Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#461548 29/03/13 10:41 PM
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
I've noticed in most screenshots that the environments are covered with a uniform greenish tint which removes a lot of contrast, it's not looking very good.

Here's an attempt at fixing this (wait a bit for the comparison animation to load) :

[Linked Image]

I guess it's due to your fog settings and could be fixed by setting it to start much further and change its color to some some slight clear blue.
IMO, this is something you should definitely spend time on because it's probably a small change but the effect is dramatic.
Edit: If you find the "fixed" versions too "cartoony", please read this post below.

Another thing :
I really miss the richly decorated interface of the first Divinity, it was beautiful and memorable. Whereas this new interface you have is too minimalistic and plastic-looking to have an emotional impact on me. It's not really detracting from the game's atmosphere, but it's not adding anything to it.
Any chance you will change this ?

Last edited by Xodetaetl; 30/03/13 10:54 AM.
Xodetaetl #461549 29/03/13 11:09 PM
Support
Support

The lighting, etc has not been finalized. I'm not sure if Larian has put a lot of attention into refining that yet.

The interface will definitely change. Most of the UI is just place-holder artwork for now.

Raze #461551 29/03/13 11:25 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
With the exception of clutter in the storage chests, I loved the UI of Divine Divinity. I also think the color saturation needs some tweaking as right now it's looking a bit like Torchlight, which is not a good thing...

Last edited by slimgrin; 29/03/13 11:42 PM.
Raze #461552 29/03/13 11:28 PM
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
Indeed there is hope for the UI since Divinity II had a nice one. If it's placeholder then no reason they won't do something with more personality.

As for the tinting/fog and other lighting issues, I'm much more dubious they would fix it if no one pointed it out to them, it's in fact a very recurring problem in 3D games. Skyrim is a prominent example and Divinity II is the worse I've seen with its washed out green/yellow tints and excessive fog everywhere.

Last edited by Xodetaetl; 29/03/13 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Xodetaetl #461553 29/03/13 11:49 PM
Support
Support

People have brought up the graphics before. Actually, before E3 last year the screenshots were a little more cartoony, since the lighting had not been touched; they only made some preliminary adjustments for game version they used at E3, but that did help.
Of course it can't hurt to bring it up again for each new batch of screenshots or videos, if the issues persist.

Raze #461554 29/03/13 11:59 PM
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
Yes I've seen they toned down the color saturation since last year's screenshots but the issues I point out here aren't the same and it's there in every piece of gameplay footage in the kickstarter video.

Xodetaetl #461559 30/03/13 07:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ForkTong
I'll just acknowledge: the UI is stub. Especially the mana/health balls left and right...

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=459499#Post459499

Originally Posted by Xodetaetl
Yes I've seen they toned down the color saturation since last year's screenshots but the issues I point out here aren't the same and it's there in every piece of gameplay footage in the kickstarter video.

That's because there were other people, beside you, who complained on this with EXACTLY opposite point - the graphics were too bright, colorful, etc.

How do we please everyone? Options. Loads of them. On and OFF On and OFF. That's why Kickstarter exist.

Last edited by Kein; 30/03/13 07:12 AM.
Letiliel #461565 30/03/13 10:47 AM
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
Originally Posted by Kein
That's because there were other people, beside you, who complained on this with EXACTLY opposite point - the graphics were too bright, colorful, etc.
No you misunderstand my point: I'm pointing out the greenish tint and lack of contrast. Aside of this, I'm *not* against darker and less saturated colors than what I came up with on my "fixed" shots after getting rid of the "abnormal" greenish veil. I loved the dark tone of Divinity 1, but dark doesn't mean greenish and uncontrasted.

Now, it'd be really neat to have a color saturation slider in the options. That would be a premiere in video games and would probably solve the dark colors vs cartoon colors debate.
Edit: I envision this slider with three marked positions: grim, natural, vivid.

Last edited by Xodetaetl; 30/03/13 12:01 PM.
Xodetaetl #461566 30/03/13 12:11 PM
veteran
veteran
If you hover your mouse over a character portrait in combat I'd like to see a list of all the status effects that character is under (Burning, Electrified, etc...) and what effect/damage they're doing per turn.

Stabbey #461567 30/03/13 12:19 PM
old hand
old hand
Stabbey: that's in. What damage they do, resistances, etc, is only listed if you "know" them (by having high int or perception, or by fighting that type of enemy often).

I personally like the "fixed" images Xodetaetl made, esp in the first 2 screenshots...

Tweeting @forktong
ForkTong #461568 30/03/13 12:49 PM
veteran
veteran
That's good. I actually was thinking of "when you hover your mouse over your OWN character portraits you see that", but seeing the enemy information as well is also great.

Xodetaetl #461575 30/03/13 03:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xodetaetl
Originally Posted by Kein
No you misunderstand my point: [...]

I did not. Your point is crystal clear (no pun intended, heh), I just pointed out the fact why there is such fluctuations with visuals in the game.

ForkTong #461582 30/03/13 04:42 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Stabbey: that's in. What damage they do, resistances, etc, is only listed if you "know" them (by having high int or perception, or by fighting that type of enemy often).

Very cool.

So is providing an option for a filter to tone down color unreasonable? I'm not a programmer so I can't say whether or not it'd be a pain in the ass to implement.

Last edited by slimgrin; 30/03/13 04:44 PM.
slimgrin #461584 30/03/13 05:26 PM
I just want to comment on how lucky Larian is to have such fans.

Others will just give their criticism without any demonstration on how to fix it.

ForkTong #461591 30/03/13 09:15 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N

I personally like the "fixed" images Xodetaetl made, esp in the first 2 screenshots...

I really hope that means you guys are going to go with the "fixed" version hehe. Would love to see a short video of the change. :P

Nightblaze1 #461604 31/03/13 10:52 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I really like the "fixed" versions here too and agree with Xodetaetl. Divine Divinity is still one of the prettiest RPGs out there, the colour of the land on the first map is so rich. The graphics really haven't dated and I'd love to play more games that look like that so hopefully the colours and contrast things that Xodetaetl raised will be taken into account.

moktira #461612 31/03/13 01:04 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm really confused about broken and fixed version. I have a version from gog but I downloaded it quite some time ago; is there a way to tell me if it is fixed or broken or were all gog versions broken ? I thought the wide screen stuff was added and then the version with widescreen was made available on gog; so did it break after that upload? also is the steam version also broken ?

meme #461615 31/03/13 01:14 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm sorry? D:OS isn't out yet, how did you download it from GOG?

Kein #461616 31/03/13 01:20 PM
veteran
veteran
I think he means Divine Divinity.

Stabbey #461618 31/03/13 01:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Correct. I took 'fixed' version to be referenced to divine divinity since there was a long thread on it on kickstart page; but i think I should have gone back and read the first page and realize that fixed was in reference to the graphics and not DD...

my confusion.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I think he means Divine Divinity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard