Print Thread
#468205 30/06/13 10:01 PM
H
Hagbag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I just got into the beta last night and I've tried several tiems to play the game but every single time I get to the RTS part I get my ass handed to me harder than I ever have in my life. Im playing against an "easy" comp but somehow his units seem stronger than mine and he always has more units being pumped out even if I have more recruitment places than he does. Its gone the same way every time, I get a good start and cap over half the map, then no mater how hard I push, no mater what I cannot push into his base then I run out of recruits and he destroys me with an armada. Is this game just stupidly hard or am I just an idiot?

Hagbag #468206 30/06/13 10:25 PM
veteran
veteran
It's hard to get your feet under you at first. It is definitely tough capturing a base because the enemy tends to send a constant stream of troops out and they're defended with turrets.

At the start, build a large number of ground troops and send those to capture all the nearby Construction Sites. Capturing those gives you free Recruits. More tips in a bit.

Shamans are really, really helpful, make lots of them, AND research their abilities. They have an AOE paralyze ability that can shut down enemy units, charm them into switching sides, and cast a shield on your own units that protects them from some damage and prevents debuffs.

Hunters are great against Battle Forge and air units.

Last edited by Stabbey; 30/06/13 11:02 PM. Reason: tips
Stabbey #468208 30/06/13 10:48 PM
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Don't worry I felt the same way, the game is hard even on easy, and Stabbey is right the key is fast expansion(which it really shouldn't be IMO) And The Ai always gets Unit Techs early, which may be why there stronger then your units

demidevil #468292 01/07/13 06:23 PM
H
Hagbag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I really want to like the game, I really really do. But this is ridiculous, I tried a 2v2 team put both enemies on easy and my ally on easy, my ally rolled over and died and I wasn't allowed to leave my base, how do they roll out a never ending supply of troops its insane.

Hagbag #468294 01/07/13 06:43 PM
addict
addict
There are people, like me, who have no or little trouble 1 v 1ing Hard AIs and 2 v 2ing Insane AIs, in their current shape.

You need to grasp the principles of unit spamming and rapid expansion. Most importantly: capture the hexagonal "Resource" sites and build the recruitment centres there a.s.a.p. (start with troopers for that, then switch to hunters). Next priority is building your army. Make sure to have a balance of units (mostly, mix hunters with armors and grenadiers), have some shamans healing and supporting with abilities, warlocks supporting if you've got micromanagement down, devastators with zeppelin support.

Get those down right, then refine positioning, add in dragon support while attacking and you'll roll over even Insane AI bases.

Depending on the map, you might have to master splitting your army to effectively conquer neutral territory quicker.

I hope this advice helps you at least a little.

Last edited by EinTroll; 01/07/13 06:45 PM.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #468303 01/07/13 07:20 PM
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Hey, did you make the difficulty easy in options, or in the multiplayer lobby? cuz if you did it in the options menu then the difficulty is still basic Normal, which i find to hard

demidevil #468324 01/07/13 09:22 PM
addict
addict
I play with that difficulty setting on Normal.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #468325 01/07/13 09:39 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
To get started, play in easy and make sure the game speed is slow or very slow. I found that slow was the sweetspot for me (set this in option before you go into the multiplayer lobby).

Make sure to pick a small map, namely Dragon Pass. It's one big pinch point, so it makes setting up a defense much easier. On that map, try holding the first recruiting hex at the base of your ramp. Have your forge rally to the recruiting center and build up your army there. That way if you do get attacked, all your units in in one good spot and you can jump into dragon mode and kick some rump. Watch out of for grenadiers. They will blow your dragon up if you're not quick. If you get low on health, don't sacrifice yourself. just hit R (morph hotkey) again and pop back to being a commander.

Make sure to have a lone trooper go take control of the base in the corner of you island. Each time you capture a point, you get recruits. use that second base (*dont build in it, just capture) to fuel your early recruits. Once you feel like your army can hold it's own, move out and try taking the bot down.

JadeViper #468326 01/07/13 09:44 PM
veteran
veteran
A lone trooper captures really slowly, you want to send a group of at least 5 units for an almost-instant capture. I find that setting waypoints by shift-right-clicking helps a lot at getting units to go capture places on their own without you needing to babysit them.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard