Pretty please Larian?

veteran
veteran
LOL....

I want to be the Swine King... :P

WOOS
addict
addict
Start counting the days, they fit on the fingers of just one of your hands.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Buy the game?

veteran
veteran
With under a week left, it seems a bit pointless for Larian to add a limited single-player into the beta - especially since the beta content can't be transferred to offset the need to download the full game anyway. This close to release, I'd rather not have to download an extra 2+ GB when I'll just have to do it again in a week.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jaedar
Pretty please Larian?

in 4 days smile

just have some patience

Support
Support

The English retail version (from the Larian Vault) isn't available until the 19th. But I agree, if it would be a large download for the first part of the single player campaign, it might not be worth it just to play over the weekend, for example (unless you got a beta key from the alienware giveaway and wanted to try the single player before pre-ordering).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

The English retail version (from the Larian Vault) isn't available until the 19th. But I agree, if it would be a large download for the first part of the single player campaign, it might not be worth it just to play over the weekend, for example (unless you got a beta key from the alienware giveaway and wanted to try the single player before pre-ordering).

But each retail version comes with codes for Steam and Gog, or not? So why no sending the download codes to the buyers/preorders of the English box version on August 6th???

WOOS
stranger
stranger
I agree. Just give beta testers early access to the full game. Why not?

We've all done our best to help you make this the best game it can be. Why not reward that?

Support
Support

LordCrash
Presumably the codes would have been put inside the box during production, so Larian would need to open the games to give people codes before shipping (unless they have some kind of barcode system where they can look up the codes for each copy, or something).

DevildogFF
You mean assuming it is done early enough? Larian will probably use as much time as they have to get as many updates as possible in the initial release.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

LordCrash
Presumably the codes would have been put inside the box during production, so Larian would need to open the games to give people codes before shipping (unless they have some kind of barcode system where they can look up the codes for each copy, or something).

Well, that's a very dumb idea because usually the codes are used by people who want to keep their box version "intact" for collection or stuff. If you open the box there is no use for a digital code if you can just install the game from DVD....

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Generally, when most people buy a product which comes in a package, it is not "a very dumb idea" to assume that they will open the package.

I don't know about you, but most people don't have extra money to drop on a game box that they will never open.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Generally, when most people buy a product which comes in a package, it is not "a very dumb idea" to assume that they will open the package.

I don't know about you, but most people don't have extra money to drop on a game box that they will never open.

You got my point wrong. This is only about the digital codes included in the box. There is just no point to include digital codes to a box version if you have to open the box to get them.

Usually digital codes are added to physical versions for collectors. That way they can preserve the box and just use the digital codes to play. Another reason to add digital codes to a box version is to enable your customers to play the game right from the start without having to wait until the box is shipped to them. If the digital codes are in the box neither of these reasons is valid.... smirk

Of course most people just want to play the game and open the box nevertheless. And in most cases these people install the game from the DVD and the digital download codes are just useless.....

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
some ppl just like to have the physical version

but whether you buy phyiscal or digital you still need the code to activate the game

Support
Support
Originally Posted by LordCrash
There is just no point to include digital codes to a box version if you have to open the box to get them.

Maybe there will be one seal around the DVD and another around the codes and sleeve, but if the codes are accessible outside the packaging, at some point during the distribution, storage or stocking process, some portion of the codes are going to go 'missing'.

Originally Posted by DragonCommander
whether you buy phyiscal or digital you still need the code to activate the game

There is no activation required, though you do need the Steam code use the Steamworks features. The GOG code is a DRM free digital backup (and possibly a way for people who do not have Steam to get additional languages or an eventual Linux version, if GOG adds Linux support by the time it is released).

old hand
old hand
So I am rather confused here. for those of us who ordered the (digital version not box) game via the kickstart do we get a steam code and the ability to back it up on gog? If we get the gog version do we also get a steam code for steamworks ?

Last edited by meme; 02/08/13 01:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think it works like this:

You do not get a GoG code if you bought the Steam version, and if you bought the GoG version you do not get a Steam key. If you bought the Larian Vault version you get a DRM free version and a Steam Key, but not a GoG key (because the Larian Vault is already a digital backup). If you bought the physical boxed copy, you get both a GoG key to back it up and a Steam key to activate it (hopefully you won't need to install the entire thing from Steam after installing from the disc.)

old hand
old hand
So if we purchased the kickstart version we should take the Larian version which also gives us the steam key ?

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard