Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Not a lot of games implement these features, especially NPC schedules, and I think there is a lot of untapped potential for fun gameplay here. What are some of your ideas for fun mechanics using NPC schedules, day/night cycles, weather? I'll throw out a few to start.

- Thievery. While NPCs work during the day, their homes vulnerable. Shops close at night. Time to break in and steal that triple crossbow you were eyeing. Maybe you're feeling bold and want to pickpocket the bank vault key from the banker while they sleep. Less chance of being caught sneaking around/breaking into places at night.

- Creature behavior. Werewolves.. weresheep? only come out during full moons. Vampires sleep in their coffins during the day. Monsters emboldened by the dark and more likely to attack a village or travelers. Zombies/skeletons rise from their graves at night.

- Time-based quests. There has been a string of burglaries/thefts at night and you are tasked with apprehending the culprit. A serial killer is on the loose who leaves clues or riddles about the time/place of their next victims. You've been paid to assassinate someone and the mark is only vulnerable during a certain time of the day.

journeyman
journeyman
TIDE and EBB

Some cool secret caves that can be entered only when the sea level is low.

Full moon

Some spells work better, some books or other secrets that you can read only when it is full moon, otherwise they appear blank...

Last edited by Sawovsky; 27/04/13 09:09 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by bagelobo
Not a lot of games implement these features, especially NPC schedules, and I think there is a lot of untapped potential for fun gameplay here. What are some of your ideas for fun mechanics using NPC schedules, day/night cycles, weather? I'll throw out a few to start.

- Thievery. While NPCs work during the day, their homes vulnerable. Shops close at night. Time to break in and steal that triple crossbow you were eyeing. Maybe you're feeling bold and want to pickpocket the bank vault key from the banker while they sleep. Less chance of being caught sneaking around/breaking into places at night.

- Creature behavior. Werewolves.. weresheep? only come out during full moons. Vampires sleep in their coffins during the day. Monsters emboldened by the dark and more likely to attack a village or travelers. Zombies/skeletons rise from their graves at night.

- Time-based quests. There has been a string of burglaries/thefts at night and you are tasked with apprehending the culprit. A serial killer is on the loose who leaves clues or riddles about the time/place of their next victims. You've been paid to assassinate someone and the mark is only vulnerable during a certain time of the day.

THAT would be sweet!

Last edited by Jaesun; 27/04/13 09:08 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'll be disappointed if there isn't a quest involving a sleepwalker smile

old hand
old hand
"The weather and moons change, and influence the different schools of magic"

That is totally old-school and love it. Anything to add strategy depth to your turn-based decision.

If full moon would change all sheep into weresheep.. That would be amazing smile

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
And I personally will go to Gent and whine till they fix it.

addict
addict
Calendar

I'd love to see a full-fledged calendar system. Months, weekdays, special holidays. The best shops would only show up on market day, some events only during the weekend etc.

Players should have the option to wait a couple hours or stay at an inn for a couple of days if they need to be somewhere at a specific date or time.

Birds at Dawn

Chirp, chirp. Crickets on a hot summer night. Wolves howling in forests with full moon, hearing tavern sounds from outside in the evening, cock-a-doodle-do in the morning.

enthusiast
enthusiast
How about an ideal world. Every NPC buys and sell growing the economy. NPC quests themselves to get loots. Do day job, get salary, buy some stuff with salary. Interact with people.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"

Link Copied to Clipboard