Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458269 11/10/12 10:42 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Loved DKS, one of the best 3d world RPGs in recent times so was really looking forward to a follow up.... 2d perspective/co-op RPGs just dont do it for me personally though. Was disappointed to hear about the change for Original Sin.

Hope it does well and then you can make a Divinity 3 with full 3d perspective, single player focussed engrossing story and everything else that made me love DKS.

Until then, I wish you the best Larian

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
Support
Support

If you head over to GOG you can pay what you want for Divine Divinity, assuming you're inclined to give it a chance. That could give you an idea of D:OS should be like. DD has much more world interaction than DKS (you can move chests or furniture, etc, around, stash stuff wherever you wish, etc). You can pull levers and light a couple candles in DKS, but there was more of a sense of exploration in DD, where a pile of boxes or rocks could be covering something, and lighting candles around a pentagram was more of a random encounter than the obvious quest related instance in DKS. Of course in DKS the quest design is much more elaborate, and the world not nearly as flat, etc. The music, dialog, atmosphere, etc are similar.

From what I understand, the possibility of co-op play in D:OS should not hurt the single player focus.
FWIW someone from Larian mentioned that with the mod tools being released it is possible someone could mod the game to allow rotation of the camera, though the artwork was designed assuming a fixed angle camera, so that would expose some missing walls, and stuff like that.

addict
addict
I can understand his point of view, this is NOT the same way to play, the same thrills. I do understand that some people prefer agressif games and DKS was the best on sevrals point (much more appreciate than the elder scroll that I have never played more than 20 hours on one of them). But D:OS go back to the source of Divinity games. I do not tell that it is bad, it just offer different way of playing, different options. I hope you will still try it because this game will have so much to offer !!

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
All I can say is that D:OS is largely made by the same team that made Divinity II. Which means the quality of the story, quests, character & world design, music etc. will be the same or better than Divinity II (we do have a bit more experience now than we did 5 years ago). The humor and love that goes into our games doesn't change, no matter the camera perspective or combat system.

So I do hope you will give it a try.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Greever
All I can say is that D:OS is largely made by the same team that made Divinity II. Which means the quality of the story, quests, character & world design, music etc. will be the same or better than Divinity II (we do have a bit more experience now than we did 5 years ago). The humor and love that goes into our games doesn't change, no matter the camera perspective or combat system.

So I do hope you will give it a try.

I knew it!
I knew it all those years
I play the Larian Games ...
But it's always very nice
To see such words arise !

Greever,
You make my day !! claphands

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
A
veteran
veteran
A
There's just too many 3rd person view games & shooters out there.
Borg : "We will make ALL games into shooters ..."

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Now I'm really curious who left Larian from original DD team since then.

Last edited by Kein; 16/10/12 10:59 AM.
Originally Posted by Kein

From the people who worked on DD, the only ones that remain are:
- Swen (Was Project Lead and Lead Programmer, now no longer programs but runs Larian and remains Project Lead for both D:OS and D:DC)
- Kyrill (Music)
- Lynn (Office Managment)
- Tristan (Was Background artist, has since been promoted to Lead Artist)

The rest of us however worked closely with and were trained by many of the original staff before they moved on to different companies/jobs. 'The Larian Way Of Making Games' has been passed on from generation to generation wink

old hand
old hand
IMO Divine Divinity is the best of the Divinity games so far. I don't think Original Sin will top it. The reasons? Turn-based combat and artstyle. So many top-down games recently have that artstyle as opposed to a more realistic one as found in Divine Divinity. Meanwhile, turn-based combat has never been a favorite of mine. This is all a matter of preference though. It's a given that Original Sin will have good writing, quests, atmosphere, story and characters but I'm unsure about the combat but who knows, I might come to enjoy it.

Either way, if Original Sin features the same exploration as Divine Divinity but in an even bigger world then there's going to be lots of fun to be had.

enthusiast
enthusiast
IMO Divine Divinity is the best of the Divinity games so far. And I have high hopes for OS. The reasons? Turn-based combat and the artstyle.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein

From the people who worked on DD, the only ones that remain are:
- Swen (Was Project Lead and Lead Programmer, now no longer programs but runs Larian and remains Project Lead for both D:OS and D:DC)
- Kyrill (Music)
- Lynn (Office Managment)

The rest of us however worked closely with and were trained by many of the original staff before they moved on to different companies/jobs. 'The Larian Way Of Making Games' has been passed on from generation to generation wink

Haha, nice to hear that. While I'm excited for project Eternity, of course, my hopes and wishes are still on your side, Larian. They are making "old good RPG, being awesome" because they are fans of such games. You are fans of such games too but yet you try to adapt and evolve old good core of the "PC RPG -- DnD based -- genre" to the new times so I really look forward to the "dwarf"-project.

Anyway:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kein; 17/10/12 11:33 PM.
Support
Support

Currently the count is 20,135 so the third milestone is unlocked. Somehow in the minutes that remain I don't think it'll get to 50k, though. sad

So that's why even though divinity II was in 3d something felt really familiar about the art design. It's like some subtle flavor from Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity was there.

old hand
old hand
Nah, Tristan spent a year building a cart for DivDiv. The one left of George's shop. Most expensive cart in game history. Luckily he did lots more in Div2.

Tweeting @forktong
veteran
veteran
Luckely it was not Mpenzak's cart which the gamer can simply blow up ... then all the expensive work making a cart would blowing in the wind ... :hihi:

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
Luckily it wasn't the cart that had a traffic accident with a dwarf's cart either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TcUOWtNkZg

stranger
stranger
I for one am quite excited about the return to a top-down perspective and even more about the turn-based gameplay. I had no idea DOS was gonna be turn-based.

The art style looks too warcrafty for my taste but I'll bear it if the rest is good.

Originally Posted by ForkTong
Nah, Tristan spent a year building a cart for DivDiv. The one left of George's shop. Most expensive cart in game history. Luckily he did lots more in Div2.

grin Spending a year building a cart is good trait for a Larian Lead Artist. The most expensive cart in game history is indeed a worthy achievement.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I was actually very upset when Fallout 3 was created in first person. I became used to it after a while, and I think it has it's own atmosphere and method of story telling. But I still prefer top down 3rd person. I like the idea that I'm playing a character, not pretending to be the character.

Just my thoughts though.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Personally, I fear tht everything "MUST" be in 3D nowadays is the result of the heavily selling shooter genre.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch

Link Copied to Clipboard