enthusiast
we're so hardcore *hihi*

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
veteran
veteran
Hardcore?

No, I'm not hardcore at all ...! No ? think

I simply like it the game do NOT hold your hand ! It's simple as that and the devs of Larian Studios knowing that exactly ! I'm very pleased in D:OS NO "?" or "!" - mark will hanging above a NPC's head !
I must admit I was almost shocked to see such "?" or "!" in Divnity II: DKS !! I hope they do that NEVER again, never !! It's stupid, ugly, etc ... !

I'm sure there will be enough IN-game information about what each stat does via "hover mouse over" a name of stat ... like in Divine Divinity. It's crystal clear in first sight, althougth in the background it contains more difficult mathematics, but to have 100% fun to play the game you don't need to know that wink ...
Then it's up to you to play and have fun and if you love to make a whole study of all the mathematics behind the stats, feel free and start your investigations ! biggrin
I myself have lots of fun + I always automatically start to make notes while playing, or make a drawing, a tabel of ... etc, and so I learn about stats, skills, ....

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Joram
Hardcore?

I simply like it the game do NOT hold your hand ! It's simple as that and the devs of Larian Studios knowing that exactly ! I'm very pleased in D:OS NO "?" or "!" - mark will hanging above a NPC's head !
I must admit I was almost shocked to see such "?" or "!" in Divnity II: DKS !! I hope they do that NEVER again, never !! It's stupid, ugly, etc ... !

I'm sure there will be enough IN-game information about what each stat does via "hover mouse over" a name of stat ... like in Divine Divinity. It's crystal clear in first sight, althougth in the background it contains more difficult mathematics, but to have 100% fun to play the game you don't need to know that wink ...
Then it's up to you to play and have fun and if you love to make a whole study of all the mathematics behind the stats, feel free and start your investigations ! biggrin
I myself have lots of fun + I always automatically start to make notes while playing, or make a drawing, a tabel of ... etc, and so I learn about stats, skills, ....

I thought it wasn't clear *at all* in Divine Divinity, my first instinct with the in-game descriptions was to raise int and con as wizard and ignore the rest. Apparently that's a really really bad idea and you need to raise all stats, except con...

That's the problem with those stats, they do *sort of* the same thing in all RPGs but whether or not a certain stat is *useful* to the class/build you are playing depends heavily on the rest of the game, information you will more than likely not have when starting your first playthrough. Information like "do I need str/agi to be able to wear armor", "*can* I, as wizard, even *wear* armor without impairing my spellcasting".

If a game has some auto-distribute points feature I tend to use that early on just to see where the game thinks I should spend my points for a certain archetype, I won't necessarily follow this recommendation (and certainly not blindly), this tends to give me a pretty good indication about the game mechanics without having to actually have played the game (and having to start over after making a build that totally does not work, like I had to do in D2:DKS) or using a search engine.

Obviously all depends on how fast the game moves (iow, how far in you are before you figure out you've messed up and have to start over) and how easy it is to compensate for mistakes. For example having a party in my experience always makes it easier to compensate for a sub-optimal character compared to only having your single PC.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hardcore?

I simply like it the game do NOT hold your hand ! It's simple as that and the devs of Larian Studios knowing that exactly !

this is what is being called hardcore by a lot of gamers (i actually do not concur)..I am a hardcore pc gamer,that's true..maybe because of the kind of games i play,superior hardware..but i don't know whether I'ld consider myself a hc rpg gamer just because I find it riduculous to auto-assign stat points when Role Playing, thus creating a character of your liking smile so maybe yes xD

and oh I loved the way it was handled in all divinities, with the hover.. horsey

Last edited by dwelfusius; 10/04/13 06:36 PM.

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dwelfusius
Hardcore?

I simply like it the game do NOT hold your hand ! It's simple as that and the devs of Larian Studios knowing that exactly !

this is what is being called hardcore by a lot of gamers (i actually do not concur)..I am a hardcore pc gamer,that's true..maybe because of the kind of games i play,superior hardware..but i don't know whether I'ld consider myself a hc rpg gamer just because I find it riduculous to auto-assign stat points when Role Playing, thus creating a character of your liking smile so maybe yes xD

and oh I loved the way it was handled in all divinities, with the hover.. horsey

Hate to break it to you, but the fact that you're supporting an RPG with turn based combat already pretty solidly puts you into the hardcore segment nowadays wink

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
veteran
veteran
I REALLY HOPE ... the devs of Larian do NO make such "auto-assings button" for stats ! evil

I never had any problems with DD or DKS maked a build that totally doesn't work ! NEVER !

In DD I can think logical playing a Mage : int all the way. And a little bit of agility & strength if I wish to wear gear that required an amount of one of this two stats. What's the problem ?
DKS is even easier because no dex or str required to equip gear, just level-required gear, but that's crystal clear, you know your current level ...

Okay: maybe you make mistakes (I do often playing a rpg!!) investing in some "wrong" statpoints (or skillpoints)? >> That's Roleplaying AT ITS BEST ! smile
(but you can be "screw-up your gameplay" and RELOAD an earlier savegame to start over a few levels because of mistakes ...)
And don't forget: it's my opinion about roleplaying ! Do what you wish to do, but don't say I didn't warn you evil

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
For me it really depends on how well documented the mechanics are. If its based on a well known rpg (like dnd) I'll manually assign 100%. If the dev documents exactly what is going on behind the scenes I manually assign almost 100%. If they are really vague about how the mechanics work I'll sometimes hit auto and maybe change a thing or two.

apprentice
apprentice
Never. I always level manually, at least if I use that member.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Never use it for my primary character.

However, if I have the option to control the stat distribution for party characters(if any), then I usually use the Auto-Assign button.

stranger
stranger
I never use it for any of my characters.

When i play a game, i made plan for my character and the game can't know what plan i have for them.

stranger
stranger
I probalby won´t use the feature. If it´s not too much of work to implement the button as optional choice, it would not do the game bad either. RPG-novices and casual game may be more inclined to buy the game if such a feature is available.

stranger
stranger
I like to assign my own stats as much as possible so I wouldn't use it if offered however I do know that casual gamers just want to play and would use it if it was a feature.

If you make it a feature please allow us to still go the manual route. Cover your bases. up

Growing older is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.
G
stranger
stranger
G
For my main char, No, but I have used it for games that had companions like Mass Effect 3.

I have to go with the "not on my own character, but maybe on others" crowd. My reason for this is that if a character has a background, personality, story, etc. I like to see him evolve completely consistent with that, without my interference. I'm thinking about the companions in Fallout 1 & 2 for example. There is no manual option there, and I personally never missed it. On the other hand, when I'm playing two main characters, I wouldn't use the auto-leveling button for either.

I do like the idea that came up in previous posts, where you could have the game suggest development for certain archetypes. On the other hand, if the skills themselves are already subdivided in said categories, and, more importantly, stat contribution is clear, I would almost consider it as dumbing down the the game; I have the information that I need, and I have a brain. That should suffice. ;-)

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
addict
addict
Never.

Character development is one of the pillars of an RPG. I always build my characters myself.

I would never use an automatic stats button -maybe with companions, but definetely not with Main Characters.

As many others, I see curstomized character progression as one of the best traits in any good RPG.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm fine with it being included.

Personally, I don't use them in the RPG's that I play. I'd rather learn and build a character (with all the warts and mistakes included).

journeyman
journeyman
Eh, I kind of like buttons that suggest a point distribution I can then confirm or modify to my liking -- particularly in class-based systems and especially with companion characters --, but hate it when some awesome button does all the work for me.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
T
stranger
stranger
T
No. I would sooner use an auto-combat button.

Originally Posted by dlux
Never.

Character development is one of the pillars of an RPG. I always build my characters myself.

^This! I love character creation and planning the character, and - surprise, surprise - I love seeing that I made it suboptimal too. Actually, I want there to be heaps of ways I can "build" characters the "wrong" way. Min-maxing can be fun, but I leave that for later playthorughs. The first ones I usually go more all-in RPG-wise.

In short, I have never and will not ever use an auto-assign button, but I can easily accept that the option is there for other players.

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard