Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Macbeth #457960 25/09/12 09:42 PM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
I'd like to, but I need my money for a new grapjhics card. I'm at least happy that I've found out that my gaming PC has onboard graphics, too. wink smile

But apart from that - I think that Broken Sword 5 would have a slightly higher priority for me ... wink I'm still an adventure player by heart. smile

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Have you played The Whispered World and Deponia?

They're on my wish list.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Macbeth #457964 26/09/12 01:15 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Macbeth
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
If you answer [to] the "annual GOG survey", until September, 17th, 2012, then you can get the first two Realms Of Arcania games for free !

Got my gift voucher yesterday! smile

Anybody else backing Project Eternity by the way?

Backing, no. Enthusiastically cheerleading, absolutely! It looks like it will be an amazing game.

Please click the banner...
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Fair enough! I'm excited about it too!
Sure, I’m working on DOS, but it will be refreshing to play another old school game where I haven’t designed the quests or written the dialogs myself. Tends to spoil the surprise! wink

I am in blood
Macbeth #457975 27/09/12 11:59 AM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
Have you played The Whispered World and Deponia?

They're on my wish list.

Not yet. Deponia is said to be fun, but "too short". But that's what the press is saying very often nowadays (Ankh comes to my mind wink ).

I'm trying to track down an original version of The Whispered World with the dice included.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Macbeth #457977 27/09/12 04:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Fair enough! I'm excited about it too!
Sure, I’m working on DOS, but it will be refreshing to play another old school game where I haven’t designed the quests or written the dialogs myself. Tends to spoil the surprise! wink

Would certainly lack the excitement of first discovery, yeah! laugh

Also - congrats on the writing job! I'm probably the last person to say that, but better late than never, right? laugh

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
grin Cheers!

To think I've been at Larian since november 2007... Tempus fugit, as the Romans would say!

I am in blood
Macbeth #457987 28/09/12 10:20 AM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
A discussion ... on translations as well ! : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18129

Recommended for all Larian people ! wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Macbeth #457998 28/09/12 07:57 PM
veteran
veteran
grin Cheers!

To think I've been at Larian since november 2007... Tempus fugit, as the Romans would say!

Nearly five years! Ye gods! It seems like yesterday when we were all so proud of you for getting a job there!

Tempus fugit indeed!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
A discussion ... on translations as well ! : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18129

Recommended for all Larian people ! wink

Interesting. Thanks, Alrik smile

I have to admit my own view on translations in games is nearly totally the opposite of my view with films.

I like films in the original language, whatever that may be. Sub-titled, of course, so I can follow them. To the point where I actively avoid dubbed films. I find them annoying.

With games, I prefer to have everything in my native tongue (IE English) because I have to interact with it. So I can completely understand why anyone would want games in THEIR language.

That said, I do play the fan-made Broken Sword 2.5 in German with English sub-titles, because I think the German voice actor is so much better. It's the only real exception, though. It's also a lot easier with Adventure Games than the more action-oriented genres, of course.

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
I found the voice actor of "Despictable Me" so much better - I found that the English one didn't fit in with statue, body, and cliché at all. Just take a look at this, the moments where Gru speaks (1:23) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6dumLNUCX8&feature=related

--Dilbert cartoon

A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
How to play Skyrim, featuring an INSANELY IMMERSIVE UI ... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbQQzePzt4

--Dilbert cartoon

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Ha! Hilarious ... and very well done!

I am in blood
Macbeth #459076 13/11/12 07:21 PM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
^ That's brilliant! Great find, Alrik! laugh

old hand
old hand
Revealing armour is ridiculous when it's for titillating purposes only, i.e. when it's for women only while men do wear full plate.

If revealing armour is internally consistent with the setting, like in Hyborian Age (where men tend to fight with bare torso), I have no problem with it.

The opposite of coin are settings where both men and women wear ridiculously big and elaborate armour, like World of Warcraft and Warhammer.

virumor #459189 15/11/12 04:30 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by virumor
The opposite of coin are settings where both men and women wear ridiculously big and elaborate armour, like World of Warcraft and Warhammer.

Then you have things like spiky armour, that looks like it'd cause its owner an injury when they tried putting it on, and stylised armour that doesn't quite work, such as Skyrim's elven armour which seems to have borrowed its shoulder pads from Warhammer (why do I keep wanting to type "Warhamster"?) I spent quite some time trying to reduce them to a slightly more sane proportion.

Also swords with loads of pointy bits and bat wings: I like my swords to look like, well, swords, not some something that's half cutlery, half demon.

Without wishing to sound too fangirly, Divinity gets away with some of these things more than other games because it doesn't take itself too seriously, but when it's a game that's all "serious business", it's a bit much.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #459194 15/11/12 04:39 PM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
A few pages ago I has posted a link towards a try of an historical accurate view on women's armor.

Edit : I liked the various Drakensang Armor types, but then, it's already TDE, so it was set by the background anyway ...

Currently I'm playing DDO relatively often, and the armor there doesn't look bad, either, imho.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 15/11/12 04:41 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

old hand
old hand
Amazon armour in Drakensang was quite "revealing" - but also realistic, based on ancient Greek armours.

Not to mention the Amazons used big shields and their combat style was focused more on speed and agility (they were also famed for archery & mounted combat).

virumor #459224 16/11/12 04:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Have to agree with Virumor that a lot of it does depend on setting. Man in loincloth, woman in bikini is at least consistent, so no problem there.

But - like the rest of you - I find the old 'chainmail bikini' to be ludicrous in a pseudo-medieval setting. I prefer my female characters to look like they are actually armoured to survive, not out looking for customers in the local red light district.

Magic can excuse a lot, but why on Earth would any self respecting female character look at the local male Paladin in head to toe steel plate and say, "Nah. That wouldn't show off my boobs. Or my belly. Or my legs! I want something that makes it REALLY easy to hit every vulnerable spot I have!"

I know they are alternate universes, but I can't imagine any feasible world quite THAT alternate!

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard