Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#465081 28/04/13 04:28 PM
OP Offline
Now that I have the weresheep.net domain, and the KS campaign is over, I was wondering what we could do with it.

If we make a weresheep site, it obviously needs a completely different design that the current one, which I slapped together in a single evening to get something up and running to collect information on. :hihi: It could become the central place for the business of the weresheep, but I am still figuring out what that exactly means, and how we should organize it.

We obviously don't want to move any discussions about D:OS (or Larian related topics in general) to some other place than these forums right here. On the other hand we don't want to litter this place with weresheep specific stuff (weresheep meetings, events, community organization, ...). So I thought having a static web page and a wiki could be a good thing, but I'm still in the dark about adding forums for example. (I did play around with phpbb3 earlier today.)

In general, the weresheep site could be a place where information can be presented in an orderly, structured fashion, in stead of being buried in a forum. I'm thinking about fan art and mods for example. Another thing that came to mind is that we can have @weresheep.net emails, and that the server also could host something like teamspeak or so.

Anywho, I think that I'm trying to say that I want to help keep the weresheep community thriving, and I'm offering my services as some kind of sysadmin. hehe

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
stranger
stranger
Thumbs up to that. While i have no idea atm how i can be of help, i will think about it and find something to support our flock.

Though alot of people are usually hesitant to use them, there are enough 3rd party sites that let you set up a site very easily while still looking reasonably good (when people work on and update it), though ofcourse their name will always be part of the site-url.
The upside is that mostly it has simple drag and drop mechanics and HTML coding so that you can simply adjust it.

This is something i made in about.. a day or 2 (im a student so dont have much time) using Weebly.. ofcourse there are masses more third party sites usable even guildlaunch or enjin if you really want to.

http://epic-timeraider.weebly.com/

Though ofcourse i havent added forums or anything special.
It was just meant for fun so dont look to serious at it, havent updated it since about quite a while now :P

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
OP Offline
Personally I'm in favor of having an own infrastructure, and I think my main argument would be that it's orders of magnitude easier to allow everyone to contribute, to delegate, and to shift responsibilities. I think it will stand the test of time better than template solutions, and that it better caters for the evolution of an online community. If you want to have a site and a wiki and maybe a voice chat server, it's so much more practical and convenient to have it in one place.

Example: I think the only reason that weresheep.net has as much content as it is, is because it is a wiki, which allowed people to contribute what they want, when they want. No bottleneck in the form of a single web-admin, which can be very demotivating.

That being said, if not enough people care for something else than a static website, I agree that your suggestion will work just fine. hehe

journeyman
journeyman
I guess fan site would always be there, maybe putting up a wiki for faqs that people usually asked here. And in the future it could be extended even more when modding starts to kick in.

As far as I can see there are no good wiki in place here at larian.com, so weresheep.net might as well serve this purpose. smile

Originally Posted by Robrecht
Personally I'm in favor of having an own infrastructure, and I think my main argument would be that it's orders of magnitude easier to allow everyone to contribute, to delegate, and to shift responsibilities. I think it will stand the test of time better than template solutions, and that it better caters for the evolution of an online community. If you want to have a site and a wiki and maybe a voice chat server, it's so much more practical and convenient to have it in one place.

Example: I think the only reason that weresheep.net has as much content as it is, is because it is a wiki, which allowed people to contribute what they want, when they want. No bottleneck in the form of a single web-admin, which can be very demotivating.

That being said, if not enough people care for something else than a static website, I agree that your suggestion will work just fine. hehe

meh, to be really honest im actually even fine with the site as they have it. A more conventional forum section might be great though :P

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
T
stranger
stranger
T
I think that having a wiki that is consistently available and has several active members is crucial. ATM, the only other feature that I can see a need for is a forum so that we don't clutter the larian forums with threads like this one. And to make it easier to spot weresheep.net-specific threads among the much higher number of threads here.

Any additional functionality right now would probably be premature. We should prepare to fulfill the community's unmet needs as they arise, but there is no way to know what those needs will be yet.

If anything, selecting a flexible and well-rounded CMS now could save time later (Drupal comes to mind, but it has been a long time since I administered a CMS, so there might be much better options)
Also, consider that features like teamspeak can become fairly expensive (at least compared to text with a few images).

veteran
veteran
If you really want to set something up which is easy to install and modify, easy to maintain, easy to enhance with modules (forum, instant message, e-mail, calendar, twitter, votings,....) and which has a proper user managemant and rights system you should use a wordpress page.

A "free" website - even based on templates - is way too much work to design, install and set up, espacially if you want to improve it later on or if you want to add features to it.

With a wordpress page you can almost do everything. Start with some basic features and a nice template with the possiblity of constant improving and adding content to the site. One of the biggest advantages of a wordpress page is it's sophisticated user rights system which enables users to contribute to the site on their own (like a wiki) and adding new content (for example in the newsfeed if they have the rights to do so.

I was part of a small team which set up the fanpage for the Obsidian Order of Eternity for PE which is also based on wordpress (in an i-frame). You can have a look here: http://www.obsidianorderofeternity.net/
(Lars did the coding for the basic page features and the menu bar and I made the design (based on a template) and the logos and added most of the content for example. The project was pretty much discontinued later on but you could still use it as an example for a proper set-up fanpage.)

And I would offer my skills to contribute to the project, but I don't have that much time atm.

Last edited by LordCrash; 28/04/13 07:14 PM.

WOOS
LC had a point there (I suggested WP yesterday in IRC aswell.)

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
apprentice
apprentice
I create websites for clients and frequently use wordpress over Drupal as a CMS because it is so easy to use and modify with all the extensions. If you guys need any help at all give me a PM, I tend to have a fair amount of free time to be put to a good cause.

OP Offline
If you guys want to do it in wordpress, I'm perfectly fine by that. But that does mean that all that's left for me to do, is to redirect the domain to that site, as I'm not a designer. Notify me when the site is up, and I'll do the domain thing. hehe

apprentice
apprentice
Have you got hosting or just the domain?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by tdh, the sheepis
Also, consider that features like teamspeak can become fairly expensive (at least compared to text with a few images).

This is a non-issue as long as I have my server (at least another 3 years, possibly way longer than that). No bandwidth limits and 100mbit uplink. Just an absolute no-no on commercial (and illegal, duh) stuff.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jenga
Have you got hosting or just the domain?

The domain, and root/physical access to two different physical servers. Also see my previous post. (Which I apparently made seconds before yours.)

apprentice
apprentice
Ah sorry, its possible to set up the entire new site, whatever that may be, then just FTP it straight onto your server that way the actual site would be wheresheep.net and not just a redirect.

OP Offline
Well, if it is a wordpress site, there's no real need to move the hosting from their servers I suppose. Files and other heavy content could still be hosted on other servers. As long as the domain name ties everything neatly together, it doesn't really matter what runs where.

EDIT: and the redirect could also be done by using an iframe, as LC suggested (if my short term memory isn't messing with me :-P)

EDIT: I also am a bit confused, I'll be playing with wordpress on wordpress.weresheep.net in the next few days.

EDIT the third: Came across free wordpress hosting options in case you don't want to wait for me to have time to set it up :hihi:

Last edited by Robrecht; 28/04/13 08:48 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
just my two cents since i saw something like teamspeak..there are WAAAAY better and sometimes free alternatives..

will comment more later.. still kaput -.- no not from party, -hernia acting up-

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dwelfusius
just my two cents since i saw something like teamspeak..there are WAAAAY better and sometimes free alternatives..

will comment more later.. still kaput -.- no not from party, -hernia acting up-

Of course. Teamspeak is just the obvious example of which everyone knows what it does. wink

T
stranger
stranger
T
Heya guys finally got around to signing up to the Larian forums. *waves*

Technatorium - Royal Weresheep Curator
I have got a vector version of the sheep. Is its okay with lc.

http://www.dexyd.be/woos/weresheep-larian-big.png

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard