Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
The current implementation has a problem. I find your solution satisfactory. I consider mine preferable because it eliminates a minor gameplay complexity that I doubt will add to the experience: The need ensure that you do not prematurely lock yourself out from the dragon. It is true that your solution would eliminate most cases where this is a problem, but I'd prefer to eliminate it completely. And really, both changes are of trivial complexity on the coding side unless they have tied more than numeric value to these "persons". (Or if the exact number 0 has been assigned special significance, probably at AI level if so, but I don't see why that would happen.)

I would "burden" the player with this need for caution only if that necessity in itself improved the player's experience. In my own case, that has not happened. (But then, I have only experienced the obviously flawed/hindering implementation.)

Larian will probably do something to improve their new feature, and I'm sure they'll do well enough. Beyond that I also wanted to present them with the solution I consider best, and my reasons for it.

One question (answer if you will, I fear I may be going on too long about this matter of slight import): If the code complexity of either solution were negligible or otherwise irrelevant, would there still be a problem with my suggestion? (I assume that we both do not know the actual complexity of the task, although I share the impression that your approach would be utterly trivial to code.)

Last edited by Sinister; 24/07/13 01:55 PM.
veteran
veteran
If the code complexity of either solution were negligible, then yes, either solution would be fine.

I did actually forget that you can get recruits from conquering sites, so you're right, that is something that should be taken into account.

old hand
old hand
I'm having a problem on the new campaign map, though its probably not 100% related to this map.
It's the first battle of the campaign. 1 vs 1.

I have no transports and my dragon spawn is gone. However I have MASSIVE unit advantage. But I can't get to the islands where all these buildings and useless enemy troopers are.

The AI won't surrender. I won't surrender. And why should I Since I'm defending my own territory with overwhelming force. But I can't build shipyards / transports so I can't get to these satellite islands to finish him off.

Are transports no longer available initially without research?

Here is my situation:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163388909

Last edited by SniperHF; 24/07/13 08:09 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I have been thinking about that sort of scenario. If your side (you or ally) has not destroyed an enemy unit or structure for a long time, or conquered a construction site, or constructed a unit/building, then you should probably get a warning that you'll be forced to retreat (similar to the warning that happens when you're mostly wiped off the map, but with more time available). The time before you get this warning could depend on the overall balance of the battle (as displayed with coloured graphics on top). Also, it seems reasonable to favour the defender. Perhaps double the amount of time the defender can go without accomplishing anything.

Maybe 25 seconds + (0 to 100%) of 35 seconds for attacker and an extra 25 seconds for defender. (Specific numbers separate from the gist of the idea. And I figure it would take more than a few tries to establish a model that didn't force the weaker part to adopt suboptimal tactics.)

I'd simply favour the defender and call it mutual retreat, but that would favour flying units hiding over water in the four corners or some such exploit.

Either that, or a stalemate mode that kicks in whenever population is 0 and recruits below X (50?) where similar requirements are made (build something, conquer something, destroy something) and time constraints are more severe. A more purposeful stalemate adjudication.

Or stalemate resolution could look primarily at the predominant terrain and see if any side is without suitable units (sea, land; air units being worthless for this purpose) - if either side has no presence in the primary terrain, a warning to that effect is displayed, with a timer for retreat/defeat.

Note for your case: Transports are not researched from the get-go, at least they were not when I played on the new campaign map.

Can you mount a force of warlocks and shamans? (Or just warlocks?) They traverse water, and warlocks can attack (but a significant shaman support would probably aid them greatly).

Last edited by Sinister; 24/07/13 08:45 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sinister

Can you mount a force of warlocks and shamans? (Or just warlocks?) They traverse water, and warlocks can attack (but a significant shaman support would probably aid them greatly).

I could sell my buildings and get a dragon or build warlocks. But I don't have warlocks researched either and the new dragon rule is preventing me from using my dragon. Even though I could get enough recruits to use it.

It also seems dumb that transports are not researched by default since I started with a transport on the campaign map...

I just went ahead and save/loaded and auto-resolved it until I got a win. Since it should have been mine anyway.

Last edited by SniperHF; 24/07/13 08:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
Looks like 152 just dropped. Hope it doesn't wreck my campaign in progress lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SniperHF
I'm having a problem on the new campaign map, though its probably not 100% related to this map.
It's the first battle of the campaign. 1 vs 1.

Yes, Transports need to be researched on the new campaign map. Sneaky, huh?

Sinister - in Skirmish mode at least, there is a Stalemate timer. After the match lasts a while without notable fighting, the game prompts you to get on with it by warning if nothing happens in a minute, a stalemate is detected. Building a structure ends the timer, but it comes back after a little while if you go back to stalling.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Sneaky, huh?

Mostly annoying. Literally the first game I played ended up in a complete stalemate with no option other than retreat or quit. That can't be the desired outcome of battles.

Last edited by SniperHF; 24/07/13 09:18 PM.
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We're doing a lot to fix that part - it's not the idea that you get into stalemate situation. I expect those changes will be in tomorrow.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Yes, Transports need to be researched on the new campaign map.

Just for the mountain dragon.

veteran
veteran
Earlier I posted saying that I didn't think that a matchup of 1 Trooper (w/Enhanced Engines) and 1 Transport should have a 51% chance to beat 1 Hunter.

So I decided to test it against Watser. the first attempt was one transprt versus one hunter. The hunter seemed to win easily, but it foe a few free shots in because I hadn't ordered my Transport to attack it, so its AI very sensibly thought to run away.

The second attempt I sent a Trooper and Transport together, explicitly ordering them to engage the Hunter. The Hunter made short work of the Trooper, then started on the Transport. The fight actually ended in a draw, as their final shots finished the other off.

In conclusion, I was wrong, 50-50 odds for a Transport + Trooper versus a Hunter are probably pretty accurate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard