Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Lurker #467988 29/06/13 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by Lurker
It would be great if D:OS had ways of defeating opponents without killing them.

First of all, it's not realistic that every single enemy will fight to the death. Animals, even the hungry and aggressive ones, might try to flee when it becomes obvious they're losing. More intelligent opponents might surrender in order to save their lives.

I think you should get XP for every defeated opponent, including those who successfully flee or surrender. In this case, it might be necessary to tag those opponents, so you cannot generate an infinite amount of XP by attacking fleeing opponents over and over.

Of course, you'd miss out on the loot of fleeing enemies. Those who surrender could offer you all their belongings in order to get away, though. Some might even offer additional loot, like telling you about a secret stash of items if you let them live.

It would be really cool if your reputation influenced the chance of surrender: As long as you're an honorable person who is known to show mercy, enemies are more likely to surrender. If you kill people who have surrendered, future opponents will be less likely to make the same mistake, and their resolve might even allow them to put up more of a fight.

Of course, this shouldn't happen all of the time. Mindless creatures like some undead should never run away or surrender. Fanatics and soldiers who know that their superiors will kill them if they lose the fight should also have a very low chance of giving up. Untrained citizens, on the other hand, should be quite likely to beg for their lives instead of fighting to the death. It would also add a lot to the credibility of the game world if a heavily wounded opponent became very likely to surrender after you've obliterated the rest of the group without taking much damage yourself.

I'd also like to have a way of disabling opponents even if they don't surrender. You could knock them unconscious or wound them in a way that doesn't allow them to fight on. Why would you want to do that? You might be convinced that your opponent is out of his/her mind (e.g. when possessed or mind-controlled) or you might want to give him/her a chance of seeing that what he/she's been doing is wrong. That might lead to the NPC remaining in the same area, but becoming non-hostile afterwards. It could also leave him/her totally unimpressed, or he/she might even try to track you down in order to avenge the defeat by "purging" this "dishonour".

I do feel completely with Lurker as I am so sick tired of the same old, same old life or death and nothing in between.
Having those suggested options would add some maturity to a game, especially if those alternative solutions also can have their own effects for the future.
As old it is, I did loved the idea in 'Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar' that you could also point with behavior which most games never really touched.
The reputation system from DD was ever a major part which I loved in the game as it was not just all about points but about making an impact in the gaming world.
It would be great if it is possible to even have localized reputation like in a village or even personalized, making your own arch-enemies and close friends, might it be by choice or by chance.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
Stabbey #467999 29/06/13 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
In some cases, there are items that are supposed to be hidden for the player to explore and actually search. What I think would be a good reward to teach players to search would be a flag for pickupable/interactable items: "Does not show up on press of ALT key".

How about the best of both worlds?
Using the alt key to highlight obvious items like we know from DD, etc. like loot and/or visible items on a table.

Adventure games use a key to highlight objects in case you stuck. Such a 'hint' key for harder to spot objects could be simply another key.
Then you can decide yourself if you want just convenient help with the ALT key or when you are frustrated or just too lazy to explore you can use the 'hint' key.
It would be just nice if they would be not right next to eachother smile

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
Helena L #468002 29/06/13 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by Helena L
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

Why hasn't anybody commented on Scarlett wearing high heels yet?

I found this annoying as well, but after all the fuss over the concept art, I thought bringing up the issue was more trouble than it was worth. I'm assuming there'll be non-high-heeled armours in the final game.

Most companies try to appeal so much to their main group of players which seem to be puberting, hormondriven munchkins, that they keep recycling those obnoxious cliches of chainmail bikinis and Barbarians which seem to eat every day anabolica for breakfast for years ;p
Maybe Larian can break that bad habit and show that the average player age raised since the last decade? smile

So, if you are against high heels, honk. *HONK,HONK*

Lurker #468003 29/06/13 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lurker
Actions should have lasting consequences on the game world, both large and small. This can take many forms; some examples:

- NPCs recognize you and react to what they've heard about you, e.g. by cheering or fleeing in terror.
- Objects get built or destroyed. In the course of a quest, you could get NPCs to build a shrine or burn down a house, and the shrine or the charred ruins stay there for the rest of the game, a visible reminder of your influence on the world.
- Objects or even the landscape change depending on what you've done. You've helped a farmer against some bandits? Maybe his fields are in full bloom because of you. You've sided with the bandits, killed the farmer and plundered his belongings? The crops may wither and the animals may starve to death or perhaps the bandits move in and prove to be better farmers than the original one ever was wink

All of this provides the feeling of having achieved something and can even be a better reward than some XP and some gold.

I just love your ideas, I also veer thought there must be more in an adventurers life then just stab and loot, stab and loot. It's like going to work to pay for all the bills for all the junk you don't really need in the first place ;p
Doing some lasting things in a game could be so much more rewarding.
I ever wished for a game scenario like 'The Seven Samurai' where you can train and/or help defending some local place and build yourself a local rep.

Sorry for all those postings, just came to finally dig through this long thread and replies pile up.

henryv #468005 29/06/13 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by henryv
I don't like QTE because it tends to be tedious and annoying. Don't also suggest something like this (Arx Fatalis Spell casting) just look at how failed the spell casting system @ 1:22 (it is due to real time though). Again, it will be tedious.

Hey, that was a GREAT game and the magic system was refreshing different and quite immersive smile
A good mage knows his spells and does not panic and in the process confuse his runes like that guy in the video which got molested by the rat and died from his panic reaction wink

But every idea works for certain games with different style and pacing and I agree, for DOS it would clearly not the right system, not to mention that one is first person view and the other isometric.

Bearhug #468026 29/06/13 09:50 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I never played Arx Fatalis, is it similar to DivDiv. please?

Lostsheep #468042 29/06/13 12:41 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Is this game going to have unarmed combat?

Lostsheep #468196 30/06/13 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lostsheep
I never played Arx Fatalis, is it similar to DivDiv. please?

The main difference is that Arx Fatalis is a first person perspective game, pretty much what most people just know from shooter games but more and more other games discover as well to combine with other genres like Adventure games.
The best way to get some impression is to search on Youtube for some gameplay videos.
Arkane Studios was ever known for trying something new and created classics like 'Might and Magic Dark Messiah' and 'Dishonored'.
the whole game plays underground and you start from breaking out of a jail cell. If you liked Ultima Underground then you will probably like the game.

Bearhug #468480 03/07/13 12:56 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
My wish list IS Divinity Original Sin will be at November

If to be serious I would like

- BIG world with different atmosphere quests,NPCs,secrets like Divine Divinity and further more Homestead Plane etc...(promised)

- A lot type of monsters like Dungeon Siege 2
with different behaviors and Gigantic bosses for example Four-Headed Dragon who have been mentioned at Kickstarter trailer http://youtu.be/weUPfejQ7xE (10:40) or monsters like Butcher from update video (promised about behaviors)

- Great music of Kirill Pokrovsky (promised with Orchestra!!)

- Intrigue plot with unexpected things and events (promised) PLEASE guys don`t make plot about world`s salvation another time it quite annoying,I think it will better tell story about main heroes and make it more private story at least likewise Beyond Divinity...

- Impressive crafting system (promised)

- Full dialogs not keyword system (partly realised) I can understand about such restrictions- Good example is Morrowind there is HUGE amount of text and topics

- Ragdoll physics (not promised because not important)

- Independence single from coop (promised)

- Possibility to see and interact with 7 races

- Possibility to kick ass Lord of Chaos before Divine Divinity,at least not directly but by crashing it`s plans(perhaps you did it casually and actually you don`t know about exactly what consequences will be ) or something else (I know you wouldn`t say anything it`s maybe HUGE spoiler)

Or possibility to see Seven Gods in the flesh)) Or\and to see familiar characters such as young Bellegar,Maxos.

-Possibility to travel through HEll or another dimension not(only) Homestead(like Mehrun Dagon`s Oblivion\Sheogorath`s Shivering Isles) for quest purpose and again casually For example you casted new unknown spell and here we go ....

Uphh that`s all for now and I hope that Divinity Original Sin will Dwarf not only your previous games but other RPGs too)
Thank you)

Last edited by James 540; 03/07/13 04:03 AM.

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard