot is just right for me, not to much, but you really appreciate it when you get it. Combat .. Awsome! Skills and unleashing them - awsome! Story, characters, humour - awsome. Even small side quests are so interesting I find. This is def in my top 5 RPGS. I'm hoping the expansion I have with the game is long and as interesting. The game must be riddled with bugs, as it crash's on me a lot. But I can tolerate it as the game simply blows me away.
As Joram said - "gem"

I wonder if you guys can tell me how far in game I am. Possible spoilers.

I've just gotten the gem stone that lets me turn into a dragon. I am now a dragon for first time (other time it was a vision by that girl) how much more of game is there? I'm hoping loads..
Also there was area in broken valley right at bottom of map, when I climed long road up, it asked me if I wanted to enter this area. After googling it, it said I should be at least level 20 b4 going in.
Expansion around 25 hours would you say?

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I would say you are more than one third into the game. Closer to 1/3rd than halfway though. This is a long game for a console action rpg.

That’s the fjords you were entering. Some people do it early I hear but I’d say you’d be using up a lot of potions. But if you got the dragon stone you're ready now.

Wanted to say I can’t play first person viewing games for some reason. So Oblivion and Skyrim I quit early. Can’t say they were better games or not. But for third person console action rpg – DKS is best easily. Unless I missed something.

Last edited by ChrisHLD; 11/03/12 09:41 PM.
Support
Support

Total playtime should be about 60 to 100 hours (Anyone Played For 100 Hours?). In the original release just the D2:ED section of the game took me 75 hours, exploring everywhere and doing all the quests. IIRC Larian's official (conservative) estimate was 40 hours for D2:ED and 20 for FoV (I didn't keep track, but I'd guess I spent at least 25 hours on the expansion).

I entered the fjords at level 13 with my ranger, and didn't have too much trouble. There were a couple places I had to run/jump away, but didn't need to use many potions. The opponents give a lot of experience, so you can level there relatively easily. After getting to level 16 I returned to Broken Valley to clear up some stuff before heading to Maxos temple, where I got to level 17. I went back to the fjords before heading to Sentinel Island, and between clearing the rest of the areas accessible then and turning in a bunch of quests, got to level 22 (the first mindread on Sentinel Island then bringing me to 23).

veteran
veteran
The very first time I played Divinity II (Ego Draconis, with the expansion FoV) I reached almost level 21/22 before taking over the Battle Tower. that time I was going to the Orobas Fjords at level 14/15 and do all I can (also swimming to the most far beach to kill Goblins L21 and Black Ring members too. Also going in 2 dungeons .

After that first time I find it not so fun anymore to reach the most highest level I can before the Batle Tower. The only thing I do is clearing at least the Goblins so I can reach the Grand King Scrine to use it to go fast back to Broken Valley wink

Last time I was taking over the Battle Tower I was around L18/19 on nightmare, more than enough to kill that son of a bitch, Laiken biggrin

About playtime ?
With the expansion Flames of Vengeance you can reach Level 45 easely, without any use of Wisdom skill or Mindreading skill (to lower or even stop the XP depts!) and even without taking the extra XP by Quest rewards !! The respawing enemies in caves in FoV I make use of them, but not that much I believe .
At least I played 60 hours, only for the expansion, but to be honest, I always play thoroughly and I'm a slow player + I make many notes while playing.

But in my opinion:
it's really not the MOST important thing how long a game is, but how great fun it is to play, even if you can play it from start to end in (let's say) 20 hours ! If those 20 hours are awesome & Super Fun, it's more worth than a looooong booooring game of 100 hours !
If the replayability is also fantastic, and for me the DKS is that for sure(!), then I know such RPG I can play & have fun with it for Yearsssss !!
(Divine Divinity is such a beautiful example of a RPG I played already for years and still play it sometimes ! And still enjoy it !)

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
@ChrisHLD
Oblivions: level scaling is terrible. As you level, the enemies level with you.. meaning levelling up and getting better loot is pointless. In my opinion.
Skyrim: Isnt the game I thought it would be, although dungeons are now a bit more varied, they still dont have half the atmosphere of Divinity 2. Loot is very poor; Go through an hour long dungeon and scrap your nuts off, get to a huge treasure chest, to get poor loot to be honest. The crafting, smithing, alchemy are all broken. You can craft better than what you can find. (Its still a good game, just not what im looking for personally)

I forgot to say Divinity 2's levelling system rocks! im playing on nightmare so enemies that are the same level as you can kick your ass, but every are I have been in enemy levels nave been perfect.

The next games I will be playing is Risen (looks similar to this) Two Worlds 2, and Dragons Dogma when released.

@Raze, Helpful as always mate. I think it may take me longer with reloads etc due to it being so hard. Fjords I will try now with the dragon stone then smile Is there a way for me to see how long I have played? as my saves just show date and time. 0.o

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by memphis12
@ChrisHLD
Oblivions: level scaling is terrible. As you level, the enemies level with you.. meaning levelling up and getting better loot is pointless. In my opinion.
Skyrim: Isnt the game I thought it would be, although dungeons are now a bit more varied, they still dont have half the atmosphere of Divinity 2. Loot is very poor; Go through an hour long dungeon and scrap your nuts off, get to a huge treasure chest, to get poor loot to be honest. The crafting, smithing, alchemy are all broken. You can craft better than what you can find. (Its still a good game, just not what im looking for personally)

I forgot to say Divinity 2's levelling system rocks! im playing on nightmare so enemies that are the same level as you can kick your ass, but every are I have been in enemy levels nave been perfect.

The next games I will be playing is Risen (looks similar to this) Two Worlds 2, and Dragons Dogma when released.

@Raze, Helpful as always mate. I think it may take me longer with reloads etc due to it being so hard. Fjords I will try now with the dragon stone then smile Is there a way for me to see how long I have played? as my saves just show date and time. 0.o

Oblivion is indeed no fun leveling up ! Skyrim is a way better, but still can't beat a Divinity game, imo !
I like to have statpoints to spend each level and choose my own level of strength, intelligence and so on .

I can honestly say I like Skyrim, but I love DKS !

I personally don't like Risen, but maybe Risen 2 is better ? But I gonna never buy Risen 2, I hate guns in a rpg (Risen II is with guns, Pirates, bah... not my taste!)

@memphis12 :
I did a suggestion to Larian to make a feature so we really can "see" how our total playtime is on our save game ! (like in Skyrim and some other games) wink Hope Larian listen to it, I really hope they do ! smile

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
@Juram:
Hey pal. Was Risen not very good? i watched a few videos on youtube and it looked a little like DKS, no help, no pointers etc.. Does Risen have guns? or just the second one? as I also hate guns in fantasy rpg's.

Let me know if Larian get back to you, I would like to know how many hours I have put into it. I think a LOT up to now lol. I told my son I was 1/3 through the game and he was amazed considering how much I have played. He's playing Skyrim currently.. he's slowly turning to RPGs.. he only did the single payer mode on MW3 and has never been back.

veteran
veteran
Hey,

Risen 1 has, so far I know, NO guns, but I haven't played Risen to the end, only reached L10 ... a nice game, but it can't suit my style like the Divinity games do !
And to be honest I prefer Skyrim above Risen, but Oblivion not !

Certainly I give Risen a second chance, but when, I don't know.
I heared from players of Risen that this game is better on PC than Xbox (I played on Xbox). I myself can't compare both versions.
For me Risen is not easy to survive, but maybe I played it wrong ?
But I don't like the Skill-system in Risen. I prefer the open skill tree in DD and DKS most and I find the system in Skyrim way much more enjoyable than in Oblivion !

I only give a suggestion for Larian on the forum, I didn't e-mailed them, but I know they read on the boards here, but because of "time" they've too much work to do for use, gamers, to make new great awesome RPG's and such ... to much work to spend time reacting on all suggesions etc we, gamers, post on the boards here wink

Currently I play DKS (third full playthrough) & Skyrim also back with a new character, started saterday, this time with a High female Elf try to play a (pure) Mage (Priest) ! laugh Priest builds all the way now hahaha ... So in fact :I gonna try a Mage Priest in Skyrim and after my current ranger Priest in DKS I wish to start (yes, again from scrash) with a Mage Priest in ... DKS ! LOL

Good luck for you enjoying DKS and also good luck to your son playing Skyrim wink RPG's all the way for me ! Only some puzzle games (adventure games like Myst with brain breaking puzzles) and strategy games I can appreciate now and then too .

wave

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Yeah Risen 2 and Dragon’s Dogma are ones I’m looking at. Playing Kingdoms of Amalur now. It’s a beautiful game but I find myself needing a break from it rather than it being hard to peel me off of the game. Tried Two Worlds 2 and I hear it’s addicting but that voice acting was bad.

Last edited by ChrisHLD; 12/03/12 11:02 AM.
veteran
veteran
I've here the game Two Worlds II somewhere, but it is eating dust :hihi:
I believe Risen 2 is with guns in, so inform you wellbefore decide to buy that game wink

I've bought Amalur, but I hate it to say that I don't love the fact that this game didn't bring up a Manual (on paper) within the box ... only a ingame manual, but I never can find a picture of the Xbox controller with the view & info about the general controls in this game ... frown

Last edited by Joram; 12/03/12 02:19 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard