Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Just something I've noticed. Got bored and decided on my third playthrough of DKS a week ago. Hard mode again. Mage only. No bow attacks.

What I did different was use no wisdom or mindreading skills/jewlery ever. I didn't do anything else different. I just finished the hall of echos and found myself at the same level as if I used these skills frequently on my first and second playthrough.

Interesting.

Last edited by ChrisHLD; 21/03/12 11:46 PM.
Support
Support

Yes, those skills can help you level slightly faster, but in the long term are not really going to make a difference to the level you reach.

Wisdom / Mindreading - worth it? (D2:ED topic)

I noticed the same thing with my level in DKS compared to the original release of D2:ED, where I delayed going to Sentinel Island and turning in quests longer, etc, to see if that would make a difference. I did get a little higher in DKS at the end of the Hall of Echoes, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to balancing changes, etc, from the original.
From the topic Who's playing DKS on nightmare difficulty?

Before defeating Zandalor I was level 37.47. In D2:ED I finished at level 36.75. At least part of the difference was due to balancing changes in DKS. For example, in D2:ED I got to level 18 in the fjords before heading to Sentinel Island, while in DKS I made it to level 22. The difference in experience on those two levels from mindreading the island was still only 11.7% of the experience needed to reach level 38. There was also additional experience from quests in DKS, though not a lot (I never tried to figure out how much), according to a Larian comment on quest experience balancing to make it easier to level at the start of the game.

In D2:ED I delayed turning in some quests, but didn't really go out of my way trying to level. I used the Talisman of the North for quite awhile, and between about level 13 and the Hall of Echoes got Wisdom up to level 9 or 10, 4 or 5 of which was from equipment bonuses (equipping Rothman's Bow to turn in quests). Before the Hall of Echoes I boosted it to level 13, to see if I could get to level 37 before the end of the game, thinking the area might be larger than it was. I reloaded for some useless mindreads, but not all.

In DKS I specifically tried to do all the mindreads first, then clear opponents as much as possible and then turn in quests, to maximize the experience given. I didn't learn Wisdom, though did eventually collect jewellery with a combined +8 bonus. I deliberately mindread pretty much everyone.

Neglecting the balancing and island mindread differences between D2:ED and DKS, at best (assuming only a modest increase in quest and opponent experience levels) my efforts brought me from level 36 and 3/4 to 37 and 1/3.
It seems there is a slight benefit trying to maximize experience, but not enough to worry about if you need to turn in quests early to level, or simply wish to do side quests as you get them, etc. If I wanted a more exact idea of the difference I'd play again doing side quests as early as possible; I can't see that happening for my next character, but I will not be as strict about delaying quests.

C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
I tried that at times (delaying quests), but I did it mostly in FOV.

I think what happens is when you're at a lower level the difference in XP gain can be significant. So If I'm fighting five or more enemies in certain areas at a lower level each time that makes the difference in the long run.

veteran
veteran
Of course and so we can conclude that Divinity II is well-balanced (in my opinion) and with or without putting points into the Wisdom & Mindreading Skill gives in the long run the hero(in) ca the same level ! That's good.
THE difference is that you can level up faster in earlier levels and so the level-up-curve is different .

But this is only true IF you playstyle of 2 playthroughs the same, except for Wisdom and Mindreading (like ChrisHLD and Raze experienced), but that's logical wink

I prefer to not invest points in Wisdom nor Mindreading. On top of that I choose always gold or another item by a quest reward and not the extra XP !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran
The first time I played Ego Draconis (the original, not DKS), I did the quest delaying thing in Orobas Fjords, and saved the Ballistae towers for that too. I reallocated my points to max out Wisdom and handed in a ton of quests all at once, and I think I reached level 37, which is one-level higher than I've reached since playing through that part of the game, but I don't think it was worth it.

Now the only time I delay quests is in Broken Valley, because just completing the first part of the main quest of finding three people who've seen a Dragon gives you like 2-3 levels, and the next stage of kiling Arben gives another 1-2. Instead, I try and clear out all the monsters from Broken Valley north and get their XP while it's still worth something.

I never put points into Wisdom or Mind-read, but I always save jewellery I find with that stuff so I can get benefits without spending skill points.

veteran
veteran
Sometimes I must laught with myself when I play DKS biggrin ... :
many times I calculate how many XP dept I need to stay at the same level, even if I complete a quest and go for the reward ! Or I wait to take all the Goblin Hearts with me (loot), write down the places where such Heart are and take them one by one or with two together to bring them to Richard for some extra 150/300 XP (and gold). This I do when I see I'm very close to a next level.

All this I do because of the trader's restock :hihi: ... can you imagine to see a gamer who's bussy with DKS, pause the game, take his calculator or pen & paper ... hahaha ... love it to play a game and be creative at the same time !

And that is what I really love reading your LP dear Stabbey wink Al the work you've done so far .. woow ... that's for me a work of years ! It took me 8, almost 9 months to play form Farglow to the end of FoV with 'Jurdenson'-story ...
And when I read your LP it's difficult to stop reading all those nice and funny dialogs and your own "thoughs" (Yara), great laugh ! And difficult to not start again in Farglow too, while I'm bussy now with Amalur and my current DKS hero is still in the Orobas Fjords (Ronja) !

Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga is very, very addictive !!! biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard