Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#471924 08/08/13 04:11 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Aaaaaaaah what is better than returning home to enjoy the comfort of a warm fire, a sweet blanket and a delicious meal in your own house after a goblin genocide...
Very few games offer the possibility of having your own house : a safety place where you can return during your adventures.
D2 offered it with the Tower !!

I really hope there will be more or less the same "home place" in D:OS, and why not some few options, as the game offer us the possibility to move objects, we could redecorate the house as we want, we could even chose among different model in different location (hopefully not sold by this filthy bastard that is Willy).
we could pour our trophy, we could receive mails from neighbours or other persons that have heard about us, to congratulate us (or insult us, depending on our choices), to ask us somethign (this could be kind of secondary quests...) or many other options

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
journeyman
journeyman
I believe the Shelter Plane will serve the same purpose in D:OS.

addict
OP Offline
addict
yeah, right I completely forgot about that !!!

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

old hand
old hand
Sadly the RPG's that do offer a home never allow you to do much with it. One of the few good things about Dragon Age 2 was that there was more to your home than just being a place to store crap. You had to access to your formulas to create potions, poisons, runes and bombs and you also got letters from people some of which led to quests.

I've yet to play an RPG yet though where you get to literally sit down next to a fire place and watch as your character - with motion - grabs a cup of wine and drinks from it as you open up your journal in the other hand to read shit as your character rejuvenates simultaneously. You know, let my character get drunk at home, let him use the facilities there and invite companions for parties and intimate fun. That'll be good.

Mind you, The Firelink Shrine in Dark Souls kinda served as a home for my characters with The Fairlady's Sanctum being a home for two of them. In a game like DkS where most of the world is dangerous and its inhabitants out to kill you, returning to a bonfire kindled to the maximum *and* with a firekeeper is a luxury especially when you get the maximum Estus flasks as a result. Your character would literally rest at the bonfire and you could fiddle around in menus for as long as you liked repairing, leveling up, upgrading, storing and viewing items and assigning spells.

I think Original Sin will give that feel with its house/houses, where your companions rest and where you can store as much as you like and do what you wish with the furniture. I had a house back in Divine Divinity that I procured from George after he was murdered. Not only had I left a teleporter there (so I could teleport back and sleep in bed after a long day of killing) but my storage was there and I had taken it upon myself to add certain new furniture to the place that I was freely given by some peasants. I even added a map note on the map named "Home" for the house. I hope Original Sin allows us to do the same. That Shelter Plane sounds a tad bit...unhealthy. Who is to say it won't just collapse with reality considering it exists at the end of time?

Demonic #472195 09/08/13 05:53 PM
apprentice
apprentice
uh, first you need friends (or strangers), can't really work without them smile then you need a bit of fantasy. Engine comes as third. I've had my home in NWN persistent worlds. Even when engine could be considered a bit limited, a lot of things was done at that home smile Much more then any engine could do unless full motion scanner and VR comes as common (may Seven bless OR).

Anyway I like D2 tower. A bit simplistic but I liked the fight for it. Would be great to have that in D:OS. Could be even more interesting if f.e. broken things during the fight would mean they remain broken afterwards and needed more resources to repair them. Room rearrangement ala Runescape (a bit UO style, but that game have so many fresh ideas) would be great either. With biiig garden and zoo smile Or at least with ability to place trophies from big monsters (I wanna row of wolves heads) smile

And/or it was good to have home in NWN2 (singleplayer). One chapter was about improving your home, buying new rooms and buildings (it was castle with lands) and traveling to gain allies for upcoming battle. Then you command (place) groups of units you've convinced on your side (to first wall, outside, inside left, etc.) and then battle began. That was good.

Last edited by Elenoe; 09/08/13 06:07 PM.
Elenoe #472209 09/08/13 06:47 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
I like the idea of becoming a zoo keeper : we could create space in the garden where we could park different animals we could bring during our adventures. We would have to feed them and take care of them otherway they could make a mess in the garden, eating each other or dying hahahaha

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Link Copied to Clipboard