Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
I thought Civ 5 was popular and that's a turn-based game too.

X-COM:EU was hailed as the reviver of turn-based tactical gameplay, and it did it in a rather shoddy way.

The factor I'm tempted to think of in terms of appeal is patience.
It might be just me, but I feel that the younger gaming generation today is too impatient. Which is why the main audience for D:OS is probably a more mature one.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
journeyman
journeyman
EinTroll and Dundalis,

I think both of you are right. In real games (boardgames, chess ...), people play at their turn and it's still famous. For me, a turned based game is really enjoyable ... IF the animations are not too slow ! (And, that's not just me being impatient)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dundalis
The reason turn based games don't work as well anymore is because games are now more realistic than ever. A gamers mind was more pliable in terms of discarding reality when playing video games in the 90's because that was the level of sophistication in games. Kinda like cheesy 80's movies were popular because that was the level of expectation. Crappy graphics and no voice acting was more than acceptable back then because that was the standard.

These days both games and movies are more realistic than ever (not necessary so much the world/environment, but the physics and dialog/logic). When something becomes unrealistic it's much more noticeable. And fact is turn based combat isn't realistic. People don't have an infinite amount of time to plan their next movement in real life, so it's become less popular. Gamers these days want games to be as realistic as possible (again in a physics/logic sense), and that will continue to grow as games become more technologically advanced. Turn based games will never come back to mainstream they will just get more and more obscure along with other unrealistic aspects of todays games.

What you are basically saying is that "modern" (using the term very loosely) gamers lack imagination. Unsurprisingly I disagree.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
J
stranger
stranger
J
I didn't realize that the reason I didn't like some games today was because they had unrealistic aspects, I just thought it was because they were badly made and poorly designed. Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that realism is all I really wanted in my fantasy escapist hobby. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, the reason turn based role playing started to die is the growing popularity of the action rpg & the MMORPG. Most people would blame the Diablo games, I personally blame the Infinity games. Turn based disappearing was a design level decision, because of what suits thought was popular, not because "gamers only want realism". As implied in the previous paragraph I don't care about realism because I'm wanting to play a game to get away from the real. Some people like realism, other people couldn't give two flying Damien's about it. Generalizations like "gamers these days want games to be as realistic as possible" are baseless unless backed up with data.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Jonlevir
I didn't realize that the reason I didn't like some games today was because they had unrealistic aspects, I just thought it was because they were badly made and poorly designed. Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that realism is all I really wanted in my fantasy escapist hobby. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, the reason turn based role playing started to die is the growing popularity of the action rpg & the MMORPG. Most people would blame the Diablo games, I personally blame the Infinity games. Turn based disappearing was a design level decision, because of what suits thought was popular, not because "gamers only want realism". As implied in the previous paragraph I don't care about realism because I'm wanting to play a game to get away from the real. Some people like realism, other people couldn't give two flying Damien's about it. Generalizations like "gamers these days want games to be as realistic as possible" are baseless unless backed up with data.

Were you trying to cram as much nonsense as you could in this post? If so, then I'd say you've succeeded.

I prefer turn-based to real-time combat because it gives me more control over the situations presented.

Last edited by AstroZombie; 23/06/13 08:10 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
What gamers always wanted, is to have a good time playing, and everyone is different in his gaming preferences.

For the graphism, in HD, it is just wonderful. Furthermore, it's kinda more "realistic" than a lot of other game I played, with the discussion with your compagnon ...and the world in itself may be full of surprises.

The combat in turn by turn still work pretty well (Heroes 3-4-5 for exemple, but CIV too) and being able to play like that with a friend is a novelty.

old hand
old hand
There were a ton of ARPG's released in the past 18 months and a few more to go. There are very very few true turn based coop RPG's. I can't be happier about DOS choice. People ask for DnD on a computer... People say "Turn based is too slow", especially in MP. Well DnD PnP isn't fast, wasn't meant to be fast, is multiplayer and slow, that is how we liked it. You'd think a game (perhaps this one) can actually be a DnD PnP game so we can play with friends that cannot get together anymore, in a coop game over the net. How this hasn't happened much at all... ever, is hard to believe. Win!!!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard