Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
veteran
veteran
Well, it just his (admin/moderator/whatever) thoughts that the game seems to be project E, but we don't know for sure. Honestly, I'd rather to hear that from Lar but I have doubts he has any interest to comment on the subj more. Oh well, let's just wait then.

Not like there is a reason to care about working titles, of course, it changes nothing in the end.

Last edited by Kein; 23/05/12 12:30 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Kein
Well, it just his (admin/moderator/whatever) thoughts

He is a member of the staff there, and he basically is a "press member" for the Watch, so to say.

RPGWatch collects informations on C-RPGs, and while doing that they also travel to places. And what's more, Myrthos lives in the same country like Larian does. He knows the studio basically for lots of years now - I'm not sure, but it could be that they know them even from the Divinity 1 times on.

You also miss one important point : He writes that

[quote]I've been to their studios this week, but cannot tell what I've seen for another week or so./quote]

What he writes are not his "thoughts" as you put it, but instead he has atually SEEN the whole thing. He is just not allowed to write about it. NDA, you know ? Actual seeing things is something different than thinking about it.

The only thing is, that he did NOT say WHAT "Project E" is ACTUALLY about. this is the ONLY point missing here.

I'm a bit astonished that you change the words for your self so that the meaning you get out of them meets your expectations, not reality.

You write : "his [...] thoughts".
He writes : "I've seen".

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Not changing anything, just buying what are you selling. It seems like you've got an impression (?) that I'm against exactly Project E being sequel or something like that? I don't know, this seems rather silly. I think I was just a bit dizzy and didn't pay much attention to the article.

Now that you put it in a bit more direct way I see it clearly now. Could have spent some time re-reading it myself, though, would be the same result.

Still, as I said, it does not changes anything - there will be an actual sequel to Divinity series besides DC (I don't really count DC as one, though) and I hope it will be "isometric" one, i.e. back to old roots.

Last edited by Kein; 23/05/12 09:05 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
We still don't exactly know what is what, that's for sure.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Uh-huh.
Now everything seems to be clear.

Last edited by Kein; 25/05/12 01:00 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
It must be an isometric sequel to the cult classic Divine Divinity!

10 years later I still think it is the best cRPG ever created.

The mix of Diablo-ish combat mechanics and Baldur-ish story created the biggest GEM in gaming history.

Finished Divine Divinity 4 times, and bought it 3 times in 3 different stores.

smile

Last edited by Estrogen; 25/05/12 02:29 PM.
German PCGames magazine has an article about it.

veteran
veteran
Now, ONE thing we know for sure:
A new RPG is coming ... and it's Project E biggrin

All the rest
We only guess
Each the best

Have Fun waiting for this upcoming RPG wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
addict
addict
M
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00017078-divinity-original-sin-preview.htm

Now we know smile
(well at least I do, and you all non-french speaking might know less, for a while)

veteran
veteran
Okay, what I gathered so far:

>Turn-Based, hexagon shaped tiles, still fast paced
>Stats ala hack'n'slash, strength, intelligence, vitality and dexterity, many equipment slots.
>2 main characters, a man who's an ex-prisoner and a girl who has been freshly resurrected
>Can be played solo or in co-op
>Can interact with a lot of objects, using buckets as armor, brooms as weapons etc.
>Can use spells to affect the environment, ice magic to freeze water, lightning on wet opponents to boost damage etc, like Magicka somewhat.
>Both characters have a role during conversation, even in co-op both players will pick choices so there's no '' leader ''
>One character can talk to an NPC while the other character sneaks behind to steal something or access a restricted area
>Dialogues are of the same quality as other Divinity's game, so humorous and smart.

It is not Divinity 3? It is prequel to Divine Divinty, but I'm having troubles trying to understand how "original Sin" related to Orc swarm. IIRC, the Story.pdf from DD pretty clearly states that all the races were against Damian's invasion, Orcs as well. Seems like they had to introduce another "deus ex" element, ehh. Kind of sad (and weak), but oh well... can't milk the same cow few times i n a row, there needs to be something for D3 left.

turn-based co-op gameplay

Wut. Just... what.

Even the dialogue system is cooperative: the developers wanted to avoid a player on its hands while the other acts as group leader, taking all the decisions. Everyone can participate in discussions and express dissent if necessary!

Now this sounds quite interesting.

Almost everything can be collected, assembled, carried, thrown ... You can put a bucket on his head as a helmet, take a broom to hit the enemy, etc.

Awesome. It seems like Larian decided to develop the basic concept of advanced interaction with gameworld/environment from DD more, which I highly approve. I really loved to move the barrels and some other things around in original game.

And screenshots:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kein; 28/05/12 05:55 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
So, my idea of bantering between a female and a male was parzially taken ? wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Support
Support

It is prequel to Divine Divinty, but I'm having hard troubles to understand how "original Sin" related to Orc swarm. IIRC, the Story.pdf from DD pretty clearly states that all the races were against Damian's invasion, Orcs as well.

Damian didn't exist until DD. Why would an alliance against a common enemy necessarily mean that races would forever after remain on good terms?

Seems like they had to introduce another "deus ex" element, ehh. Kind of sad (and weak), but oh well...

The DD pre-story described an attack by the Lord of Chaos 600 years before DD. Original Sin is set 200 years before DD.

veteran
veteran
Summing things up: Larian want to make Beyond Divinity "right". Understandable,but not exactly what I was looking for. Oh man, first Dragon Commander, now this... it seems like I'm not really going to play any Larian games within 5 years until Divinity 3 release.

Raze
That's why I said "deus ex". If the story is not related to original plot - it is not a prequel, it is spin-off. If it related to the original story with the Damned One - we know it very good enough, there isn't so much left to put on the field, so what kind of possible Original Sin it could be, if not about the Sword of Lies and Damned One? It seems like they are coming up with something totally new thus "deus ex machina"element. I find them quite cheap, especially when it comes to universe/setting consistence, but that's just me, may be (too much Martin and Bekker).

Support
Support

Ah, understood. Original Sin may well be related to the Damned / Black Ring, if not the Lord of Chaos directly. However, with a fairly long history sketched out, I don't have a problem with stories set in Rivellon which are not closely connected to the plot of the first game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well that was unexpected - a prequel to the whole Divinity series. So all that about do you play as the Divine or the DK arguments / points in various past topics was irrelevant.

Well, I assume Larian will be making a sequel to DKS eventually (hopefully a fully 3D game like DKS) but if not, well it's a disapointment in that respect as I was really hoping for a sequel. It's fair to assume as far as the DKS ending went that Damian eventually got his ass kicked by the DK and the Divine but it would have been nice to see this at least. Free short add on possible Larian?

I might be with Kein on this one & hold out for the real Divinity 3 if it ever comes - top down RPG's are kinda not my thing although Ill be giving this a strong consideration. If it had have been Divinity 3 then it would have been a definite purchase but now I'm not so sure. Ill be looking at a demo & reviews though and same will go for Dragon Commander.

Edit: Ah, nuts. It's turn based and that isn't something I particuarly like.

Last edited by Arokh; 28/05/12 06:19 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm depressed by this news. Divine Divinity was an action RPG, not turn based. I have absolutely no interest in turn-based systems. And I've no interest in co-op either. To me this is just another RPG developer closing the coffin lid on single player RPG's. I sure as hell didn't expect this from Larian.

old hand
old hand
Unexpected, indeed, but certainly not unwelcome.

Also, now we know who the "couple" was in that artwork from the other thread.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by virumor; 28/05/12 06:27 PM.
Support
Support

I don't have a huge problem with turn based combat systems, though generally prefer real time. There are a variety of ways turn based combat can be implemented, from slow and tedious to almost real time.

I also have no interest in co-op play, but the game does not require that; you can direct both characters yourself (presumably most of the time outside of combat you will be able to control them together).

old hand
old hand
As always guys, the proof will be in the eating of the pudding. A lot of you came here because of the first div , and the ambition is to give you exactly that and more.

I promised to wait with giving all kinds of details until the official announcement & all media got their chance to tell their story, but then I'll be back with more.

If all goes well tonight, by this time tomorrow there should be more details out there & our site/video should be live.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by slimgrin
I'm depressed by this news. Divine Divinity was an action RPG, not turn based. I have absolutely no interest in turn-based systems.

That's why I already wriote at ROGWAtch : Those who loved Divinty 2 for its action hing will most likely be disappojnted. The word "ultima" spoke volumes. Every one who ignored it was a fool.
Because Action-RPGs *never* had ANYTHING to do with the "Ultima" series ...

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard