Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
stranger
About the gender thing: Maybe you could make an classical addon which would allow to play as a female dragon knight. I would buy it.
About the article: I and nearly everybody who is interested in gaming i know takes press lesser and lesser serious. Imho you should do at the release of DC the same thing you did at the end of the kickstarter.

veteran
veteran
That's not an "add-on". That's not even an expansion pack. That's literally an entire new game.

But yes, I think Larian could use the lessons from the Kickstarter and spend a couple of weeks between "going gold" and the release date giving Review copies to Youtube Superstars.

Especially Jesse Cox. Jesse Cox was a doubter. Make him eat his words.

old hand
old hand
To be honest of the D-OS youtubers; the only one I really enjoyed was total biscuit. I won't name the ones that I particularly disliked to avoid offending people but TB was really good !

Originally Posted by Stabbey
That's not an "add-on". That's not even an expansion pack. That's literally an entire new game.

But yes, I think Larian could use the lessons from the Kickstarter and spend a couple of weeks between "going gold" and the release date giving Review copies to Youtube Superstars.

Especially Jesse Cox. Jesse Cox was a doubter. Make him eat his words.

Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
You could say something as simple as "The sky is blue" and those who want to hate are going to find a reason to hate.

Well, as a matter of fact, according to the Ancient Greeks, who lay the foundations for Western Civilization and therefore knew everything, the sky is actually bronze, not blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdH88uM8bw

veteran
veteran
Let's not go down the long, irrelevant road of going "I didn't like reviewer X, but I didn't like Y" "No, Y was terrible, Z was the best." "X rocks, Z sucks". If you're posting on the Larian forums, you're probably already a customer.

It doesn't matter in any way what we personally think of reviewer X,Y,Z, the point is that X,Y, and Z reach an audience, and even a single sale from an reviewer X watcher will balance out the cost of X's review copy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
I'll try the game for myself, but honestly... it doesn't have much appeal. It incorporates a number of elements that have been done in greater depth in other games,

But not together.

and doesn't really bring anything new or exciting to the table.

Mixing all those genres/subgenres together is exiting in my book.

It's fairly easy to see why some people may be negatively pre-disposed toward the game, particularly when it's in a constant state of implicit comparison to Original Sin--a much more exciting title.

My money is on it being too hard to put a label on it, that tends to confuse people. People don't like being confused.

Last edited by theBlackDragon; 02/05/13 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Macbeth
P.S. And about the player-is-male-by-default issue. This is a result of the inevitable changes and challenges that befall development. Yes, in the beginning you could be male or female and marry a male or female: your choice. First we made the story lines of the princesses with the idea we could make a male version out of them, but it turned out that wouldn't really work out that well and that we'd need new story lines entirely for the princes. Because of time restraints that failed to materialise. That's really too bad, but there is really nothing more to it.

Wow... It's a great pity that it couldn't have been implemented frown

No chance of an expansion/add-on/patch that would implement this content? Probably not. I suppose that would make the initial release seem unfinished...

Still, a shame. But it's nice to dream of what could've been smile

All I know is that I can't wait for July laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know why people compare DC to D:OS. It's like comparing apples and tomatoes.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
veteran
veteran
No, they are not adding a gender swap option, probably not even in an expansion. Too bad. That can't be done for every game in existence. This game has a ton of branching, fully voice-acted dialogue for a male prince and one of 4 different female princesses. Larian isn't a huge company, they only have so many resources.

Originally Posted by henryv
I don't know why people compare DC to D:OS. It's like comparing apples and tomatoes.

They are both called Divinity: Something Something, they're both from Larian - clearly they are both games in the same series and therefore must be similar.

It may not be the soundest train of thought, but it is an understandable one.

veteran
veteran

I agree on this!

Okay, both games take place in the Divinity Universe and both are, of course, from the Larian developers, but !

D:OS is a RPG and DC is a strategy game with a few rpg elements, but way more strategy than roleplaying.

Correct me if I'm totally wrong ... laugh
Sometimes a "comparison" can be an annoying thing ! :hihi:

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis

They are both called Divinity: Something Something, they're both from Larian - clearly they are both games in the same series and therefore must be similar.

In regards to the bolded words I quoted above, they have distinct title:
DRAGON COMMANDER
DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN

If you're a buyer who has no knowledge of the divinity series, you won't think it is from a divinity series with the title alone. Unless they print it out at the back with the narrative description (I'm sure they'll do that), the buyer won't notice it. I could assume that the poster who compared both games came from Kickstarter or who have played the divinity series for a long time.

Now that I think about it, larian is doing a good job reaching out the divinity series to people who are new to it with this game. Kind of tapping a new fanbase.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
It used to be called Dragon Commander, yes. And this subforum still carries the name.

The official site, on the other hand, quite clearly calls it Divinity: Dragon Commander. As does the official "What is Divinity - Dragon Commander" trailer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It used to be called Dragon Commander, yes. And this subforum still carries the name.

The official site, on the other hand, quite clearly calls it Divinity: Dragon Commander. As does the official "What is Divinity - Dragon Commander" trailer.

It's not exactly the only series with different subgenres in the same universe. C&C did it, Warhammer 40k did it and I'm sure people can come up with more examples.

It doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out Dragon Commander isn't a RPG when looking at the official website for 5 minutes. If two different games sharing the same setting is too much to grasp for some people then ... really I don't know anymore...

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
enthusiast
enthusiast

Oh, and that's why people kept on comparing it. Yeah, it's understandable.

Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

It doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out Dragon Commander isn't a RPG when looking at the official website for 5 minutes. If two different games sharing the same setting is too much to grasp for some people then ... really I don't know anymore...

"I don't want to live in this planet anymore" - meme

Last edited by henryv; 02/05/13 04:32 PM.

S
veteran
veteran
S
"this game hates women" this seems to be the general sentiment of this article.

suddenly i start to realize why this topic popped up on this forum.
Cause this reviewer is clearly out of his mind...

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
Originally Posted by Macbeth
P.S. And about the player-is-male-by-default issue. This is a result of the inevitable changes and challenges that befall development. Yes, in the beginning you could be male or female and marry a male or female: your choice. First we made the story lines of the princesses with the idea we could make a male version out of them, but it turned out that wouldn't really work out that well and that we'd need new story lines entirely for the princes. Because of time restraints that failed to materialise. That's really too bad, but there is really nothing more to it.

Wow... It's a great pity that it couldn't have been implemented frown

No chance of an expansion/add-on/patch that would implement this content? Probably not. I suppose that would make the initial release seem unfinished...

Still, a shame. But it's nice to dream of what could've been smile

All I know is that I can't wait for July laugh

In some of the videos from the D:OS campaign Larian said that they used the same engine for both games and considering they are releasing that engine it is possible that a user created mod/add-on could be made to put that feature back in. I for one am excited to get my hands on this game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jenga

In some of the videos from the D:OS campaign Larian said that they used the same engine for both games and considering they are releasing that engine it is possible that a user created mod/add-on could be made to put that feature back in. I for one am excited to get my hands on this game.

That won't work. While they ARE using the same base engine, they're explicitly said that they're using different tools to build the different games and that you can't use the Original Sin editor to make maps for Dragon Commander.

I
stranger
stranger
I
You know if he is judging by the picture its funny to me because my first impression isn't that it's sexy at all....It's just plain sad, it feels kinda tragic. It makes me want to know what happened and how to fix it.

If she keeps it like that well I can understand the idea of greek sensuality. We will have to see how well that is expressed in game, and if she has been stuck like that for hundreds of years I would find it surprising if she wasn't a bit odd and working though such a major change. And if they are trying to make her into a real character, then that needs to be addressed. She can't just turn out to be normal and give the player a quest item. She needs to continue to show character and her past as a walking undead will undoubtable be a part of that.

As for the idea they "shrink the potential consumer base" though having a target audience well the truth is a game, or any product really, succeeds when it has a strong vision of its goals. Part of this is a target audience. A focus on said audience that has made successful franchises out of these games (including the divinity series itself) and so is a reliable idea for success. Not to say other goals don't work or this one works all the time, but you need a plan to make a successful...Well...anything really.

journeyman
journeyman

In fact, it's more like comparing "pommes" (Apple) and "Pommes de terres" (patatoes) ... Both have "pomme" in their name, serve to feed you, but just not the same way !

I like the idea this game can bring to us, even if I don't know how it will work in multiplayer mode, the solo game can be awesome... I'm eager to test it (maybe a little bit less than D:OS, but to keep my comparison, the desert can sometimes come before the main dish".

I hope we will get beta keys to try it and help them polish it... It's a win/win idea.

Concerning nudity/sensual/sexual things, it doesn't hurt so much. I mean, it's a game for mature people AND she is your wife. Seen her as attractive is, in the role playing, normal... Isn't it?

Furthermore, I don't understand why the topic of game for mens / girls come when 40% of players are girls ... To be a Dragon prince in exil don't have to deserve girls from playing the game... It's as if we said "Boys don't play Tomb Raider games, because they can't switch gender" ... Yeah, bad idea as she was designed for fan support, but you get the idea.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard