Next Thread
Print Thread
#470692 01/08/13 03:37 AM
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I am having a hard time running the game. I receive the message the display driver stopped responding and my game temporarily goes to desktop and the after about a second goes back to the game.

I have Gforce gtx 550 ti and 4 gb ram

I am at a lost of what to do and I just purchased the game

The issues may make it unplayable

Any help would be appreciated I would hate to have just wasted $40

nomomnom #470697 01/08/13 05:06 AM
Support
Support

Do you just get this error with Divinity 2? There are a few causes for this (like overheating or an inadequate power supply) that would apply to any demanding application (DirectX games or video encoding), or some that would happen in anything (malware, hardware issues).

It sounds like just a problem with Divinity 2, though...

How often does this happen?

Is there anything in particular you are doing in-game when this happens, or does it seem random?

Have you tried lowering the graphics options or resolution?

Checked for updated drivers?

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, manage 3d settings, power management mode, change from adaptive to prefer maximum performance and apply changes.

In Windows Explorer, try browsing to the install folder, right clicking on the program (if you have the Developer's Cut version, Divinity2.exe is the standard version; Divinity2-debug has the Developer Mode cheat window enabled) and running the game as administrator. In the compatibility tab you could also disable desktop composition and try different compatibility modes.

Raze #470754 02/08/13 12:48 AM
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I played Dota2 and defiance with no issues. It seems like it happens mostly when the intensity picks up. When engaging units or lots of things going on seems to be the worst. While building units and just over viewing the map it doesn't seem that bad.

I lowered the graphics to as low as they could and the issue still persisted. It did seem like it might have eased up though.

I did make sure everything is up to date with windows and my drivers.

I also changed the nvidia control panel to maximum performance and ran as administrator.

Issue seemed to be less as frequent but it still happened.

nomomnom #470756 02/08/13 02:06 AM
Support
Support

Please email supportdc@larian.com, with a description of the problem and a dxdiag report.

(also, I'll move this to the DC beta forum)

nomomnom #471350 06/08/13 02:06 PM
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by nomomnom
I played Dota2 and defiance with no issues. It seems like it happens mostly when the intensity picks up. When engaging units or lots of things going on seems to be the worst. While building units and just over viewing the map it doesn't seem that bad.

I lowered the graphics to as low as they could and the issue still persisted. It did seem like it might have eased up though.

I did make sure everything is up to date with windows and my drivers.

I also changed the nvidia control panel to maximum performance and ran as administrator.

Issue seemed to be less as frequent but it still happened.

This problem might not be because of the game.
-Please make sure that the videocard is in the slot firmly, loosened videocards can cause a driver failure when intensity is high.

-Don't use beta nvidia drivers, they're known to have stability issues.

-If a windows hadn't been reinstalled for a long time, the registry gets full of trash data, some of which can cause some drivers to fail at times.

If none of these, than there might be 3 explanations:
-It's the game's fault(this might be the cause if none of the above helped you, but i'd start saving money for a new videocard/psu just in case).
-Your videocard is dying.
-Not enough power from psu for videocard when under high load, and so the nvidia driver glitches out.

Zolee #471796 08/08/13 01:44 AM
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Ok I am not using a beta driver I know that for sure

I don't think my windows has been reinstalled in a while, I did a complete system reset when I had the problem about 4 months ago when I had trouble playing DOTA2 and its been fine since

Is there any for sure way to know what the problem is. I am just tired of having the same issue but I don't want to go get 3 or 4 new pieces of hardware when it may be just one or the other.

Can I do some sort of check to see what the issue is.

When I started the game since release it actual blue screen kernel crashed on me as well.

nomomnom #471802 08/08/13 02:25 AM
Support
Support

Try another similarly demanding game. If it is a hardware issue, that should cause similar problems.

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard