Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by SniperHF
On the new campaign map, I've noticed that I don't seem to be getting any mercenary cards.

Were you not getting any at all? Taverns should generate mercenary cards every 3 turns (and did for me Tuesday, at least).

None, zero. Played up to 15 turns. Had 3 taverns on map.

enthusiast
enthusiast
thanks for "Mouse-button to pan the camera in strategy phase is configurable now" smile

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Ravenhoff

Yeah but what is the average amount of units? I find that once you get 10+ units in the fight then starting units feel like they really matter while if you do the tiny 2 unit vs 2 units fights the AI loves to pick they won't really ever feel very large.

I used to hate the conversion rates, but they have improved a bit since the start of beta and now 10-15 unit (on the strat map) clashes actually feel like you start with something. It might be that you just don't like it because the AI loves picking tiny fights as opposed to big offensives. That's just my opinion though.

Early on I usually have rather small amounts of units I bring into the fight, but it increases as the campaign goes on.
Of course, when you bring large forces, those will matter more, no question.

Lately I started a new 2vs2 campaign, while before I mostly played with 4 independent factions. This again can change things quite a bit. Suddenly you play with 4 players on 2vs2 maps, which means that you end up with less support and ressources and consequently less units compared to a 1vs1 on the same map.
So it might be that I will have less issues with single player, since I suppose that in SP the maps will be balanced around 1vs1 (or whatever the campaign at the point asks for), rather than being made for 4 player matches.

Btw., what do you mean by "the AI loves picking tiny fights"? That the AI tends to invade with small forces? Because on the RTS maps I've seen some quite large offensives (see my GBOD topic). Although they usually happened late in the (RTS-)match when ressources start to run out.

Last edited by El Zoido; 26/07/13 10:56 AM. Reason: Typing is teh hard
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
That's my thoughts as well. if you look at the map size of many of the preview vids they are much smaller thus allowing starting forces to be brought to bear more easily. But no my "tiny fights" comment was mostly concerning the strategy map. I feel that the AI loves launching small invasions against lightly defended territory rather then get in large invasions. As such when they attack the forces involved are small, and then when you counterattack they are spread thin enough that you don't need large forces to defeat the AI. As a result you tend to get a ton of small fights instead of a few big fights. It's not a bad AI by any means (small raids are a valid tactic, probably the best in earlier betas, although IMO not the best now that starting forces are more potent) but it would be funner to face and set up for larger starting forces better if it didn't spread itself a bit too thin and used large forces to attack and defend with.

That said once the borders in strat map finalize the AI does get better about grouping units and using forces en masse but you have to let them get to that point. If you are a skilled skirmish player you can defeat all of their initial incursions and counterattack with overwhelming force thus not allowing them to get stabilized and keeping them on the back foot until they are defeated. Maybe that too will be better in SP as the AI won't be in "mad dash to get all of the neutral territories" mode as from the previews most of the provinces start out controlled.

Last edited by Ravenhoff; 26/07/13 10:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DragonCommander
thanks for "Mouse-button to pan the camera in strategy phase is configurable now" smile

Again, where is that option? You are talking about the "press mousewheel to move camera", right? I can't find that option in the controls.

apprentice
apprentice
Uh.. I just checked it out, there's still not a way to reconfigure the middle mouse button camera pan thing.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Please, Larian, add a confirmation to the "sell building" button on the map, or adjust it a little bit so that it is more distinct from the "buy unit" icon.
I keep selling my factories due to mis-clicking.

Also I wonder if the mechanic that units in a country can't move if that country is attacked in the same round could be exploited at chocke-points to prevent the enemy from starting an invasion there.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by El Zoido
Please, Larian, add a confirmation to the "sell building" button on the map, or adjust it a little bit so that it is more distinct from the "buy unit" icon.
I keep selling my factories due to mis-clicking.

Also I wonder if the mechanic that units in a country can't move if that country is attacked in the same round could be exploited at chocke-points to prevent the enemy from starting an invasion there.

there is an undo button ?
same amount of clicks for a confirmation and less annoying smile

journeyman
journeyman
That has to do with the turn order. If an enemy enters/passes your territory before your force has left, they encounter eachother, and the same goes for you when you move. When you are first, or when no enemy moves before you, you know exactly where the pieces will be during your move. Conversely, when I go last I often command my units to act attack (leave their defended countries) because they will not leave if their country is attacked.

The order changes every turn. (I think you go 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st and then 4th again. I also think this is mentioned in the manual or some other documentation.)

About the confirmation button: Do you know that there is an "undo" feature? You can press backspace or use the little button (turning arrow near the research buttons, I think). Undo should be a better solution, because it doesn't add extra steps when you do the right thing, and functionally it is simply more powerful than prompting to confirm. (You can cancel one operation, same as with confirm, or you can cancel several.)

Confirm/cancel and undo aren't mutually exclusive features, but confirm isn't strictly necessary where undo can be employed.

old hand
old hand
Oooooo

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
Soon.... smile

Larian Studios ‏@larianstudios 5h

"New Dragon Commander beta coming. Couple of big new features in there, including letting you change all the rules!

Pretty much lets you play DC as a dragon dogfight game, as a pure RTS, as a board game, as a tactical puzzle and more, all in multiplayer.

Should be there in a couple of hours - still some tweaks to do and then we'll put it on Steam"

WOOS
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Indeed, I didn't know about the undo feature (or rather I had read about it but quickly forgotten about it again wink ).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard