Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Demonic

Yeah I caught him out in my post above...

You two missed my detective work. You should be applauding me. I feel sad now...

frown

Apologies Demonic, I think when I initially read the thread your edit wasn't there and then when I looked later I replied to Rod's post. But you won so well done, I appluad your efforts wink

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Demonic
Is watching a show with a female protagonist the same? Games are no different. You just control the character.
is playing theater just about speaking remembered texts? If that would be true you would never seen Joker hospital scene at all.

Yup, it begins with just "I control the character". But it goes a LOT deeper. Well, there is really no reason for that for in singleplayer games. Or standard MMO's. As your character is railroad to engine and script usually so no room for own decisions. So you never reach that because nothing forces you.

But when start with RP and move from light RP more to hardcore one you will feel that need to improve and to let your character make decisions not you. And this is part of any good story when it needs to be believable. After that you even sense if writer writes his story (quests in games f.e.) just by putting letters down or if he actually describe another reality where he was.

Because if you only control your toon you just run throu isometric forest looking for red creature to get more xp. If you let your character do it he walks throu the forest, he feels the morning wind, he sees the bark on the tree and he avoids that big ants lair as he has no intention disturbing their everydays work. He is there for gathering some mushrooms for experiments.

Elenoe #472398 10/08/13 03:17 PM
old hand
old hand
What are you saying? That the character is you? The character is from your imagination and you've created them determining their beliefs and goals.

I suppose one could say about the character that you "become them" but I still think the OP is a misogynist. The guy couldn't even play Tomb Raider which has you playing Lara Croft, a preset character with predetermined attitudes and beliefs. The player simply "becomes her" to transverse the environment and kill bad guys but she speaks for herself and makes decisions herself. Due to this I imagine the OP has a problem with women or is insecure with himself.

Last edited by Demonic; 10/08/13 03:18 PM.
addict
addict
hehe this is kinda cute and sorta sad...another close minded male gamer. Let me guess you feel every lead should be male? honestly...I know ya are trolling (this is to the Original Poster btw <3) Look it's adorkable you got everyone riled up. But its clearly trolling. Also what would it matter if a female is in your team? Are you focusing on controlling the female? and if it's you want to control and be both at once...well my friends that some complex mental things going on!

I feel the need to explain the birds and the bees, but well this isn't the place. To the rest of you just lul it off.

*pat pats the OP on the back* Now pick up your trolly blocks and put them away. Girls might be icky, but they do exist *eye roll*

Ellary #472408 10/08/13 06:25 PM
addict
addict
Ok I think most of your reactions are out of proportions. You should accept that some people are not comfortable with the fact of playing girls in video games, and this for different reasons.
I remember that in the very begining of WoW, the guy playerd playing a female avatar were reamly often teased by other players...
Some others players just cannot project themself in a femal character.
From a personnal point of view there is a lot of game where I can play a male or a femal character (D2, pokemon, tomb raider, fable 3...) and some other where I tried but I do not like it (mass effect trilogy, diablo 3...) I think this is both a matter of context and of how the femal character is used in some games.

Why, because he does not like to play femal character, he would have problem with his sexuality, he would not be opened mind, he would be misogynist...? Please be yourself a bit more tolerant before pointing someone else's lack of tolerance

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
addict
addict
In a male based area, saying he hates playing females~ well its not ok, cause I don't like playing male characters. So yeah~ Now if you want to tell me it is ok for a male to want to abolish females from games...but it is not ok for a female to want to play a female lead...then we will have some problems..

main point. it's a game..it offers both genders and full party tweaking.

Ellary #472416 10/08/13 07:03 PM
addict
addict
I did not say that all character have to be male character -_- I took his example because you are hanging him... but the opposit is also true. I like the fact that the game give you the choice of your gender

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

addict
addict
not saying just you~ hehe. I will "hang" him I guess if he wants the attention. Everyone is getting up in arms and making points. Small lil battles which only please a troll poster.

have any of you taken the time to notice the OP has said nothing?~ I mean c'mon. hehe

Every gamer regardless of age knows that games will have either male or female in them, and that the lead might be a diff gender. So to me this was a fight post and well a lot of people are falling into.

edited~ I forgot the r on the end of gamer =p

Last edited by Ellary; 10/08/13 07:47 PM.
Ellary #472421 10/08/13 07:41 PM
For me, gender is almost entirely connected to what role I am to play.
Nimble, agile and dexterous? Female character, because it just looks odd to watch a male move gracefully.
More bulky? Male, because being bulky is a male sort of thing

This is of course just a general outline.

stranger
stranger
This point was raised during the Kickstarter. Anyway, iirc you can play in any of the 4 combinations: m/m; m/f; f/m; and f/f.

However, I seem to recall there was one caveat for multiplayer: if the hosting player has a m/f setup and a second player "drops in", (s)he may well end up playing a female ("second player" cannot change his assigned character).

And a final note to the OP: it's your choice, but I think you're missing out on some great games – Beyond Good and Evil, The Longest Journey, A Dance with Rogues and Demon Heart (both NWN1 mods) all feature female protagonists.

2 + 2 = 5 (for sufficiently large values of 2)
old hand
old hand
Yeah but those NWN modules feature an obligatory rape of the protagonist completely animated. I don't think they are the type of mods to recommend to the OP or anyone else looking for a "strong female character".

I almost always choose a female character. If I'm bound to watch (the back of) a character over 50 hours, it better be good to look at. wink

To be honest I don't see the issue if we would be forced a m/f party.

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
enthusiast
enthusiast
it won't break immersion to play the other gender.

i had no problems being immersed in Beyond Good and Evil, or playing Chris's Chapters in Suikoden 3.

addict
addict
hmmmm I still have to play beyond good and evil^^

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Chaotica
hmmmm I still have to play beyond good and evil^^

I still want to know more about what is happening with the remake/sequel hehe. It was announced a few years ago, no clue if it was scrapped or what XD.

addict
addict
Beyond good and evil 2 is now suspended... -_-
but there is a remake HD on Xbox30 and PS3 (only available via the online store)

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

watser #472846 13/08/13 03:27 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by watser
because it just looks odd to watch a male move gracefully.

Assasin Creed anyone? smile Thief, Sleeping Dogs..

Originally Posted by watser
More bulky? Male, because being bulky is a male sort of thing

well.. I've played with one girl who played fat orcish warrior in NWN, so my illusions are away on that either smile

Just for reminding that it can feel "general" but in the end it doesn't really matter at all. Same as shield carrying paladin Aribeth hasn't looked strange.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard