Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Noticed this on the GOG version of the game.

"Multiplayer notice: The game's multiplayer mode is compatybile only with the DRM-free versions of the game bought on GOG.com."

I ended up buying my copy from steam, mostly for simplicity sake as I already have D2 on steam but now I'm wondering if the steam version will be limited to playing against people who have the steam version or if it will work against people who have the retail box as well.

old hand
old hand
Retail boxes come with both Steam & GOG versions to prevent that problem. It's the best solution we could think of.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
So basicly we need both GoG and Steam versions of the game to be able to play with everyone, and have to switch between them to do so? That's quite troublesome.

T
Tnb Offline
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Retail boxes come with both Steam & GOG versions to prevent that problem. It's the best solution we could think of.

That is NOT the best solution! Yesterday i bought the Steam Version ... On Steam is NO notice about this problem with gog & steam multiplayer. Now i read this and iam frustrated. I hope i can refund it on steam ...

the best solution is you get both versions on steam and on gog, that is a solution. I pay 40€ and get not the full experience. I will refund the Steam version and buy the Retail box.

AND LARIAN MAKE A NOTICE ON STEAM ABOUT THIS FACT, like on gog.com.

But for the MP Community is this a massive problem. The community splits into 2 camps. Why is it not possible that steam user can play versus gog user?

Last edited by Tnb; 29/06/13 08:51 AM.
Support
Support

GOG games can not include Steamworks; there are a couple GOG games that have CD keys for online multi-player, but in general any form of DRM is frowned upon. I don't know why the Steam version could not include both Steamworks and a non-Steamworks online option, but I would assume that would have been the first thing Larian looked at...

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
There are tons of games that support multiplayer between steam and non-steam versions with no problem, so I don't get why it is different with DC frown

Last edited by Xelrah; 29/06/13 08:20 PM.
Support
Support

I don't know. I have asked about that, but haven't gotten a reply.

L
stranger
stranger
L

I was just looking at what version to get, Steam or GOG, and noticed this thread. I'm amazed this is considered a best solution. It's put me off my purchase now and I think I'll wait until this is resolved. Even if I get the retail version (assuming it comes to Australia in retail stores) I'll still have to install it twice to find multiplayer from two separated player bases. That sucks.

It makes no sense that the Steam version can't connect to the DRM-free version. The programming is obviously there not to use Steamworks for multiplayer so why not just use it. You could even give Steam version the option of multiplayer using Steam ID usign Steamworks or using non-Steam multiplayer.

Sorry to put it bluntly but I don't think you found the best solution but the easy solution. Otherwise thank you for what looks like a great game I knew little about until I became a kickstarter for DOS and I hope it's a great success.

veteran
veteran
I can only support the wish for a single multiplayer experience. It's a very bad decision to divide the mulitplayer into two groups, I haven't heard of any game that did that before.

I know that it's probably the easiest way for Larian to use Steamworks for multiplayer. But if it doesn't work with all versions on the market they should come up with another solution or at least an alternative solution.

Wasn't there some kind of "virtual LAN" in planning? So that you can play multiplayer with everyone having the game no matter on which platform? I would like to know more on that topic....

WOOS
Support
Support

There are programs you can use to set up a virtual LAN for gaming, but I don't think Larian was planning on implementing something like that themselves.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I wouldn't worry about this if you have the steam version, as with most games now a days 80-90% of the buyers will buy it there and you will find a good amount of lobbies and people play with.

I've never bought a game on GoG so I can't really say how the multiplayer community is over there

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
We've noticed there's some confusion about the Steam version of the game versus the other versions like the one that'll be distributed through gog.com or the vault.

The short of it is that all versions all equal and all versions are compatible with one another.

You do need a Steam account if you want to take advantage of all of the Steamworks features that are integrated into the game.

If you don't have a Steam account, then you can still play online or in a LAN, but you won't be able to use the Steamworks features. In that case the Steamworks part of the game will become grayed out.

All versions are DRM free btw but feature a secret surprise for pirates.

Hope that clears it up.

So basicly despite what GOG page says, those who own GOG version will be able to play with players owning a steam version?
If so I'm glad that it was sorted out.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard