Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Support
Support
Originally Posted by meme
Actually to be more accurate Grim Dawn started with a pre-order on their site a year or two before the kickstart campaign

Thanks for the correction. Apparently I was a little late to the party on that one. biggrin
Actually, I only heard about Grim Dawn when someone from that forum PMed me here about a topic there after the announcement of D:OS. I've since bought Titan Quest, but haven't tried it yet.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The most I can afford is around $20, but I feel it's important to give something. Good luck with this Larian!

stranger
stranger
Backed for 65$. Good luck, Larian!

veteran
veteran
KICKSTARTER UPDATE #02 - REVIEW MEETING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcDz8Y06-w

veteran
veteran
I REALLY don't like these dialogues with keywords. They look so... cheap?

Glad you've decided to fund Original Sin this way! ^_^

I've just backed 35$, and I sincerely hope you reach the 400 k mark! The game looks awesome.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kein
KICKSTARTER UPDATE #02 - REVIEW MEETING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcDz8Y06-w

In this review Swen mentioned that the team isn't big enough to do NPC schedules right now, "only" normal, limited scripting.

So this is something for Larian: if the game will reach the goal on Kickstarter, are the resources (money) then available to build more complex schedules for majority / each NPC?

I think the team, which did the Ultima VII schedules wasn't as big aswell, but they managed it somehow. It would be great if Larian can do the same!

Another thing Swen noticed in this review is the background information / story behind each NPC. There it would be also great to "fill" empty/flat characters, give them more life than in other RPGs these days.

X
stranger
stranger
X
Agreed, I don't either and a lot of (prob. most) people don't like keyword "dialogs". InXile have been trashed for this when they showed their first gameplay vid, we didn't expect they'd keep this aspect of the first Wasteland.

Last edited by Xodetaetl; 30/03/13 04:23 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Same here, kinda smirk

Although I doubt being cheap is the reasoning behind this...Care to elaborate on this choice, Lar? Is it stub?

Also, are all the death animations like musquitos being squashed? :P Right now they all just explode in a bloody mess upon impact it seems.

Last edited by Rod Lightning; 30/03/13 04:42 PM.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree, but I have confidence this will be fixed at realease.

This video is a beautiful example of how you can have so much (graphics, gameplay, environments, dialogs) and yet so little.

Something entirely else, I found the The Roleplaying Strategist (get a digital DC copy) a tough choice to make, since, when looking at the picture description, this one doesn't contain soundtracks. So that I posted on the forum 'hey will it be possible to get the soundtracks through Larian vault?'. I don't believe anyone payed any attention to it. But now that I read the description of it it reads you DO get the soundtrack.

That's a contradiction, a paradox, an ambiguity, a non-match, ... !

So the question is really simple now, should I believe the picture or should I believe the description? I did'nt fund yet so convince me to add these $65 instead of $50 please!

veteran
veteran
I admit that I'm also not a big fan of the single word dialogues. I loved all the snarky replies from Divinity 2, they really added a lot.

I'll understand if the keyword based dialogues stays in the game, though.

journeyman
journeyman
("Hello World", my first post on this forum though I follow it since Divinity 2 is out. I thought the time was good for it smile )

I must say Original Sin is the game I expect the most at the moment, but I agree keyword-dialogs is honestly quite bad imo (I simply can't remember a single keyword-based game I enjoyed as much as a full-text one). Most of the fun I got in previous Divinity games was from the overall great quality of the writing, and from some 'spicy' dialogs. I at first glance thought those were place-holders for 'to-be-written/improved' dialogs, but as I see them still now, I'm somewhat afraid. Ya, afraid, as it's the only thing that doesn't trigger that 'whoaaa' thing in me about OS so far laugh.

Still, if you choose to keep with that, I'll be sad but I'll keep supporting you no matter what wink Gratz for the already more than half funded Kick.

X
stranger
stranger
X
The keyword system isn't used everywhere though. Perhaps the compromise is fine.
If the cost of making it all full sentences isn't too high, this could be a good, motivating stretch goal. smile

old hand
old hand
Yes, well, it's not like we didn't expect flak for the keywords. It's not even a cost issue, it's really about the amount of topics in the game - there's really a lot and if we put them as a questions, you get very large walls of text. (And you get character put in the way of questioning, because if we'd add several options for that too, then you'd a bible of text for each dialog)

We planned on testing the keywords in alpha and see how they went down - if it turns out everybody hates it, we'll adapt. But in the same breath I have to add - we had keyword haters play the game and come back to admit that actually, it worked quite well for them.

To be continued, for sure.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
So the question is really simple now, should I believe the picture or should I believe the description?

In the next few days the tiers are going to be adjusted a bit, and a chart made to make it clearer what exactly is in each tier (and make them easier to compare). The main page graphics will also be updated (the descriptions of the tiers on the right side of the kickstarter page can not be changed once anyone backs a tier).

old hand
old hand
I seriously can't wait for this game. It's going to be awesome. Pre-order for sure (which I have said from the start).

Last edited by Demonic; 31/03/13 06:49 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I also can't wait for this game, it's been a long time since I've been so excited about an upcoming game.

I don't mind the keywords, I think I saw one of them as "Shipwreck" which I thought was amusing, I could have misread it though. Though I mostly roleplay rather than kill everything, I find I normally only glance at my character's responses so don't want walls of text there.

I have a question about the combat though, while Swen is fighting that bandit in the ruins he asks David for help and he runs in, if they were much further apart could Swen just wait until David arrives and not do anything as it's turn-based or is there a time limit? I presume there is a time limit where if you do nothing for a certain amount of time the enemy will attack again?

veteran
veteran
UPDATE #3

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/441579

"Hey wait a minute... That's not even a real update."

It's a FAQ... An easy-to-link-to FAQ... Containing a big part of all the answers and information we have been giving in the comments section.

There have been many questions about stats and skills and weapons as well, but we'd like to dedicate an update to that, instead of having one very long answer in this one smile

Will this have DRM?

No. The box version will not have DRM. The GOG.com version and the version of larianvault.com will not have DRM. The Steam version will not have keys to fill in or forms to fill out.

What is the status on Mac and Linux?

Linix and Mac is something that was planned from the start. This is our engine, so we can do with it what we want. It had build targets for OpenGL (the graphics renderer on Mac and Linux) that actually worked at some point, but along the way we decided to postpone that support and focus on gameplay.

We are still going to do this, but probably after the Windows version is finished.

All the owners of Divinity: Original Sin, however, will receive these versions for free.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by moktira

I have a question about the combat though, while Swen is fighting that bandit in the ruins he asks David for help and he runs in, if they were much further apart could Swen just wait until David arrives and not do anything as it's turn-based or is there a time limit? I presume there is a time limit where if you do nothing for a certain amount of time the enemy will attack again?

Good question!

old hand
old hand
The comments on kickstart is impossible to follow; so I thought I would post here. One comment I had on the video (esp the second one) is that while you discuss much that needs to be done with the game the bridge between what remains to be done and what the kickstart was funding was not crossed. I honestly do not know how the public perceived the video but I felt that a closing statement along the lines of "this is why we have turned to kickstart; so that we can fund ..." might put a bit emphasis with regards to the need for kickstart. Now in all truth some of this might be a white lie as some of the things that remain are already funded or intended.
-
keywords - hum. I'm not sure; really hard to tell from the videos.
realisim - well i know the corpses aren't done from your comment in the video; but i wonder if after a few days they will begin to emit a foul smell; and if after a month or two bones will begin to be visible as well as dog bites. Well lets not go too far.... but lets go a bit farther than has been gone.
-
Picture on the box - no matter what you do there will always be a few that object. Yes there are people - feminist - who view skimpy outfits as sexist in the sense that they are 'sex' objects and on the basis of principal they will object to anything that shows a lovely lass showing a bit of skin. This is not a judgement call as to whether they should or should not object but a partial explanation (though I think it would be better for them to explain then some third party). Conversely showing a bit of skin will attract a certain segment of the population so it is a win-loose proposition and I cannot really comment on the morality or business side which is better or worse. Just too many people who too many opinions.

Last edited by meme; 31/03/13 12:55 PM.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard