Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
If it turns out that Damian's demigodhood is powered by a magical ring that he lost somewhere, then by all means, call in a halfling.

But as far as I know, his demigodness is powered by the soul of the Lord of Chaos, and I think that not even the sword Narsil is sharp enough to cut the soul out of a demigod.

Different ending sequences are certainly possible to do, but this series has never done that before. I think there's too much blood and hate for a Damian redemption story to be believable.

Even if Damian could be weakened enough that a non-demigod could kill him, my point is that the emotional heart of the conflict is not between Damian and Bozo The Random New Protagonist, It's between Damian and his foster father Lucian. Lucian's beheading of Ygerna was the act that Damian could not forgive, the act that turned him to the darkness.

Just look at the scene in Divinity 2 where Damian and Zandalor show up in the Battle Tower after the defeat of Laiken. Damian doesn't give the Dragon Knight a second glance - he doesn't care one way or the other. It's Zandalor, the friend of Lucian who draws Damian's ire.

Nothing Bozo TRNP has done could compare with that.

Venix Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
well, a dragon knight could best a demigod, damian and the divine are both demigods, yes, but aren't dragons an 'Omnipotent' Race compared to humans, surely a dragon god would be more powerful than a human god. so maybe a dragon demigod? or maybe the dragon knight can ascend into demigodhood somehow, maybe, as i said you have to do many things like look through the wreckage of the raven etc, surely a heir to the throne than is a dragon knight (the prince from dragon commander) would be close to a dragon demigod, as kings are supposedly chosen by gods, so maybe you have to talk to the princes spirit. maybe...even find Maxos.

Nom nom nom Humans.

My Divinity 2 - The Dragon knight saga Lets Play on youtube:

First Episode: https://tinyurl.com/dyxgb4c
Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/bm7jxn7
stranger
stranger
Well I finished DD, thing is i hated the canonical divine ( maybe cause i played and finished DKS before DD?). I mean he wimps out killing a baby (but can be a mass murdering maniac rest of the game as long as he is strong enough to survive) who he knows is destined to be vessel for lord chaos soul, and then in his idiocy he beheads Daiman's girlfriend in hopes of shackling lord chaos's growth, which it actually jump starts.

I mean jeez... in hindsight the morally thing to do screwed over Rivelion.

I say the Divine doesn't deserve the satisfaction of the opportunity to off his foster son...what if he wimps out in the end (remember before starting of DKS in that plane prison thinghy he still refers to Damned one as his son)??

I hope the divine sacrifices himself weakening the damned one a lot, removing Lucian form the picture.
And the slayer turned dragon knight gets power-ups from The Patriarch (or other true uncorrupted dragons) and they finally clash on an even battlefield? Trapping Damian would be dangerous as Damian did the same ot Lucian and the dragon knight , but his plans were screwed...just saying eliminate the threat

The power-up could be like what was given near ending of DKS...a unique skill which makes daimain vulnerable for a short time perhaps?

OR

for balancing issues, it could be "reformatting" or ascending the dragon knight, making him fundamentally capable of growing to the point he can clash with Daiman. This could involve de-leveling him and and adding extra skill tree(s)

Though offing Ygerna at the end of DKS was very satisfying, since she was the one who manipulated the dragon knight as her pet. Those with that levle of attachment to the divine will hope that the divine is the one who offs the damned one...

EDIT: Funny thing, i never noticed talana's and ygerna's voice were different until my second play thru where i payed attention to that limited talana's dialogue.

Last edited by Chaotic Heretic; 23/09/12 09:26 PM.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Just look at the scene in Divinity 2 where Damian and Zandalor show up in the Battle Tower after the defeat of Laiken. Damian doesn't give the Dragon Knight a second glance - he doesn't care one way or the other. It's Zandalor, the friend of Lucian who draws Damian's ire.

Nothing Bozo TRNP has done could compare with that.

I think this is as it should be. I'm a bit bored with games where I end up playing the Hero of Everything(tm) (looking at you, Elder Scrolls), it's unoriginal and makes the game world feel rather small; I'd much rather play a role in something, important perhaps, but one where the really serious business is handled by more heavyweight characters than the random farm girl turned dragon knight I've been playing.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Battle your enemy (here Damian) with the same weapons ... !

Damian & Ygerna were Soulforged, but not in the way Zandalor /the Divine known the outcome ... (right?)
So why not make a plan together with Zandalor to set a Cursed Soulforge on the Divine ?
The Divine try to kill Damian up close and personal ... IF Damina kills the Divine he cursed himself and so he's Soulforged with his most important allies, his most gruesome Black Ring generals (or whatever), thanks to the Cursed Soulforge Spell Zandalor used on the Divine.

With this plan the player has at least more than 1 way to defeat Damian and the Divine is playing a very important role !
Maybe turn around the roles? Let the "protagonist" try to kill Damian and the Divine go to kill Damian's allies ? Let this possiblility up the to the player for and extra way to make an end on Damian's forces ?
Kill all his allies (or at least some of his most gruesome ones) and Damian's is no longer !

Storywise :
Divnity III's story starts with the Divine and an the last of the Dragon Knights.(who killed Ygerna at the end of Divnity II)
Zandalor's first step in a great plan require some sacrifices :
the Dragon Knight's powers must strengthen back the Divine after his long period of "captured in a cristal" ... This is of course a great honour for the Dragon Knight. Then the Dragon Knight becomes back a very weak person and start his/her Journey (level 1) with his/her counsellor that is the Divine .
I don't know if Larian is planning to have "dragons" in Divnity III ? If so it can give Divinity III an extra dimension, but without dragons it's also possible to make a great RPG (I believe).
Maybe the Patriarch plays in DIII a more important role ? Why not . Could be fun .

IF the player/gamer loose his new hero it's over and the Divine must do the rest (idea) !
OR the Divine chooses another "person" (one of the NPC's in the game can be upgraded to a playable character ?? -just another idea !)

This all plop up in my mind on the moment, not sure it's possible and not sure if these are good ideas at all !
Just some "ideas", not more or less wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Venix
well, a dragon knight could best a demigod, damian and the divine are both demigods, yes, but aren't dragons an 'Omnipotent' Race compared to humans, surely a dragon god would be more powerful than a human god. so maybe a dragon demigod?

Zandalor didn't think so. That was the plot of Divinity 2 - kill Ygerna because a head-on attack wouldn't work.

Dragon Knights live a long time, certainly, but they were NOT invincible - hence the band of humans wiping them all out. The Dragon Slayers?

If ordinary humans could take out Dragon Knights with nothing more than a few years of training, it says to me that the Dragon Knights weren't as close to as powerful as a real Dragon.

I'm not going to form an opinion on whether the events of Dragon Commander should affect Divinity 3 thousands of years later until I get a chance to play Dragon Commander.

Chaotic Heretic - congratulations on finishing Divine Divinity.

I agree that the Divine did make some mistakes and helped to turn Damian into what he is now. That's one of the reasons why I think it's appropriate for him to correct the mistake himself.

I suppose a self-sacrifice to rid Damian of his powers would fall under that category, though.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
If ordinary humans could take out Dragon Knights with nothing more than a few years of training, it says to me that the Dragon Knights weren't as close to as powerful as a real Dragon.

Didn't Lovis (? I think) make this very point: that people commonly lumped in the dragons and dragon knights as being the same thing, but the reality was that the dragon knights were very much lesser than the actual dragons.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
dragon knight as a demigod

Please no, for the love of the god.

Venix Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
why not? as i said, surely a dragon knight demigod would be half dragon god, 1/4 dragon and 1/4 human? where as damian and the divine are both 1/2 human and 1/2 human god, surely a half dragon, half human as a half dragon knight, half dragon god would be more powerful, then it would be more than an even playing field, the dragon knight could just poke damian and he would die. THE END. wooo! terrible plot ideas FTW!

Nom nom nom Humans.

My Divinity 2 - The Dragon knight saga Lets Play on youtube:

First Episode: https://tinyurl.com/dyxgb4c
Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/bm7jxn7
apprentice
apprentice
The character in Beyond Divinity was able to defeat Damian in battle. Perhaps he/she can also come back in Divinity III. The player character from Beyond Divinity, the Divine One, the Dragon Knight in DKS, and Zandalor can work together collectively in fighting against Damian and his forces.

Then, possibly, you've also got the help of Deodatus, Bellegar, and perhaps the spirit of Mardaneus in Divine Divinity. Or maybe Mardaneus is resurrected. You never know in Rivellon...

A new player character in Divinity III could coordinate the efforts of all the people mentioned above and try to fight Damian in his/her own way.

I wonder what everyone thinks about this setup...

Last edited by Rocky; 28/09/12 11:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Venix
why not? as i said, surely a dragon knight demigod would be half dragon god, 1/4 dragon and 1/4 human? where as damian and the divine are both 1/2 human and 1/2 human god, surely a half dragon, half human as a half dragon knight, half dragon god would be more powerful, then it would be more than an even playing field, the dragon knight could just poke damian and he would die. THE END. wooo! terrible plot ideas FTW!

Jesus Christ.

Originally Posted by Rocky
The character in Beyond Divinity was able to defeat Damian in battle.

Was he? Even though you technically can win the battle, I thought according to the story paladin dies here and Damian invades Rivellon as we can see in D2? If I'm not mistaken, BD ends properly even if you die in battle with Damian.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rocky
The character in Beyond Divinity was able to defeat Damian in battle. Perhaps he/she can also come back in Divinity III. The player character from Beyond Divinity, the Divine One, the Dragon Knight in DKS, and Zandalor can work together collectively in fighting against Damian and his forces.

Well, you do have to win that fight (dying is still game over, Kein), but after you "win", Damian says that he was just playing with you and throws you into a rift going somewhere, so I'm not really sure that counts as "defeating Damian", because you don't. Damian wins no matter the outcome.

I'm not really sure about a "kitchen sink" final battle idea. We've already got people who didn't play Divinity 1, and how many never played BD? Throwing in too many references might just be confusing.

Also, the BD paladin would be like 70 years old by the time of Divinity 3, and unlike the Divine or Dragon Knight, he/she wasn't bestowed with a long lifespan as far as I know. (the 90+ year old Seth and Baud and Deodatus in BD were stretching things enough.)

veteran
veteran
My idea to start with the Divine One who after the "prolog" (or whatever "intro" is possible)has the possibility to choose between a few NPC characters ! After the Divine makes a chooice the specific NPC character becomes a "playable character" and a new male or female hero see the light and start his/her new journey !
Each NPC has his/her own abilities and his/her own backgroundstory and that influences the outcome (maybe even the finale outcome!) of many main story related events and/or quests, dialogs, relationships, ... etc !

But still, just a few ideas that ... blub blub blub ... in my mind :hihi:

wave

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
apprentice
apprentice
My idea to start with the Divine One who after the "prolog" (or whatever "intro" is possible)has the possibility to choose between a few NPC characters ! After the Divine makes a chooice the specific NPC character becomes a "playable character" and a new male or female hero see the light and start his/her new journey! Each NPC has his/her own abilities and his/her own backgroundstory and that influences the outcome (maybe even the finale outcome!) of many main story related events and/or quests, dialogs, relationships, ... etc !

The idea above sounds like a twist on Dragon Age Origins.

Perhaps let the player decide who faces off against Damian and then let this decision affect the storyline, combat, questing development, plus the ending. The character might kill Damian, banished Damian once again, or do something else surprising and unpredictable to Damian. Maybe leave some options open here.

This sort of thing would add more customization to the game itself, create more ending sequences, and again, increase replayability.

The game doesn't even have to end after Damian is dealt with, of course. An enemy equal in strength can come forth. Alternatively something or something else which is more powerful arises.

Possibly, in one ending, the Divine One disagrees with the decision to kill Damian and a new conflict is created.

Last edited by Rocky; 30/09/12 05:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
I never played any of the Dragon Age games,
so I don't know what you mean wink

apprentice
apprentice
I have not read the entire Divinity storyline provided inside the novella Child of the Chaos. I have played Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and DKS though.

It would be interesting to let the player decide whether to play as the paladin from Beyond Divinity, the Divine One, the Dragon Knight, or a fourth character. There can be male and female versions for each of them. Each of them will also have the option to kill Damian or settle for several other options.

The storyline and gameplay can be slightly modified for each character from the beginning to the end. The background story for each player character can also bring new players up to speed.

Also, the BD paladin would be like 70 years old by the time of Divinity 3, and unlike the Divine or Dragon Knight, he/she wasn't bestowed with a long lifespan as far as I know. (the 90+ year old Seth and Baud and Deodatus in BD were stretching things enough.)

The story can still be modified to include the BD paladin inside Divinity III. As far as I know, very little is known about what happens to the paladin after he defeats Damian. A lot could have happened which would allow him/her to see Damian again.

Besides, near the end of BD, Damian even says that there will be a reckoning for the paladin sometime in the future. No one knows when, exactly. Thus, it's not outside the realm of possibility for the paladin to show up in Divinity III. The BD paladin can be given a unique backstory in Divinity III as he/she goes through the game.

Last edited by Rocky; 01/10/12 03:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think that making three or four different variants on a story would be problematic.

If things aren't very different no matter who you pick, then who you pick doesn't matter much.

If things ARE vastly different if you pick a different protagonist, that takes resources that could have been used to make one really top-notch story.

apprentice
apprentice
Well...you never know...something like this was done for Dragon Age Origins. It turned out to be a great game. I'll admit it also still has room for improvement in some areas based on Amazon reviews, but it was still very ambitious in its scope.

Perhaps there are enough resources to create different variants on a story and make them all top notch.

Last edited by Rocky; 03/10/12 08:28 PM.
old hand
old hand

apprentice
apprentice
Granted, in Dragon Age Origins, characters started at level 1.

The main difference is in Divinity III, the Divine One, Dragon Knight, Paladin, and other possible protagonists could start at a much higher level. Their background will not be limited by class.

Each unique protagonist could have a unique storyline and start in a unique location based on the background story they had in the beginning of the game.

Specially tailored quests, along with unique dialogue could also be designed for each different protagonist. And, each protagonist can have unique skills and abilities. At the same time, a classless system can still be integrated into the game.

The possibility of having different storylines possess believability. This is the case because it's possible for the Dragon Knight, Divine One, paladin, and an alternative protagonist to all be in Rivellon at the same time. It's just that their initial starting location might be miles apart.

Last edited by Rocky; 03/10/12 10:21 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard