Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I fucking love this game, and will probably replay it and take the other decision, but I'm just curious about one thing.

I went with Belegar's recommendation, and didn't free Behrlin. I ended up fighting Ygerna, but I didn't fight Damian.

It was implied that he would die when she did, as opposed to the opposite, which we had originally believed. But it still felt kind of unresolved.

This is pretty much my only gripe with this game, I loved everything else

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I just being silly and forgetting something?

To be mocked so many times by that pompous asshole, then not get to smash his skull was a bit of a disappointment

Last edited by Telepathybot; 01/03/13 12:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
Damian didn't die after Ygerna was killed. He'll have to be dealt with in Divinity 3.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for confirming. That's kind of a let-down though. All that just to kill his sidekick

Yes, I also got a bit surprised when Damian didn't show his face at the end of FoV. On the other hand, eventually, I liked the idea. Both Divinity 2 endings have this characteristic tone on them; they are both unexpected endings -all right, maybe FoV was more a classic victory than ED, but it was surprising anyway.

veteran
veteran
After hearing the title of the expansion - Flames of Vengeance - I was not expecting Damian to show up, I was quite confident that Ygerna would be the final boss, for she was the one who the Dragon Knight most desired to wreak vengeance on.

Yes, I was sure that the fight with Ygerna would take place. Hell, I'm sure almost every ED player who reached the ending wished for this fight hahaha But, at the same time, I thought Damian would show up as the real end boss or something.

Anyway, I didn't felt disappointed. By the time I reached the end I was deeply in love with FoV ^_^ I really like the expansion, and the general idea of it, as much as the final choice you are forced to take.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have no problems with killing the sidekick for an expansion. I was frustrated by the ending cutscene. Everyone happy, cheering, laughing, hurray the divine lives again, bla bla bla
It was exactly the opposite of the end cutscene of Ego Draconis.

Instead we should have ended at a cliffhanger once more: Damian preparing his troops, the Divine preparing his, the dragon knight his, ... just without the 'lock the protagonist' thing.

Perhaps that's where I begin to understand the ending of ED : they DID end at a cliffhanger there, the public just did not enjoy the protagonist being locked away. That's where ED differs from Mass Effect. And it would be pretty pathetic to have FOV end with the same cliffhanger cutscene as ED, apart from the Divine and dragon knight being free. So they just filled it up with flowers and parties and pink ponies and white pussies.

By the way, I enjoyed the ED ending so hard, thinking about all those angry fans that'd cause ... Hilarious!

veteran
veteran
After seeing the ending of Ego Draconis, where it was revealed that the Divine One was in fact still alive, it seemed only too appropriate that the Dragon Knight only take down Ygerna.

Damian's anger is directed towards the Divine, he didn't really care much about the Dragon Knight - that's made most notable in the scene in the Battle Tower - with Zandalor there, he focused on him and ignored the Dragon Knight.

But Ygerna, that is who the Dragon Knight has the grudge against. Ygerna is the one who was in the DK's head all game long, talking to them, guiding them, lying to them. Ygerna is the one who manipulated and betrayed the Dragon Knight, and so it is most fitting that Ygerna is the climactic battle of the Dragon Knight's story.

Yes, Damian is still out there. But the Divine is back as well, and Damian is the Divine's mistake to deal with. It's only fitting for the Divine to play a major part (if not the leading part) in the defeat of Damian.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Yes, But lets not forget, it was dragon knight who finaly killed Ygerna.
So Damian should at least be pretty angry at our DK.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard