Page 1 of 2 1 2
#472090 09/08/13 09:51 AM
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Will you be forced to ever play as a female in this game?

I don't play such games, especially female-only games like tomb Raider or Mirror's Edge, so I would like to know.

Playing as a female would completely break the immersion and enjoyment of an RPG.

journeyman
journeyman
Don't worry ^^ in the beginning you had to have a female + male but after a while they removed that limitation so you can play with 2 males or 2 females or whatever you want ^^

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
No, neither of the characters you control have to be female.

But you should push your boundaries a bit, playing as a female in games won't hurt you I promise. Maybe try out a female avatar in Saints Row III.

Rack #472097 09/08/13 10:27 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Really male or female there's usually little difference in games. I usually play female characters but that doesn't stop me enjoying playing male characters (see Dragon Commander, Shadow of Memories, the Legacy of Kain games etc that I have in my gaming collection). I'm curious how you find an extra few pixels immersion breaking.

The most you'll get is someone referring to your character as being female, you also have the option of making the AI control the other party member, so you wouldn't even have to do anything even if you chose to play the male and not the female.

I'm also known as Tovarah.
Rack #472099 09/08/13 10:55 AM
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Rack

But you should push your boundaries a bit

Boundaries of what, virtual transvestism?
You don't make any sense.

Last edited by Pikosil; 09/08/13 10:55 AM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
This has a slight hint of troll.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Pikosil

Neither do you Mr.

"Playing as a female would completely break the immersion and enjoyment of an RPG."

I mean what the jolly old rogers is this pish posh chap?

An RPG is about creating a character and role-playing as them. If you're role-playing yourself in RPG's that must be very limiting. If you mean immersion breaking as in "females being stronger than males is unbelievable" then simply make an archery or magic based female character if you decide to play as one. Problem solved.

Either way the topic has been answered. You aren't forced to be a female and frankly I can't fathom where you gathered this information from. All Divinity games have allowed you to choose your gender as well as customize your character with the exception of Dragon Commander.

In any case looking for realism in a fantasy game is...well words evade me here but I'm sure someone can think of the correct term here.

Edit:

Oh you made a topic like this before four months back? Christ, take your misogyny out of here.

Last edited by Demonic; 09/08/13 03:16 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
well at the beginning you HAD to be a female + male in D : OS but after receiving stupid complaints like this Larian decided to allow you to choose your character's sex

Last edited by Regnox; 09/08/13 02:53 PM.
Regnox #472145 09/08/13 03:03 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I do find it extremely stupid to not play games because you have to play as a female... you're just stopping yourself from playing great games. "virtual transvestism" wow.... aren't you over reacting just a bit?

Regnox #472147 09/08/13 03:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Virtual transvestism?

[Linked Image]

Rack #472174 09/08/13 04:26 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Maybe try out a female avatar in Saints Row III.
Yeah smile that exactly often comes to my mind. That game is so absurd with female main character smile

Originally Posted by Innana
I'm curious how you find an extra few pixels immersion breaking.

that's actually pretty understandable. It's RolePlaying game. A lot of us play it differently then action games smile You take that role. You see the world throu your character eyes and if you ever played HCRP then your character has thoughts and dreams of his/her own. Some characters can simply be unbearable for experience. Nothing strange.

Boundaries of what, virtual transvestism? You don't make any sense.

of your mind. Every experience is good experience. It is always shame one denies any just because.. he is told so, he is closed to new things, he is lazy... smile

It's not changing personality or pretending to be someone else. It's creating a new one, different then you know from everyday. From the first post it almost seemed you know how it works.

Originally Posted by demonic
In any case looking for realism in a fantasy game is...well words evade me here but I'm sure someone can think of the correct term here.

ooo, oom, I know cheer Same as you create different character with different personalities to play as actually realities works same way. As people knows only themselves they experience mostly only one reality. Call it "real one". When it is nothing else then projection of any reality meets your own perception. And you don't call reality the Truth out there. You call that that perception of world outside.

And same it works with fantasies. Every book, every game, every single mind of other person (authors f.e.) creates another reality. With rules. As we have physical laws so does fantasy words. Different ones, but the same. So for your character there is another "real" reality. And for player there are two now. smile

But different properties of different realities doesn't make them any less "real" as they both are in the end just in our minds.

Last edited by Elenoe; 09/08/13 05:19 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

How on Rivellon does playing a female make you a virtual transvestite? THAT kind of attitude breaks you off from many good games just because the lead is female. Not only that but it makes you look like you are that... uncomfortable with your own sexuality. If you're a guy, and a straigt guy, does it really matter that you have a female party member? Have you never EVER had a female friend in your life?

I'm also known as Tovarah.
Inanna #472187 09/08/13 05:33 PM
Isn't a free choice wonderful? smile

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
addict
addict
Isn't making a fuss the opposite?

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Mann, du bist aber auch so ein Alpha mit Omega, Troll smile

That's what I meant.
If someeone does not like something he or she is not forced to purchase the product.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I don't play such games, especially female-only games like tomb Raider or Mirror's Edge, so I would like to know.

Playing as a female would completely break the immersion and enjoyment of an RPG.

I remember someone posting almost the exact same thing many a month ago....

Especially the last part. In any case. No. You can choose.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
I really hope TC is a prepubsecent.

These attitudes of his are... just so utterly ridiculous.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Rod Lightning

Me too, so I checked and it's the same guy:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30843&Number=461766#Post461766

However, when he asked that a few months ago we didn't know for certain that you could choose.

So... Why would playing as a female stop you from playing tomb raider or mirror's edge? Hell mirror's edge is all first person, you will only see the protagonist during the cutscenes.

Elenoe #472354 10/08/13 08:53 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by moktira
Originally Posted by Rod Lightning

Me too, so I checked and it's the same guy:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30843&Number=461766#Post461766

However, when he asked that a few months ago we didn't know for certain that you could choose.

Yeah I caught him out in my post above...

You two missed my detective work. You should be applauding me. I feel sad now...

frown

Originally Posted by Elenoe

ooo, oom, I know cheer Same as you create different character with different personalities to play as actually realities works same way. As people knows only themselves they experience mostly only one reality. Call it "real one". When it is nothing else then projection of any reality meets your own perception. And you don't call reality the Truth out there. You call that that perception of world outside.

And same it works with fantasies. Every book, every game, every single mind of other person (authors f.e.) creates another reality. With rules. As we have physical laws so does fantasy words. Different ones, but the same. So for your character there is another "real" reality. And for player there are two now. smile

But different properties of different realities doesn't make them any less "real" as they both are in the end just in our minds.

Is watching a show with a female protagonist the same? Games are no different. You just control the character. It's only you in the sense that you're controlling them. It's a separate entity though and playing as someone contrary to you is (well at least I find) is more fun than playing someone like you.

Last edited by Demonic; 10/08/13 08:54 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard