Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Demonic #457863 17/09/12 04:52 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kein
Not because of the perspective, imho. Rather because of their story [...]

...setting and gameplay. Dialogues. Chaercter deveopment. Game mechanics.

Yea those are important to :hihi:

Originally Posted by Demonic

Divinity 2 WAS an action-RPG because you yourself had to press buttons to attack and some things relied on player skill.

well any game you have to push buttons :hihi: otherwise it would be a movie.

and you do know what an action RPG is, right?
Action RPGs are games like Darkspore, Diablo, Orcs must die (in a way) Deus Ex HR, Rage, the hack and slash games and the games based around how FUN it is, not the RPGs that seek to immerse you into the game, the ones that are slightly less fun but a hell of a lot more addictive, Like divinty 2 was a very good game, i spent 50+ hours on it so far and im not bored of it, and im in my 2nd playthrough and my first time playing it i got really immersed into the game world, it kinda felt like i was the dragon knight, i wasn't playing a game, however that does not mean its the most fun game i have played, i have a lot more fun playing a game like Darkspore, Diablo or FTL but it's just fun, not immersive, and single player RPGs are supposed to be immersive, if you want to play an RPG for maxing out your character any way possible and not get immersed into the game, play an MMO.

Nom nom nom Humans.

My Divinity 2 - The Dragon knight saga Lets Play on youtube:

First Episode: https://tinyurl.com/dyxgb4c
Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/bm7jxn7
Venix #457869 17/09/12 10:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Well if I get immersed in Call of Duty, does that suddenly mean it's a traditional role playing game? Of course not! When I was referring to "bashing buttons" I meant for combat. Divinity 2 requires you to constantly bash the attack button to attack. In Divinity Divinity all you had to do was click on an enemy and your character attacked, combat was based on statistics and your abilities. While Divinity 2 still retains an importance for statistics and abilities, there are some encounters where you can win by skill alone and your rolling and jumping capabilities become important during these fights (especially if you're playing on Nightmare).

Demonic #457875 18/09/12 06:03 PM
journeyman
journeyman
immersed into call of duty? BAHAHAHAHA! "Im honored to finally meet the court jester"

im sorry but after reading that i can't take you seriously anymore :hihi:

Nom nom nom Humans.

My Divinity 2 - The Dragon knight saga Lets Play on youtube:

First Episode: https://tinyurl.com/dyxgb4c
Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/bm7jxn7
Venix #457878 18/09/12 10:18 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Venix
immersed into call of duty? BAHAHAHAHA! "Im honored to finally meet the court jester"

im sorry but after reading that i can't take you seriously anymore :hihi:

Well I was kinda exposing your faulty logic there.

"Divinity II immerses me, therefore it's *not* an action-RPG despite having the mechanics of one. Rather it's a traditional-old-school-RPG in the vein of RPG's like Baldur's Gate."

"CoD immerses me, therefore it's *not* an FPS despite having the mechanics of one. Rather it's a traditional-old-school-RPG in the vein of RPG's like Baldur's Gate."

No, CoD has never immersed me, I don't even like it. Castlevania Lords of Shadow immersed me though and I truly sympathized with Gabriel but do I consider it a traditional-RPG for that reason? No. It's just proof that an action-adventure game can immerse you too. Action-RPG's are meant to immerse the player due to the importance of story (why do you think Mass Effect and The Witcher 2 are so popular?) so if Divinity II didn't immerse anyone, then it wasn't doing its job.

Diablo, Darkspore and Torchlight are all action-loot-RPG's (there's a fundamental difference) and are based upon killing, looting and leveling up. There's no role playing in terms of choices to make and the story is lite.

Action-RPG's have many things in similar with a traditional RPG but combat contains action elements and some aspects are down to player skill.

Last edited by Demonic; 18/09/12 10:23 PM.
Demonic #457884 19/09/12 05:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Diablo, Darkspore and Torchlight are all action-loot-RPG's (there's a fundamental difference) and are based upon killing, looting and leveling up

BUT YOU LOOT THEREFORE YOU ROLEPLAY! You can show all your friends what cool things you earned during your non-stop 24/7 loot/leveling marathon (because you have no job and too much free time)! Isn't this a roleplay - when you play a role of a loot bot? And you play it well!

Kein #457891 19/09/12 07:34 PM
old hand
old hand
I take it you don't like loot games. Neither do I.

Demonic #457899 21/09/12 11:47 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
@demonic and @kein

yes nondedoeme yes!

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
stranger
stranger
O_o I don't get the dislike for loot games... for me I play them more like in 40 minute chunks during weekdays when I don't have time to play a real RPG (read non-loot), cause if I start one, I will probably miss my job the next day and that will be bad.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Lootgames are lootgames - not role-playing games.

It's as if I'd call a Formula 1 fast-racing car race a sightseeing tourist tour.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Loot games are boring most of the time and just involving killing hordes of enemies and then collecting new loot. I need engaging combat and a good plot to keep me progressing. Loot games can't hold my attention for too long.

War in The North is the only action RPG "loot" game that has done that and that's because it isn't like other loot games which simply feature one button for your normal attacks and one for abilities. WiTN actually featured action combat, a plot and dialogue so there was plenty of reason to keep progressing through the game and I found the combat engaging, fluid and more importantly, fun. If anything WiTN was more-or-less an action-RPG with looting elements.

Last edited by Demonic; 22/09/12 08:09 PM.
Venix #457932 23/09/12 03:58 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Venix

out of all the games you listed, i do not recognize any of those games apart from fallout, and if fallout 3 or new vegas didn't come out as a 3rd/1st person RPG then i would not know what fallout is, it seems the older generation gamers seem to like isometric, where as the majority of the gaming community will want a 3rd/1st person RPG

You don't know about the best games in the rpg genre? ffs...

I would add Arcanum and Divine Divinity to this list. My rpg experience would not be the same without all those games.

Last edited by Sawovsky; 23/09/12 04:37 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard