Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Just picked up this game and started playing this week, and so far I like it. As a noob to the game, but not the RPG genre, I have 2 questions:

1. I have the Dragon NIght saga (Ego Draconis + Flames of Vengeance ) bundle. I installed the patch here:

http://www.larian.com/dragonknightsaga_support.php

DO I need to install the flames of vengeance patch also? Or does the above patch update both games?

2. I am level 12 and still getting my ass kicked. The only way I can handle groups of enemies, is to separate them from the pack and plink away at them one by one. If I get closs to a gobl;in chief they murder me. Fighting Jagon in the temple of doom cost me a dozen potions. The only enemy I had an easy time with was the troll! I am going for a mage/fighter or eldritch knight typoe build. My skills so far:

Magic Missile (4)
Fireball (4)
Mana efficiency (2)
Lockpick (2)
COnfusion (1): a waste IMHO
Dual wield (2)
Rush Attack (1): Find it useful to get in and out of range with archers quick

My stats have been 2 int, 1 spirit, 1 vitality every level. I am using the highest magical damage weapons I can find.

Any advice?

veteran
veteran
I'm since a month or two/three a big fan of all Priest skills, so I advise you to take or try ** Charm ! Or try Summon Ghost (can heal you and use fireballs) !

** via buying or finding a piece of yewellery (Amulet, Bracelet or Earrings Locke, Dr Needleman and more trader's sell them) with that skill on) wink

Good luck up and a warm welcome to the forum smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Support
Support

You do not need the FoV patch, just the one for DKS (depending on which release you have). However, for the PC version you may wish to get the DKS DRM free patch (the Mastertronic release is fully updated and does not have any DRM).

I'm not sure how much trouble you should be having at level 12 with goblin chiefs; they were a bit of a threat to my level 9 ranger if they got within melee range. I entered the Temple of Doom at level 12, but reloaded when the skeleton archers in the first section wouldn't stay in range, intending to return once I found a mage head for my creature. I didn't get back until level 16, so Jagon wasn't too much trouble (the creature still wasn't much help with the archers in the first room, though).

Do you have your creature? If not (it is usually helpful), head to the mine south of the fortune teller (to the far west of Lovis' tower).

I have not played a mage (pure or mixed), but think you are missing the skill Destruction.

class question! (mage advice and links to related topics)

Stat Point Distribution: What's the best way? (for a mage)

Welcome to the forum. wave

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Yes I try to get my creature early on. There's 3 chests on that level that I save before opening cause they always give creature parts. Sometimes perfect ones. I go for a mage head and arms first. Clean, clean-cut, fresh or perfect parts I try to get. Kind of cheating but the enemies do seem to take 2/3rds of my hp quickly.

Later in the game the armor becomes more decent for better chances.

Last edited by ChrisHLD; 21/03/12 08:58 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Well I just managed to nail the crazy bunny at level 12 using Magic Missile and kiting. Worth 3000XP! I haven't done my creature parts yet, I was just freelance exploring the Valley, and haven't done many quests yet. The jagon fight was not planned, I just entered the temple and had no save before hand.

I did not get Destruction as a skill, because until now, I saw more value in pumping up my base magic skills to up the4 damage. I was planning on dropping points in destruction once my skills are maxed. For magic, I was going for fireball, magic missile, and later firewall. I did not see much value in magic blast, and preferred to focus and max out a few skill lines.

Is rush attack worth upgrading?

Is it worth upgrading two weapon style?

Two weapon style is worth it if you're looking to do maximum damage. My characters on two weapon style at the endgame had 2K plus damage (max intelligence and strength including upgrades). Summing up all the bonuses I think my last character reached 3K damage on DKS.

In all my playthroughs, two weapon always beat the two handed and single weapon on damage. I didn't like this cause I wanted to go two handed (Like you I wanted to emulate a D&D character specifically a power critical, epic weapon focus/specialization greatsword barbarian)

It's been a long time since I played on normal difficulty but IIRC there's a point where the player's ideal build will take off. When it does don't be surprised if the game becomes too easy up to the end.

Now, all my playthrough on nightmare I'll have to confess, I went through broken valley mostly by

Originally Posted by mr_raider
separate them from the pack and plink away at them one by one.

When I got to level 18+ with good armor and decent damage, that's the only time I started to go toe to toe with the enemy. BTW, the summon ghost skill is a time/potion saver since it will heal you.

Support
Support

With my warrior in the original release of D2:ED, I put 2 or 3 skill points in Rush Attack early in the game. After getting the battle tower (in the late teens or early twenties for character level) and unlearning all my skills, I only put 1 skill point back in.

If you are going to do a significant amount of melee combat, then you should upgrade the duel wield expertise. If that is more of a backup, though, you don't need to worry about it, since the off-hand penalty is not taken into account for the magic damage bonus/enchantment that gets added to spells from your weapons.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Is there a way to lock a target when paused or cycle locks when paused?

Support
Support

With the Xbox version you can move the right thumb stick left or right to cycle through the available targets (which is easier/safer to do when paused). Target Lock (left trigger) should work whether the game is paused or not.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Any one on PC know how to do this? The cycle lock key bind doesn't seem to do anything when paused.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_raider
Any one on PC know how to do this? The cycle lock key bind doesn't seem to do anything when paused.

Cycle lock isn't available during pause on pc. You can click a skill and then click an enemy in the game, but not cycle and lock on any targets.

Support
Support

Arg... I'm going to miss that feature when I get around to building a new computer and try the PC version of DKS.

veteran
veteran
When paused, there's no need to cycle, you can just move the cursor with the mouse and go directly to the target.

Support
Support

I was planning on using a gamepad, since I don't care for WASD controls. I guess switching back and forth to the mouse for the minority of fights I would want/need to pause for wouldn't be horribly inconvenient, but Target Lock / cycle would still be easier and faster, IMO.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Yes. But it will not lock the target which means your next arrow or spell may hit another enemy if they move in front of each other. This is really useful because you can get magic mnissile to curl around objects with out direct line of sight.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard