Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
I voted +101 hours !
I'm totally sure I spend +120 hours to become a L45 hero (FoV ending) ... !
But it was worth my time ... smile

Okay, I always take my time and each new level I now do my TTTTT : a Trading Tour of the Ten Thousand Traders hahaha
I remember starting the game, do the TTTTT I was busy for 1 hour playtime checking all the merchants inventories ! That was long, I know, but I was "learning" how to travel & teleporting the best way to make a TTTCTTT, or : Travel Teleporting Trading Circle of the Then Thousand Traders smile
But at least I spend many hours (minimum 20 min each level X 45 = 15 hour) doing my TNT (Trading Navigation Tour) during a whole playthrough

Can you still follow ?


On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Aug 2010
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Aug 2010
@OP

35 hours is good for an RPG and you are getting your money's worth for that. FOV might should another 10-15 hours onto that and that will give you either 45-50 hours of gameplay which is typical of most RPG's. Still, when the back-cover is saying "one hundred hours" then you expect one hundred hours. However I guess Larian said that statement based on the average finish time of testers and based on the comments in thread, most people got 100 hours out of the game in one play-through. I guess me and you are just faster at games than other people.

Divinity 2 isn't the only game I've played where I've beat it quicker than the time it's said to last for. Dragon's Dogma was supposed to be a 200 hour game and I beat it in 70 hours. Dragon Age: Origins was supposed to be a 70 hour game and I beat it in 30 hours first go (my quickest time is 17 hours).

I've learned to realize that when someone says "100 hours in content" it's either 40 or 30 for me. Difficulty does increase the time though. Halo games on normal difficulty are around 7-8 hours long first go. Play on Legendary and each level will take around 1-2 hours giving you 15-17 hours in total by the end. I think my nightmare difficulty playthrough of DKS will end at the counter of 55 hours (as opposed to the 38 hours I got on normal difficulty first go but it should be noted that I had previously played through the original game - before DKS - twice and thus I knew how everything could be done).

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
I suppose I'm surprised that it only took me 30 hours to do the ED component: it felt longer, and I'm not normally a very fast player since getting side-tracked and trying to find new secret things is what I do. Maybe the times on the chat log just weren't very accurate. DA:O for instance I found myself getting nearly 100 hours out of; FO3 was typically about 200 hours, Oblivion over 300.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Actually, Larian was more conservative, with their official estimates as 40 and 20 hours for D2:ED and FoV. The publisher went with a (still reasonable) 100 hour estimate.

Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
I don't get it... I spent 100 hours or so with DKS. Maybe i tried to unblock as many content as possible..., but I never tried hard to do it. 35 hours... wow, you probably rushed your way in laugh

Joined: Jan 2012
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jan 2012
I don't get it either. It took me a little over 100 hours for the base game both times,first on normal then on Hard, as opposed to around 80 hours for DA:O and FO:NV, and around 50 hours for ME2 and FO3. There are around 70 side quests in the base game, some with alternative outcomes. Remember there are "wanted" boards where you can pick up long lists of bad guys to track down, and your enchanter, alchemist, etc., all give quests. I think the people who are saying they did it in around 35 hours may have missed a few things. Maybe on casual, but it's difficult to see it on higher levels. Either way, rushing through it kind of seems to defeat the purpose of an RPG.


Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by DocSmith59
I don't get it either. It took me a little over 100 hours for the base game both times,first on normal then on Hard, as opposed to around 80 hours for DA:O and FO:NV, and around 50 hours for ME2 and FO3. There are around 70 side quests in the base game, some with alternative outcomes. Remember there are "wanted" boards where you can pick up long lists of bad guys to track down, and your enchanter, alchemist, etc., all give quests. I think the people who are saying they did it in around 35 hours may have missed a few things. Maybe on casual, but it's difficult to see it on higher levels. Either way, rushing through it kind of seems to defeat the purpose of an RPG.

I'm my case, I did every quest I could find, including those you mentioned, as well as a fair bit of exploration (edit: "a fair bit" meaning wandering everywhere I could find often multiple times!) I specifically dislike rushing games, so I can only guess that the quest log's counter was a bit off.

Edit 2: in fact I'm certain it is. No way did I do FoV in just 10 hours: probably over twice that.

Last edited by Vometia; 17/10/12 01:50 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
I just think ...
I love the skill "Rush Attack" ...
But I don't love "rushing" through the Dragon Knight Saga ...
(and none of the RPG's I play)


How funny contradictory grin


On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Raze

Congratulations. party

I was going to offer to try your save when D2:DC is released in a couple days, if you hadn't gotten it resolved.


Thanks, Raze smile

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I seriously doubt you did "everything" in only 35 hours. I've played this game 4 times, for a total of 332 hours, and it took about 60 hours each time for me to do everything. Plus, almost every quest has more than one solution, so there is definitely more than 100 hours worth of game here.


Well I just finished the game (including Flames of Vengeance) and clocked 45-hours.

You're welcome to doubt as much as you like but that's a fact: I did everything that there was to do, I explored every nook and cranny, cleared my quest log, mindread every NPC I could possibly mindread and finished with a level-47 character.

I don't know what you guys who got more than 50-hours out of it spent so much time doing in one playthrough but it certainly wasn't playing laugh

I'm waiting for my significant other to finish, then we'll compare. We're both heavy RPG fans and we are both completionists.

Originally Posted by Joram
I just think ...
I love the skill "Rush Attack" ...
But I don't love "rushing" through the Dragon Knight Saga ...
(and none of the RPG's I play)


How funny contradictory grin


Haha laugh Well, my build was very spell-heavy. I tend to play as close to a summoning/pet class as possible and that's what I did for the most part. Had my beloved creature as a mage, the demon spell, fireball and magic missle for most of the game. Towards the end I used fire wall a bit but it wasn't much use and I only grabbed it because there wasn't anything else I felt I needed or wanted (at this point pretty much everything useful--mindread, mana conservation, lockpick, demon, fireball, magic missile--were all at 15 or their max equivalent.)

As I said, I have no idea how some of you managed to get so much more time out of it than I did but c'est la vie.

The ending was great and I really loved Divinity 2. Fantastic game and I look forward to what Larian does next laugh

Joined: Jan 2012
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jan 2012
Originally Posted by Joram
I just think ...
I love the skill "Rush Attack" ...
But I don't love "rushing" through the Dragon Knight Saga ...
(and none of the RPG's I play)


How funny contradictory grin


Just finished my second playthrough, on Hard, 128 hours total, about 108 for the base game and about 20 hours for FoV. I don't like rushing either. I'm a real tourist, wandering around looking at scenery, taking pictures, checking out eyerything in the shops, trying to get Kirill to play Rambler from Slavs just one more time. If there was a place in Riwellon where I could buy t-shirts and little flags for my pack, maybe little souvenir statuettes, that would be great. Thank you to everyone at Larian,I'm not a young guy and this has given me a lot of happy hours, which at my age is something special. biggrin

Last edited by DocSmith59; 17/10/12 09:10 PM.
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
No really, you must have missed a lot of things to be done both Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance in 45 hours. I know where everything is (part of that was form beating Ego Draconis 3 times before DKS came out), so I didn't need to wander around looking aimlessly, and it takes me about 60 hours per playthrough.

Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Stabbey
No really, you must have missed a lot of things to be done both Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance in 45 hours. I know where everything is (part of that was form beating Ego Draconis 3 times before DKS came out), so I didn't need to wander around looking aimlessly, and it takes me about 60 hours per playthrough.


Well unfortunately I have no idea how to prove it to you beyond the fact that I'm only missing maybe five secret achievements. Ask me and let's see if I've done it or not? smile

My next playthrough would likely be much shorter as well because I'd be skipping through most of the dialogue having read and heard it before.

The thing is that however you cut it, there's much less than 100+ hours of content I see marketed everywhere.

Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope

Well unfortunately I have no idea how to prove it to you beyond the fact that I'm only missing maybe five secret achievements. Ask me and let's see if I've done it or not? smile




Do you know ... you can having a "free fall" without becoming a dragon yet ?
Do you know ... how to let appear the Amulet of Slantwig ?
Do you know ... finding & killing a Green Chicken you summon a Spider level 22 ? :hihi:
Do you know ... a dungeon where two sisters are in discussion with eachother ?
Do you know ... the password of the teleporter in Broken Valley, nearby the Chapel Scrine and their is another teleporter too ?
Do you know ... how to open the dungeon that is on the right side of the Chapel in Broken Valley Village ?
Just a small part of the many secrets ...

You really found all the secrets ?
I haven't fount all the achievements, Xbox version and still wonder which secret achievement I have to find, but I believe they're part of the add-on FoV I haven't played much because I always start again in Farglow with another hero grin ...

Conclusion:
Like I always say:
As long as you've Fun playing a game
You've reason to be happy,
No matter the way You play,
It's of course for nobody the same !


On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Joram
Do you know ... you can having a "free fall" without becoming a dragon yet ?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean :p
Quote
Do you know ... how to let appear the Amulet of Slantwig ?

I do now, after looking it up but I never did that. I did, however, get the blood echelon shield from Naberius' Storage.
Quote
Do you know ... finding & killing a Green Chicken you summon a Spider level 22 ? :hihi:

Nope, I didn't know that.
Quote
Do you know ... a dungeon where two sisters are in discussion with eachother ?

Yes smile
Quote
Do you know ... the password of the teleporter in Broken Valley, nearby the Chapel Scrine and their is another teleporter too ?

This is the Bellegar one for Naberius' Storage? Then yes :p
Quote
Do you know ... how to open the dungeon that is on the right side of the Chapel in Broken Valley Village ?

This is the one to get to the Amulet of Slantwig? I was in there but as I say, never got the amulet :p

Quote
Just a small part of the many secrets ...


You really found all the secrets ?
I haven't fount all the achievements, Xbox version and still wonder which secret achievement I have to find, but I believe they're part of the add-on FoV I haven't played much because I always start again in Farglow with another hero grin ...

As I say, in my achievement list I'm missing about five "secret achievements." So I'm obviously missing some of the less obvious ones frown

Quote
Conclusion:
Like I always say:
As long as you've Fun playing a game
You've reason to be happy,
No matter the way You play,
It's of course for nobody the same !


I completely agree. Gaming is all about having fun and enjoying the experience and that is something Divinity 2 completely lives up to.

Which is precisely why I wish there was far more to it--I didn't want it to come to an end so quickly. But I loved it, and that's the important thing smile

Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Do you remember running to the Maxos Temple area (coming from the field where Lovis Tower is) a man named Bellegar appeared ? And what happened after he said his poetry words ?
But this only happens if you met Sosostra and let her read your future in the palm of your hand for 50 gold coins a few times ! wink

The Amulet of Slantwig with a skillboost +1 point to Rush Attack you can let appear in the dungeon right next to the Chapel Scrine . A book you can find there is called "Elvish Tales" & tells you more about the Amulet of Slantwig . But only after finding other Amulets and using one of them (Amulet of the East, West or South).

The dungeon nearby the Chapel in Broken Valley Village you only can go in IF you spare the drunken Seekers in the Black Boar Inn so you can persuade one of them in the Barracks afterwards so he tells you a "secret" about Louis ... love this dungeon, nice atmosphere with a secret room to discover !

Never seen a Level 22 Spider ?!?
LOL ... this was a "secret" joke of my ... I specially placed a " :hihi: " emoticon behind this "Do you know ..." wink

Have Fun with DKS ..
It's an Amazing Gem !







On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by Joram
Do you know ... a dungeon where two sisters are in discussion with eachother ?

Hmm, that one doesn't ring a bell. I'll probably kick myself when you say it, but where is it?

Edit: oh, just remembered:
the two sisters vying for Laiken's favour.


Originally Posted by Joram
Do you know ... the password of the teleporter in Broken Valley, nearby the Chapel Scrine and their is another teleporter too ?

I only just discovered the other teleporter on this play-through! And I thought I'd been over every inch of Broken Valley.

I also only recently discovered I can jump higher if I do backflips, which aids some further mostly pointless climbing-based exploration. Sadly, still unable to find my way to that frustratingly inaccessible chest sitting in the archway on Sentinel Island!

Last edited by Vometia; 18/10/12 12:47 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Hey Vometia,
I strongly believe the chest you mentioned on Sentinel Island is also accessible after you take over the Battle Tower ! You can fly as a dragon and don't be afraid of landing on all possible places that are "higher" walking on Sentinel Island in humanform earlier on !

If a place is ful of poisonous gaz I always fast run/jump and then immediately transform back into dragonform .

Good luck & enjoy your DKS time !


On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Jan 2012
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jan 2012
In my second playthrough I discovered a lot of stuff I overlooked the first time, like the area under the Miller's house and the location of the Doctor who cures Eugene/Clyde, the quest involving Sir Robin, Bellegar's "moral choices" cave, and a lot more. I also accidentally killed the chicken that NPC in Broken Valley got soul-forged with, which was kind of funny.I checked a few walkthroughs just to make sure I'd picked up all the quests, but there are a few things the walkthroughs don't include as quests, like the 3 sleepers. I also found that there are areas you can swim to around Sentinel Island and gather a lot of loot if you can deal with the wyverns.

But I see from some of the responses here that there may still be a few things I missed, so all the more reason to do another playthrough sometime. I don't think anyone can really say they've done it all, achievements or not, who hasn't actually played it quite a few times because how would you know ? It isn't all contained in the walkthroughs or in lists of achievements.

But mostly I think it's a difference of approach. It isn't supposed to be a competitive kind of game with online leadaerboards for best speed run through Orobas Fjords. On hard difficulty I got slowed down a lot by a few annoying boss fights, like Raze, and also because I experimented with my character. The only skill I increased past five was fireball and I only increased that to ten. And none of my weapons did more than around 350 damage. I felt that the game was not tactical enough in a lot of ways which seemed unusual for the kind of game it is, and there are other balance issues. So I made changes to make the combat more tactically challenging and tried to make my character more versatile to see if the game would support that, and it does, and that really made for some great battles, particularly the final battles in both ED and FoV.

But it all takes a lot longer than if you have level 15 fireball, Magic Missile, etc., and weapons that do great damage and that's how I eventually end up with a little over 100 hours in the base game, by experimenting then going back and making changes if things don't work out. I could still go back to any key point in may last playthrough and make any number of changes, or just start all over again from scratch.

So that's the difference between the two points of view here. There are obvious ways you can beat it fairly quickly, but I see it more as an interesting system that you can play around with and experiment with a lot and get a very different experience every time. It's up to the individual how he/she wants to play it. I don't really care about achivements, I'm more interested in exploring the overall design of the game, and what that tells me about the mindset of the people who made it.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Vometia
Sadly, still unable to find my way to that frustratingly inaccessible chest sitting in the archway on Sentinel Island!


From DKS - Chest on Sentinel Island

Originally Posted by SauronSLO
I finally found the way to the chest. It's nothing special inside.

http://www.shrani.si/f/2V/7G/2W7WqDBK/waytothechest.jpg

Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
That's something else I didn't know, along with the idea that you can kill Markthum and change back into a Dragon to kill the DTP. But it shouldn't be a surprise that there's nothing worthwhile in a chest. Nearly all the chests are only random loot if generic quality.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Nicou, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5