Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#469671 18/07/13 10:27 AM
M
MrBonk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M

I am probably one of few, but I like to play my PC hooked up to a nice large television.

And having controller support in this would be amazing.

I know it would require developing a separate workaround/interface and more work because of that.

But I would love for it to happen.

At the same time, I would NOT want this to impact or hurt the KB&M interface. I think the best option is to develop the PC interface first(Which I assume is probably near done)
Then develop a controller interface that you can switch to in the menu or auto switches to when a controller is detected (Much like Bioshock 1 for example)

Please sound off if you'd like it as well!

Support
Support

There was a topic awhile ago about the possibility of adding controller support, but Larian has not said if or how they decided. That may be on a wishlist of things to do if they have the time, or something.

Good isometric RPGs with controller support?

Welcome to the forum. wave

I think that there are a great many game styles that require gamepad support in this day and age--like, say, Diable-style action RPGs--but isometric tactical combat games aren't one of 'em.

R
stranger
stranger
R
There's always joy2key

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
I think that there are a great many game styles that require gamepad support in this day and age--like, say, Diable-style action RPGs--but isometric tactical combat games aren't one of 'em.

Like X-Com, Ruse, Omerta, Disgaea or FF-Tactics?

Metal is like an apple:
It´s all good except the Core...
P
stranger
stranger
P
Controller support for games like Xcom is what ruined it for me. I don't think Larian should even consider doing a controller version as this would probably impact on the K and M version, same as Xcom.
If you want to play with a controller (2nd rate form of controlling games) play PS3 and Xbox games.

T
stranger
stranger
T
As long as Larian develops an excellent keyboard/mouse controller scheme for DOS I'm fine with them developing a game contoller scheme for it too.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by pauljonas

If you want to play with a controller (2nd rate form of controlling games) play PS3 and Xbox games.

I really hate elitist staments like this from my fellow PC gamers. Are some of you people aware that most more PC games have Xbox 360 controller support? Are you people aware that Valve released a whole entire mode on steam with controllers in mind (steam big picture). If it's not some form of strategy game or PC exclusive RPG, then your average PC game has controller support.

I'm fine with this game having only keyboard and mouse support, but don't assume controllers are a console only thing.

Last edited by Bonerbill; 27/07/13 11:33 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bonerbill

I really hate elitist staments like this from my fellow PC gamers. Are some of you people aware that most more PC games have Xbox 360 controller support? Are you people aware that Valve released a whole entire mode on steam with controllers in mind (steam big picture). If it's not some form of strategy game or PC exclusive RPG, then your average PC game has controller support.

I'm fine with this game having only keyboard and mouse support, but don't assume controllers are a console only thing.

The fact that lots of games are ruined by forcing controller support on them makes a lot of us kb+mouse PC-gamers very trigger happy whenever the topic comes up.

Blame the greedy publishers that have decided that every single game should be playable on consoles (and as such, have controller support as most people don't attach a kb+mouse to their consoles) and in the process have ruined a *lot* of possibly good games and made next-to-extinct quite a few (sub)genres that rely very heavily on the mouse (like IE-styple cRPGs, C&C-style RTS, point & click adventures,...)

As a matter of fact the differences between the two control schemes are pretty major and almost always require a full rework of the UI to work *properly* on both platforms and that's not even considering the difficulty in porting over various game mechanics between platforms (can QTEs now kindly go die in a ditch?).

Porting a game designed *specifically* for PCs to a console is going to be very very challenging, the other way around generally "only" requires a full rework of the UI (assuming one doesn't want to do away with verious console-ism, like QTEs).

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

Blame the greedy publishers that have decided that every single game should be playable on consoles (and as such, have controller support as most people don't attach a kb+mouse to their consoles) and in the process have ruined a *lot* of possibly good games and made next-to-extinct quite a few (sub)genres that rely very heavily on the mouse (like IE-styple cRPGs, C&C-style RTS, point & click adventures,...)

The fact that lots of games are ruined by forcing controller support on them makes a lot of us kb+mouse PC-gamers very trigger happy whenever the topic comes up.

Honestly, this is really a subjective opinion. Most games that I've played today seems to have decent kb+m and controller support. In fact, some of these games controls better with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes a developer(like Bethesda) gets lazy and makes a console style UI for their games, but it's really rare.

Strategy games (RTS, TBS, etc) and computer style RPGs are usually mouse and keyboard only and PC exclusive, so they don't even have controller support or this so called "console taint" to "ruin" them.

Last edited by Bonerbill; 29/07/13 02:46 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I would love controller support, would still LOVE them to patch it into Divinity 2 as the xbox code is already in there somewhere, just needs the UI!

Wishful thinking i know...!

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
apprentice
apprentice

What a prat!

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

Honestly, this is really a subjective opinion. Most games that I've played today seems to have decent kb+m and controller support. In fact, some of these games controls better with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes a developer(like Bethesda) gets lazy and makes a console style UI for their games, but it's really rare.

Really? I can name more games where it's done poorly (poorly ranging from "slightly annoying" to "near unplayable") than I can where it's done properly. Games where it's done badly (all *big* titles): Skyrim (as you already mentioned), The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2 & 3 (very obvious after playing ME1). And pretty much every game designed for a console specifically (like Darksiders). Notable exceptions: Dead Space series (well, 1 & 2 at least, haven't played 3)

Strategy games (RTS, TBS, etc) and computer style RPGs are usually mouse and keyboard only and PC exclusive, so they don't even have controller support or this so called "console taint" to "ruin" them.

Which wasn't my point, at all. I said the extreme focus of major publishers on games that are portable between platforms to the exclusion of pretty much all else has lead to a near death experience of the aforementioned genres (thankfully we're seeing a revival thanks to crowdsourcing).

Either way, I'm not interested in writing out my reasoning every time this topic comes up, so I'll leave it at this.

Last edited by theBlackDragon; 30/07/13 01:58 PM.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
If done properly, controller > kb/m every single day.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mbrown3
If done properly, controller > kb/m every single day.

Was it really necessary to dig up a year old topic for such a useless comment?

Also, I disagree, but since you didn't exactly give anything resembling a proper reasoning for your enlightened statement it's kinda hard to (re-)open a serious debate, that is, assuming it's even worth re-opening said debate (which, as a matter of fact, I don't think it is)

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I didn't know it was a year old. I just clicked on the thread and read through it. My statement wasn't intended to be a cohesive argument; it was a statement of opinion. You don't like my opinion; fine. But don't play it off like this is some serious philosophical discussion, or that people don't have the right to post their opinions because of 1. age of a thread or 2. lack of a solid argument for their perspective.

Last edited by mbrown3; 30/06/14 03:57 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
then don't post is as a statement if it's just point of view (not even opinion).

As an opinion it would be easily invalidated by practical example of Skyrim, XCom, X:Rebirth atrocious controls compared to other games actually meant to be controlled (like SC2).

Gamepad controls can be better in only very rare cases. Mostly it's just better use gamepad because UI is so destroyed and unergonomic that it's even worse with K&M (Kingdom of Amalur, Fable 3 level).

Gamepad is more convenient. That's where its strength is. Not in good controlling ability of anything.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Elenoe
then don't post is as a statement if it's just point of view (not even opinion).

Uh...no. This whole idea that an opinion cannot be posted as a statement is absurd. Yes, everyone could add "in my opinion" or "as far as I'm concerned" (or whatever) to everything they say, but that would be a huge waste of time. Everything everyone says is "in their opinion." Why should they have to state it outright?

As an opinion it would be easily invalidated by practical example of Skyrim, XCom, X:Rebirth atrocious controls compared to other games actually meant to be controlled (like SC2).

And, as I said originally, "if done properly." Reading is hard.

Gamepad controls can be better in only very rare cases.

You forgot to add, "in my opinion."

Gamepad is more convenient. That's where its strength is. Not in good controlling ability of anything.

You forgot to add, "in my opinion." At least be consistent with your own arguments.

Last edited by mbrown3; 30/06/14 05:32 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mbrown3
Everything everyone says is "in their opinion." Why should they have to state it outright?

I'm not disputing your right to state your opinion and I don't care if you want to necro a thread to make some offhand remark.

I just thought I'd point out that there is a difference between making a declarative statement and an assertion of fact. It can help argument (and communication generally) to clarify which we intend if it may read ambiguously for others.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
addict
addict
Guys, you fell into the trolls trap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard