Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Has anyone tried getting the game working on a below spec system? Specifically, Tarasis in the Kickstarter comments only has a MacBook Pro, with Nvidia 9400M graphics (2.53Ghz CPU, 8GB Ram (3GB in XP), 512GB SSD).

The 9400M seems pretty under powered (in a quick web search) compared to the official minimum graphics of a GeForce 8800 GT (512MB RAM) or equivalent, but the previous Divinity games were fairly conservative with their minimum specs, so it is at least worth checking if the game might be playable on a MacBook at a lower resolution or reduced graphics settings.

Well I can answer this myself now smile

on Win XP

1280x800 (graphics auto detect Quality as High) ~7FPS
1280x800 (Quality Low) ~9-12FPS

800x600 (Quality low but settings below shadows enabled) ~16-19FPS

640x480 (Quality low) ~30FPS
640x480 (Quality low but settings below shadows enabled) ~26FPS

@Larian (or David?) noted on KS that he was surprised it ran at all, and quite understandably felt the graphics card was the bottleneck. Also suggested using Win 7 rather than a 12 year old operating system smile

As I'm curious to see what, if any, difference running in Win 7 would make I'm in the process of backing stuff up before I nuke the partition and install Win 7.

G
G
Tarsis, also take a look at the DirectX on Win7, I did see some articles on it online.

One statement was:
So in order to use your video game, which more than likely needs Direct X hardware drivers and full performance of the hardware, your going to need to install Windows 7 into Bootcamp and directly boot the Mac into the Windows operating system.

WeresheepVampire of Original Sin
WoOS - https://weresheep.net/doku.php
veteran
veteran
Can someone tell if the game forcefully limits FPS to 30/60 CAP?

Does it has real AA features or it is usual edge-blurring?

old hand
old hand
We have an AA gun!

veteran
veteran
Arbital Annihilation gun?

veteran
veteran
Good lord, everything, that indicates poor and cheap console port, everything that I was afraid of is here:
-- hardcoded FPS cap to 60 (FrameCapFPS completely being ignored by the game)
-- lack of AA setup (hello nVidiaInspector, we need your help again)
-- incredible small fontsize (looks like Divinity 2 feedback onthis field was ignored as well)

Fake Fullscreen breaks mouse position so it is useless. Fullscreen ALWAYS on 60FPS and always sets Refresh Rate to 60Hz as well. DXOverride not compatible, game crashes.

Beta status is not an excuse for lack of basic engine features that should be mandatory for any PC game.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I managed to run the game on a laptop with a 2.4 Ghz C2D processor. Since it wasn't my laptop I do not remember the graphics card specification (I can look it up later), but it should be way below the official minimum requirements. The graphics quality was of course very low, but the game was running very smoothly without any crash or lagging.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein
Good lord, everything, that indicates poor and cheap console port, everything that I was afraid of is here:
-- hardcoded FPS cap to 60 (FrameCapFPS completely being ignored by the game)
-- lack of AA setup (hello nVidiaInspector, we need your help again)
-- incredible small fontsize (looks like Divinity 2 feedback onthis field was ignored as well)

Fake Fullscreen breaks mouse position so it is useless. Fullscreen ALWAYS on 60FPS and always sets Refresh Rate to 60Hz as well. DXOverride not compatible, game crashes.

Beta status is not an excuse for lack of basic engine features that should be mandatory for any PC game.

OMG who cares about all that stuff? Nobody needs more than 60 FPS, especially not in a game like that. The fonts may be changed until release.

The game is running smoothly and looks good, that's all that I ask for......

WOOS
stranger
stranger
With my amd hd7730m, I get 14fps in high, 18fps in medium and 21fps in low. With my intel hd4000, I get 18fps in low.

I think 14fps is playable because it's not like a race game or a FPS, though it could be better (I'm waiting a choice between directx 9, opengl and directx 11, since the kickstarter campaign told there will be all of them).

On steam, it is written Amd hd4850 for the minimum requirement. I think it should be changed to something lower (to give a comparison, directx 9 performance of amd hd7730m is around amd hd 4670, which is more than two times slower than 4850 according to 3Dmark results).
People with a configuration worse than 4850 could not buy it because of that, whereas they could run the game.

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard