Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
I'm totally in for turn based combat !! I beieve, and have full confidence in Larian Studios, turn based combat is a great decision they maked to make D:OS an exellent RPG !
Looking at the video on the D:OS site I'm sure TB combat is also very FUN to play, I'm 100% sure !

I also believe gamers who loves board games like the 999 games (for example The Colonists of Catan) will also love Divinity: Original Sin ! But with the difference D:OS has more : roleplaying & strategy, and so on ... like great soundtracks and Tons of Humour (suggestion, suggestion !!!) wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
Divine One is going to come back for the final game and he's going to get an awesome CGI trailer to boot too. Meanwhile the world is going to be huge and completely open. The Divine One has spiritual angel wings and can fly and the role playing elements has many branching paths and dialogue choices and the replay is very deep and high with multiple endings. Statistics also play a huge role in the combat which will be a mix between Divine Divinity and Divinity 2.

I called it for Original Sin and I'm calling it for Divinity 3: Eyes of God.

Also The Beyond Divinity hero is back in Divinity 3: Eyes of God as the secondary antagonist. I'm calling it now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The style of the game would depend on the success & feedback of Original Sin and Dragon Commander. Personally I'd like Divinity 3 to be a 3rd person action RPG like DKS. I'd like to see the Divine One, commander Rhode, the Patriarch and the Dragon Knight as returning characters (but not necessarily as playable characters) although I'd like to see either the Divine or the DK as playable but this would depend on the style of game.

The stats system of DKS worked perfectly, so same system in sequel preferred. Alternative endings I definitely agree with - at least three would be great. A large open world - yes, definitely. The Divine being able to fly? You are joking right? Not too keen on that although having said that it might work if the game was like Original Sin with two playable characters. The Divine and the Dragon Knight could possibly work together.

Last edited by Arokh; 10/06/12 07:23 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

I
stranger
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Arokh

The stats system of DKS worked perfectly

No it didn't, specially the "stat" system (though skills were great)! There is lots of scopes for improvements and should be exploited accordingly.

But I second your proposal of bringing back the familiar and important characters and not ONLY for reference's sake (i.e. good ol' stories of Rivellon).

About alternative endings, I can think of three -
1. the hero kills everyone (mostly innocent people) except Damien who lives to see another sequel! mad
2. the hero kills everyone including Damien but later realizes that it all was a dream and in reality he is imprisoned in a void only to freed before the next sequel! grin
3. the hero somehow manages to kill Damien by decoupling the soulforge between him and Larian but the folks at the studio resurrect their coveted ba(l)d guy and you're left with...well, you get it - another sequel! evil

Looking forward to Divinity -III smile

I
stranger
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Joram
Tons of Humour...

of dark kind? Count me in!

veteran
veteran
The stats system of Divinity 2 had good and bad parts.

I liked that points didn't do much individually, but when the little bonuses were added together, it piled up into something substantial.

On the other hand, it was SO substantial that it made things a bit TOO easy, with massive regenerating health or mana.

I also didn't like that there was a cap of 100 AND that bonuses from items didn't go above that. A hard cap for points directly inserted would have been more tolerable if equipment could push you over the cap.

I
stranger
stranger
I
The stat system looks and feels good, there isn't any doubt on that. I would even say it works well for average gamers who're new to RPGs. But a veteran can easily see the underlying faults. Yes, health stat impacts the game playing experience the most and becomes the single most important stat. That way I can only be concerned about putting points into health, afford to neglect other stats and yet could have a easy game. I stopped distributing stat points after L-12 or something, yet went on to complete the game twice in hard difficulty settings; this tells me two things, first - the stat system isn't optimized well to make significant impact on game play and secondly - the skill sets are much too powerful(which is great btw) and DOES affect the game much more than the stats. In an ideal RPG scenario, stats and skills should complement each other in a way which makes good use of both to build a character.

There are also skills that effectively compensates for stat points in certain categories, a few points in mana efficiency spares you spending lots of points into your mana stat.

Defensive stats are also disappointing! You need to put in a lot to see any sizable difference. But this because of the leveling system of the game itself. The amount of damage your enemies dish out, as you level up, grows constantly and drastically while your stat points stacks just the same. As a result your defense/resistance never catches up with the amount of damage received. Which makes me wonder whether a more dynamic point distribution system would've proved more efficient, like this: L1-L10 = 4pts. L10-L20 = 5pts. L20 -?? = 6pts. And sure, no caps!

Here is another idea - you get fewer stat points as level up BUT a point squired at higher levels carries much more weight than one you get at a lower level and makes significant difference! That way you've to be more decisive and careful before spending them at a high level when it matters most.

Overall the stat system in DKS is well laid-out and does provide the necessary building blocks, but at the same time it's far from perfect. But I strongly believe Larian shouldn't do a overhaul of things as DKS already has a very robust system(skill/stat/level). All i want them is to fine-tune the quirks while retaining the core elements that made DKS such a great experience! Oh, well, maybe a more logical ending too wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
I see your points on the stat system, yes it did have some issues but it is a lot better than I have seen in other games. If they improved on it then it would work fine.

Endings & story branches; I think that if this game is the last in the current Damian / Divine story arc (they could always make another future Divinity game but on a new set of characters in a different part of the world) then 4 endings would be good. You could have 2 good and 2 evil depending on your choices in the game or maybe a simple good / evil ending could suffice such as used in the Jedi Knight2: Dark Forces.

Good ending one; Damian is permanently defeated and the Divine and Dragon knight form a new order protecting from evil. They find a way to bring back the Dragon Knights. Patriarch maybe? Opens possibility of sequel even if its set years afterwards.

Evil ending one: Damian is defeated and the Dragon Knight takes over his army & also finds a way to resurrecting the dragon knights and makes them serve him. They then kill the Divine.

Good ending two: Commander Rhode sees that the Dragon Knight is not evil and joins forces. If it is an isometric view game she and the Divine join forces and defeat Damian. If 3rd person, Rhode seeks out the Dragon Knight and apologises and begs him / her to find a way to turn her into a dragon knight. Damian is defeated etc. The Divine appears as a mentor and could have one or two playable parts.

Evil ending two: Similar to the first evil ending except you join forces with Damian. Could work for either the Dragon Knight or Commander Rhode. Would not seem right if the Divine joined forces with Damian unless he was possessed.

Four endings would require a lot of work & could get complex but the first two good / evil endings could work if there was a 'split' halfway through the game where you take the good path or evil path.

Last edited by Arokh; 13/06/12 09:15 AM. Reason: changed to make more sense

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
i hope divinity 3 isnt turn based rts or that gay birds eye view crap whic is why i wont touch dragon commander or original sin another hack and slash style for div 3 is what they should do and make it largley more explorable with more creatures and NPC s to interact with like skyrim ill never buy another divinity if they keep up with this turn based birds eye view shit.

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
since im using xbox my chat pad doesnt have a comma on it dumb ass so before you post maiking fun of a comment i suggest you think first ass clown.

stranger
stranger
Wow dude, you're pretty intense. Relax a bit, he wasn't making fun of you.

Support
Support

Well at this point it doesn't look like DC or D:OS are getting an Xbox version, so you don't have to worry about the genre, camera or gameplay design. Larian recently brought up the possibility of gamepad support for D:OS (Good isometric RPGs with controller support?), which, if implemented, would make a console version possible. Last we heard a console version of DC was possible if they were able to secure the financing (see here), but it has not been confirmed.

Have you considered the possibility that maybe some people like different styles of gameplay than you do? Perhaps these opinions could be just as valid as your own?

Maybe you should try something out of your comfort zone once in awhile, if the rest of a game looks good besides the camera perspective. I generally don't like first person perspective games, especially if you need to look around while moving in a different direction, but have tried first person RPGs that have been recommended in a few topics here, and I bought at least one I would have missed otherwise.

A
veteran
veteran
A
So, the industry does currently NOTHING BUT games WITHOUT this "bird's eye vbiew shit" is that for you, LegionDraconis ? To belong to the massses of playrs who stick to exactly ONE "proven formula" and damn EVERYTHING ELSE ?

People like you have actually accomplished that games like like each other nowadays - at least from the view angle point of view.
People like you have accomplished that the PC platform has become a degenerated shooter-only gming platform (of course for people like you million-sellers like The SIms don't count at all !), hich is quite engulfed into some good monotony of gameplay ...

You don't sound as if you were looking forward to new experiences. Instead, you sound very much like someone who is likely to blackmail everyone else if you can't get what you want, hence your strong language.

Strong language = juvenile language, in my opinion. People over 30-40 don't use words like that.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard