Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
After playing some Divine Divinity this weekend....

I love the game. It's great.

But it has this one glaring flaw.

A flaw that absolutely must be rectified in Original Sin.

Please.

Please.

Please.

Please implement auto-save functionality very liberally! Let the game auto-save each time you change areas, exit combat, and/or complete a quest.

Please.

Although I am a compulsive saver myself, I can see the need for that. Just the other day over at the KS comment section, a poor fellow had lost 3 h playtime in DD, because he forgot to save.
How about 3 autosaves that keep being made at those points proposed by Arsene? smile

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
stranger
stranger
F5 is a button full of magic^^ But yes, autosave is very important. When it reduces the times you press F5 or do a normal save in the menu, it is a success.

stranger
stranger
I would agree with you on this the game really needs this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed but I think the game should just autosave when changing areas & when completing quests. I'm playing the Witcher 2 and find the autosaves are way too frequent; if anyone has played that they will know what I mean.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

stranger
stranger
I'm fine with autosave being available for those who want to use it - as long as there is also an option in the menu to switch it off.

Personally I will switch autosave off whenever I can, I would rather do my saves manually, without having to put up with the stutter and pause that autosave often creates in the game, also in my experience relying on just one save is a good way to loose all progress if that file gets corrupted.

Kickstarter memories - The Wierd
*Amanda Restless Weresheep of Sin* laugh
G
G
With the combat being as difficult as it is it might indeed be good to have a save before you enter combat so that you can reload just before if it all goes pearshaped.

WeresheepVampire of Original Sin
WoOS - https://weresheep.net/doku.php
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Heh, playing modern games I never used to save. Then I played Risen, I learned to save quite often during that. Then more modern games before stumbling into divine divinity.

I lost a good hour and a half of progress due to not saving >.> Auto saves would be nice but I've learned my lesson to save often.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Arokh
Agreed but I think the game should just autosave when changing areas & when completing quests. I'm playing the Witcher 2 and find the autosaves are way too frequent; if anyone has played that they will know what I mean.

This.

Originally Posted by Kiya-Elle
I'm fine with autosave being available for those who want to use it - as long as there is also an option in the menu to switch it off.

Personally I will switch autosave off whenever I can, I would rather do my saves manually, without having to put up with the stutter and pause that autosave often creates in the game, also in my experience relying on just one save is a good way to loose all progress if that file gets corrupted.

This.

Originally Posted by Garod
With the combat being as difficult as it is it might indeed be good to have a save before you enter combat so that you can reload just before if it all goes pearshaped.

No, before battle is not the best way for an autosave. Imagine, when reloading an autosave game, you're deadlocked on fighting a very powerful mob that you can't escape from.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
enthusiast
enthusiast
If Larian followed The Witcher 2's example and had a new save slot each time it autosaved it would be better than having a single autosave slot as it can get corrupted as Kiya-Elle pointed out.

Saving before battles is a bad idea, yes. That's why I suggest only autosaving after completing a quest or changing areas.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

apprentice
apprentice
Same as above, I don't mind an autosave option to those who need it, as long as it can be switched off. I like to save when I decide to.
If I miss a dialogue because I've chosen answer A and can't reload because of this autosave, I'd be completely pissed off. I frequently reload my game from a previous point just to read all the possible answers or explore all the possible paths.
(Personally, I've never approved this autosave feature, and don't like the idea of a forced "point of no return")

Last edited by Asyreon; 28/04/13 03:40 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A good quicksave system would be much better than autosave (the one in DD was pretty bad). Especially since there won't be many area transitions at all from the looks of it.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
journeyman
journeyman
reminds me to save more in DD, I just started and finally get to chat with Laninor.

Link Copied to Clipboard