P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
They already got over 1 Milion.

old hand
old hand
@Elliot_Kane

I just hope that they actually take their time with this game because past Obsidian Entertainment games have all been bugged at release. Still the fact that a developer such as they are going back to the roots of RPG's is a positive note for this could inspire more developers to produce such RPG's again. I mean we've already got Larian producing Original Sin as one so everything is pointing too the right direction especially with Beamdog who are releasing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition soon, I understand it that are doing more Enhanced Editions of other games before moving onto their own traditional isometric RPG's.

Demonic #457815 15/09/12 09:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Totally agree, Demonic, yes. I don't think the Baldur's Gate style RPGs stopped being made because of gamer disinterest, and the speed at which Obsidian raised the money from their Kickstarter definitely shows the market is as hungry for them as ever.

Now Obsidian have to prove that it really IS the publishers that force them to put out buggy projects before they are done. Let's hope they can.

As for BG EE, well, I'm more interested in the Dragon Age mod team making BG2 Redux. Check this:

Please click the banner...
Support
Support

GOG has a sale on (until Friday the 21st): Diamonds of D&D - 9 games for $30. The more games you buy the larger the discount (unselect the cheapest game, and the price goes up by $1). I unselected the 3 game I already have (disk versions) and the total was still pretty much $30.

Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
Baldur's Gate II: Complete
Icewind Dale Complete
Icewind Dale 2 Complete
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition
Planescape: Torment
Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Totally agree, Demonic, yes. I don't think the Baldur's Gate style RPGs stopped being made because of gamer disinterest, and the speed at which Obsidian raised the money from their Kickstarter definitely shows the market is as hungry for them as ever.

Now Obsidian have to prove that it really IS the publishers that force them to put out buggy projects before they are done. Let's hope they can.

As for BG EE, well, I'm more interested in the Dragon Age mod team making BG2 Redux. Check this:

That looks awesome. That just reminds me of what's possible with the DA toolset:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0LJfxwUkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EK9H51LyQ

Last edited by Demonic; 16/09/12 12:29 AM.
Demonic #457823 16/09/12 05:44 AM
veteran
veteran
Nice finds, Demonic! smile

This one is probably my favourite:

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
and the speed at which Obsidian raised the money from their Kickstarter definitely shows the market is as hungry for them as ever.

I disagree.

I believe they got their money that quickly because there i a severe drought.

Of exactly this kind of game they wanna do (and Larian as well, by the way, and not forgetting the "Chaos Chronicles").

Who would do that kind of game ?

- EA / Bioware ? Nope
- Bethsoft ? Nope
- ActiBlizzard ? Nope
- Ubisoft ? Nope
- Namco ? Nope
- Square Helix ... ahem .. ? Nope

Who's left ? Clearly none of the bigger names in the PC industry.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 16/09/12 10:44 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Actually, Alrik, you are agreeing with me smile

I said the MARKET - IE us gamers - want those kinds of game as much as ever. Not that publishers/companies would make them for us.

Sorry for the confusion smile

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
Ah, okay.

Chaos Chronicles sounds very good, too.

I mean the game in the making. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
At most there will be 50,000-100,000 backers for Project Eternity. This is not something that will make publishers care who nowadays cater to millions. The gaming market is completely different than it was 10 years ago.

The "classic RPG" went the same way as the adventure game, with the difference that there are still plenty of publishers that support the latter (indeed, each year plenty of adventure games are released, a fact to which the general public is oblivious and erroneously called the genre dead), while aside from Atari and DTP some years back, not one publisher still supports classic RPGs -> because the RPG genre has been "hijacked" by the action genre.

What I want most of all, is a new Drakensang game. And there are many other projects from European indie devs (e.g. Chaos Chronicles), but Kickstarter is only for US market...

Last edited by virumor; 16/09/12 05:59 PM.
virumor #457839 16/09/12 08:37 PM
veteran
veteran
Funny you should mention Adventure Games, Virumor... Look what just got Kickstarted:

Serpent's Curse Kickstarter

By a British company, no less!

(Sure this one will please Alrik as much as it pleases me, BTW :))

(And backers, you can bet, is not at all the same as buyers!)

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I'm hereby recommending Trine. A wonderful game ! smile But it is primarily a Jump & Run game ...

A wonderful game indeed and so is its sequel. Also has some of the most beautiful, most enchanting fairy tale design and backgrounds I've ever seen! Highly recommended up

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
virumor #457866 17/09/12 06:57 PM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
Drakensang ? Forget it. That will never happen. No-one will buy it because it is far too lighthearted. Forget it.

--Dilbert cartoon

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
(Sure this one will please Alrik as much as it pleases me, BTW :))

Yes ! wink

I'm only very short on my money right now, plus I wouldn't know how to support them - but this is the only game I'd think I'd support. smile

Originally Posted by Macbeth
I'm hereby recommending Trine. A wonderful game ! smile But it is primarily a Jump & Run game ...

A wonderful game indeed and so is its sequel. Also has some of the most beautiful, most enchanting fairy tale design and backgrounds I've ever seen! Highly recommended up

Yes !

And I was sooo disappointed when i read that the retail version requires Steam, too !!

Steam for retail versions !!! What's the use of this anyway ? And worse : It spreads ! Like a plague ! Offline games become forced online games !

The more steam is used for *retail* , the more I dislike it.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 17/09/12 07:02 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
^ Totally with Alrik on this one.

Putting a requirement for Steam on single player offline games at retail is inexcusable, IMO. If I wanted their system on my games, I'd buy from Steam direct.

old hand
old hand
Well Dragon Age 3 has been officially announced:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/17/bioware-announce-dragon-age-iii-inquisition

And it has the subtitle of Inquisition and is based upon the Frostbite engine. Let's just hope it has more in similar with Origins than with DA2.

Last edited by Demonic; 17/09/12 10:57 PM.
Demonic #457871 18/09/12 11:22 AM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
It uses Frostbite 2, which means

- no Directx 9
- no Windows XP

Result : Money saved. wink

Quote from the RPGWatch forums :

No one expects the Dragon Age Inquisition!

--Dilbert cartoon

stranger
stranger

Btw, did anyone play the Play Station 2 RPGs SMT III: Nocturne, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2?
These had in my opinion the best story in the RPGs I have played (Dystopian cyberpunk supernatural setting).

I already got 2 good old RPGs scouring the forums (dont remmeber where) but those where Zanzarah and Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

managed to trade for a copy of Heretic Kingdoms from a friend, and its very fun laugh

having trouble finding Zanzarah where the shipping wont leave me bankrupt (I am outside US/Canada) but eh

so any good recommendations, mainly to pass the time till D:DC and D:OS are out (preferably avoid loot games)?

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
Zanzarah is not an RPG ... It is ... well, rather some sort of adventure, where you train your iown Fairies which duel against Fairies of other people so that you can proceed on your way.
But to me it was an wonderful game when I had played it ... smile

--Dilbert cartoon

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
If you answer [to] the "annual GOG survey", until September, 17th, 2012, then you can get the first two Realms Of Arcania games for free !

Got my gift voucher yesterday! smile

Anybody else backing Project Eternity by the way?

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard