Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#457262 20/08/12 08:19 PM
XMar21X Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'd like to know, if there will be any kind of DRM on Divinity - Original Sin. Cuz it would be a shame. The Game looks really awesome, especially the thing with the editor but I won't buy full price Titles which uses Steam, Securom DRM or others of its kind anymore. It would also be great, to play CO-OP on a local network. Not over the internet, even if the players would sit side by side. The game shouldn't be tied to an online profile. When I buy the game, I don't wanna get a worthless box just with a serial code. Please don't ruin the game frown.

XMar21X #457265 20/08/12 09:05 PM
M
addict
addict
M
No official info on that yet. But as larian made their best to remove DRM on their games when they could, any DRM would be temporary stuff.

melianos #457270 20/08/12 09:54 PM
Support
Support

D:OS will use Steamworks for online multi-player, but not local games, so there will not be any online profile required. At least a couple months ago Larian had yet to determine if or what they would be doing in regards to DRM (presumably they wouldn't need to make a decision until getting close to release).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #457280 21/08/12 06:02 AM
veteran
veteran
couple months

Raze please, it took 2 years to remove DRM from DKS.

Kein #457281 21/08/12 06:19 AM
Support
Support

I think you misread what I wrote. The time it took to remove the DRM from DKS doesn't have anything to do with how long it has been since I have seen anything about DRM for D:OS.

Raze #457342 22/08/12 07:12 PM
stranger
stranger
CD Projekt RED removed the DRM from their Witcher games, and if anything, it increased their sales. I hope Larian does the same thing.

Middle-aged woman learns to make computer games. Film at 11.

I've made a bunch of mods for The Witcher ; you can find most of them at The Witcher Nexus.
Raze #457344 22/08/12 07:22 PM
XMar21X Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

D:OS will use Steamworks for online multi-player, but not local games, so there will not be any online profile required.

Doesn't games which uses Steamworks have to use the Steam client? And I thought games which are not connected to your Steam account cannot use any features of your Steam client. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Steamworks + no DRM works frown.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Hello wave

XMar21X #457349 22/08/12 10:25 PM
Support
Support

A couple months ago I asked if Steam would be required and was told they had yet to determine that, and were considering several possibilities. Presumably that means the Steam client isn't required to use Steamworks, or at least only required when using that function (online multiplayer or user made DLC).

Raze #457663 03/09/12 06:33 PM
XMar21X Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

A couple months ago I asked if Steam would be required and was told they had yet to determine that, and were considering several possibilities. Presumably that means the Steam client isn't required to use Steamworks, or at least only required when using that function (online multiplayer or user made DLC).

Unfortunately that sounds to me like Divinity: Original Sin will be a Steam game. Because the fact that it would be possible that the steam client is only required for online multiplayer doesn't mean that it is going to be so. Do you know any game with uses the Steam Client for online multiplayer but run in single player without Steam? I'm pretty sure that, if the game uses steamworks, it will be a steam only game. And that would also mean that there won't be a (steam/internet independent) lan mode. Wouldn't it be better to use direct connections to play together? Yes I know many people would have problems with port forwarding and so on. And in times of steam it's all much easier (and more dependent). Is there really no solution except steam. How did it work in times of Warcraft 3?

Last edited by XMar21X; 03/09/12 06:35 PM.
XMar21X #457664 03/09/12 07:59 PM
Support
Support

And that would also mean that there won't be a (steam/internet independent) lan mode.

Actually, we know Steamworks will not be required for local multi-player. For online multi-player and user mod downloads, presumably Larian looked at the available options before deciding on Steamworks.

Raze #457665 03/09/12 08:22 PM
XMar21X Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

Actually, we know Steamworks will not be required for local multi-player. For online multi-player and user mod downloads, presumably Larian looked at the available options before deciding on Steamworks.

Ah OK. That sounds not so bad. I hope they make a good decision. smile

XMar21X #457676 04/09/12 11:15 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by XMar21X
Do you know any game with uses the Steam Client for online multiplayer but run in single player without Steam?

Yes : Swords & Soldiers.

You have to install a seprate version which is completely without any steam if you want to play SP mode alone. And you won't get any "achievements" then, either. But at least the SP mode contains a "skirmish" mode nd so-called "challenges".

It's basically 2 different installations.

"Tiny and Big and Grandpa's Leftovers" is a similar gamewhich exists as an retail version completely without an steam, as I was told at the Games Com.

What is interesting, however, is that Steam-Games often get better additional stuff that Steam-less games.

It's like ... iTunes promoting iotself by selling music that's only available there and nowhere else.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 04/09/12 11:16 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
AlrikFassbauer #459590 03/12/12 12:46 PM
stranger
stranger
Uhhuh, sure hope it'll be DRM free too. Generally see no reason to be fair with those who treat me as a criminal. Thankfully I could buy the Anthology, finally smile

And Steam is DRM, though there are games that become DRM-free once installed. If you want to put up with Steam or Battle.net or Origin or whatever other such service for public achievements and Internet multiplayer, your call, but if you don't care for those 2 elements and just want to play the game as single-player (or local multiplayer) there should be no requirements whatsoever, just install and play.

"We're all humans." Let's try to be more!
"The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race is the human race."
"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose."

Link Copied to Clipboard