Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You're playing a 4 player-sized strategy map with 2 players. That gives you a lot more freedom to expand wildly and get huge swathes of territory without opposition. Of course you're getting too much money and RP. If you play the 4-player map with 4 players, your income is a lot slower and it gets harder. Like I said, try playing the 4 player map with 4 players.

Look, please stop asking for alliances and trade. As much as you wish it, this game is not a 4X, it was not marketed as a 4X, and it was not designed to have a 4X depth of politics. Those were not removed from the multiplayer, they were never in single-player. *waves hand* This is not the 4X you are looking for. [/ jedi]

I don't agree that gold needs to be gained slower. Try the 4-player map with 4 players and see.

I did try 4 players just so you know and let me tell you, no difference whatsoever, the only difference was, that by the end, the last enemy was seriously weakened by the other neighbouring ai and was much easier to conquer.

the 1st 2nd ai died within the 1st 15-20 turns or so.

After researching armour i spammed in about 10-15 of them and wiped them out, ending the game the same way, just faster.

Note: the screenshot was made for demonstration purposes, and the reason why i only did 1v1 was because it is somewhat balanced compared to 1v1v1v1, since we both have a chance to cap half the map.

in 2v2 it took even less than 25 turns to win, due to a helper, who owned at least 40% of the map by the end.

Also ive never said that things like diplomacy or politics have to be complicated, nor that they had to be at the level of 4x games.
And please take a look at the raven phase in single player, when you make POLITICAL DECISIONS which, by your words, were never in single player.

Also the single player has politics in politics are also trade decisions and such(going by youtube vids), strategy map, and battle, of which the strategy map is turn based. It is 4x or has 4x elements (and not just a few of them). So adding in some stuff that would balance the game better isn't a bad thing.

Also, i don't know what i'd do better, but owning a larger territory makes it so that the enemy has very little chance to win, which could be balanced with different research techs, or political decisions or other stuff, i'm sure the ppl at larian could come up with something.

Of course it's a common thing that the bigger empire wins, im not saying that a small empire should be able to defend, but even 2-3 territories have such impact on incomes, that it gives you an edge over your enemies.

Last edited by Zolee; 06/08/13 01:09 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Zolee
I did try 4 players just so you know and let me tell you, no difference whatsoever, the only difference was, that by the end, the last enemy was seriously weakened by the other neighbouring ai and was much easier to conquer.

You could try 1v3. evil

veteran
veteran
Note: the screenshot was made for demonstration purposes, and the reason why i only did 1v1 was because it is somewhat balanced compared to 1v1v1v1, since we both have a chance to cap half the map.

In 1v1v1v1, each player tends to conquer about 25% of the map before the front lines are settled, instead of being able to grab half a continent before serious fighting happens.

Also ive never said that things like diplomacy or politics have to be complicated, please dont add words in my mouth ?jedi?
And please take a look at the raven phase in single player, when you make POLITICAL DECISIONS which, by your words, were never in single player.

I did not say that the single player has no political decisions. I quite explicitly said that the single player has no trade and there are no alliances (with enemy factions). That has not been taken out of multiplayer because it was never in.

I did go on to completely agree with you when I said that the existing single-player custom campaign looks like it could possibly be adopted for multiplayer, giving you the political decisions that you want.

However, This is not a 4X game, it was never marketed as a 4X game, 4X-similar features be damned. The fact that you're confusing this for a 4X game is your own problem. You've said that you want things like alliances (which would first require support for 6-8 players to be implemented) and trade (of what? There are no goods to trade.).

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Stabbey

In 1v1v1v1, each player tends to conquer about 25% of the map before the front lines are settled, instead of being able to grab half a continent before serious fighting happens.

Also ive never said that things like diplomacy or politics have to be complicated, please dont add words in my mouth ?jedi?

I did not say that the single player has no political decisions. I quite explicitly said that the single player has no trade and there are no alliances (with enemy factions). That has not been taken out of multiplayer because it was never in.

I did go on to completely agree with you when I said that the existing single-player custom campaign looks like it could possibly be adopted for multiplayer, giving you the political decisions that you want.

However, This is not a 4X game, it was never marketed as a 4X game, 4X-similar features be damned. The fact that you're confusing this for a 4X game is your own problem. You've said that you want things like alliances (which would first require support for 6-8 players to be implemented) and trade (of what? There are no goods to trade.).

ok, if it's not a 4x game(or game with 4x elements), than what is it? please enlighten me.

4X games are a genre of strategy video game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate".

lets see
-control an empire, check
-exploit, building gold mines, getting income from territories and political decisions that will allow you to exploit the people *looks at capitalist pig dwarf on the raven* check
-exterminate send armies and kill the enemy, check
-expand take over territories check

the only thing missing, is explore.

now than lets see

Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development
economic development *looks at gold mines* check
technological development *looks at research tree* check

well, looks 4x to me.

Trade(between players and/or ai not to make more gold, for which you can build gold mines...sorry my fault for not being clear on this.): gold, cards, research points. As for alliances/diplomacy, no need to implement 6-8 players, its enough if they add the option in, if every1 is on a different team. Don't think complicated. It's not.

Oh btw, if there was trading that would generate gold through trading post, the goods could be called, well...goods(just saying and would be generated by the trading post itself).

Also i apologise for misunderstanding you about the politics, the part before the /jedi part was a bit confusing.

Also i conquered a lot more than just 25% territory before serious fight ensued, in fact i conquered 1 of the enemies.

Last edited by Zolee; 06/08/13 02:41 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Explore kind of emphasize Fog of War . DC has everything in the open. You could see whatever your enemy built and you could see the entire campaign map. It isn't 4x could be 3x as you clearly stated initially in your previous post.

Last edited by henryv; 06/08/13 02:38 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by henryv
Explore kind of emphasize Fog of War . DC has everything in the open. You could see whatever your enemy built and you could see the entire campaign map. It isn't 4x could be 3x as you clearly stated initially in your previous post.

True, though exploring isnt much of a factor in these games anyways. Fine lets call this a 3x game lol

No exploring for us.

Last edited by Zolee; 06/08/13 02:45 AM.
addict
addict
Conflicts can be solved via RTS battles. That's a strong factor that says "not a 4x game", at least from my experience.

Also, it should be noted that Larian developed the game from good and fun ideas, not by choosing a genre and building a game to fit it.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Conflicts can be solved via RTS battles. That's a strong factor that says "not a 4x game", at least from my experience.

Also, it should be noted that Larian developed the game from good and fun ideas, not by choosing a genre and building a game to fit it.

Funny, in almost all of the 4x games conflicts can be solved in rts battles.

The only difference is, that in this, you need more skill than in other games, due to the fact that you can build buildings and units and turn into a giant, sometimes op dragon.

I know that they made the game out of fun ideas, and the game IS fun, its just that the mp campaign needs some more polish in order to make it better balanced and not so shallow. Did they add or change anything in it for release? didn't have the time to play it yet.

Btw, intentionally, or uninentionally, it turned into a game very similar to 4x games(only missing exploration).

However i'm not saying that it needs to become a complicated and/or deep 4x game, its perfectly fine if they only add single player-like features into multiplayer campaign. Something similar to the raven phase and generals would probably make it more balanced.

Also bringing back the turn times for research and unit making we saw in the initial videos would add depth to it, forcing you to actually think about what to make and where to send them and what to research instead of spamming units and research until your enemy is dead.

Note: these are merely my opinions, if i offended anyone i apologise.

Last edited by Zolee; 06/08/13 11:11 AM.
addict
addict

Note: these are merely my opinions, if i offended anyone i apologise.

If anyone feels offended, they should apologize, not you.

I don't have extensive experience with 4x games, and the only ones I've seen/played didn't include RTS battles. At all.

I do agree that one research (or one research per type/ one dragon, one unit) per turn added some good weight to choosing what to research and when.

So far, I've spent just some 3 hours with the single-player and I've enjoyed it. But it'll take a few more hours before I start getting critical of it :p

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
journeyman
journeyman
The recruit defection mechanism was not thoroughly tested and balanced, was it? It is very unfortunate. If I have a recruitment citadel disadvantage, any recruits gained through conquest of sites or sale of structures immediately goes to the other side; at least sooner than I can allocate them to the construction of a recruitment citadel. While I have enough power on the map to win without new units, it is really annoying that every bit of progress I make will supply the other side with fresh recruits.

And once you're in that situation, you're bound to hit 0 recruits, and then there's no way you're going to do all it takes to get 20 and use those 20 before they're gone.

They want the recruitment citadels to serve some purpose after the population has been depleted, right? Maybe they shouldn't. IF they are to be useful when there's nothing to recruit, maybe let some recruits come in still, but only to the side with most recruitment citadels, and at the rate of a single recruitment citadel only. (If sides tie for highest number, they share the recruitment; 2 sides get half rate)

I'll complete the battle, but how painfully slow this recruitment drain made it!

old hand
old hand
Well you can always shut it off I suppose.

journeyman
journeyman
You can? Oh... That's nice.
But I can't find the option. Not for single player. (I'm playing the campaign.)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sinister
You can? Oh... That's nice.
But I can't find the option. Not for single player. (I'm playing the campaign.)

This was the beta forum so I thought you were talking about skirmish hahaha . Yeah you can't shut it off for the main campaign or custom campaign far as I know. Though it would be a good option to add to the custom campaign IMO. All the custom settings MP has that is.

Support
Support

There will be an update soon to add advanced options for the game rules to the custom campaign.

Raze #471721 07/08/13 08:08 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze

There will be an update soon to add advanced options for the game rules to the custom campaign.

Cool.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard