Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#471921 08/08/13 04:02 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
hmmmm I feel concern about the fact that one of the character can walk along and do his own business without any time control when the other one is fighting...
The truth is, there is here a big breach for cheaters :
When you fight alone and you are in trouble, you just have to wait that your mate come to help you as it is a turn-based system, you can "interrupt" the fight if you do not chose any action. This, IMO, should not be really RP.
As a solution, I suggest to include a time limit to chose your actions during a fight.

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
veteran
veteran
I don't think that will happen, because Larian is in fact specifically calling that an intended feature.

apprentice
apprentice
They have confirmed already that there will be an option when you start up your game to have turns have time limits

Reki #472068 09/08/13 07:05 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not seeing where is the cheating here? You are supposed to with wit your second companion in battles so how is him coming to help you in battle = cheating?
You lost me here.

Kein #472069 09/08/13 07:10 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kein
I'm not seeing where is the cheating here? You are supposed to with wit your second companion in battles so how is him coming to help you in battle = cheating?
You lost me here.
I think the idea is it could be considered cheap to just sit there in combat, not doing anything, while your ally does whatever, maybe grabs a buncha health potions, and comes and saves you from a situation where you would have died otherwise.

Reki #472128 09/08/13 01:07 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I don't see it as cheating, more as much welcome flexibility.

Without it, I can immediately see the "DUDE YOU STARTED THE FIGHT WITHOUT ME" scenarios happening smile

boe2 #472200 09/08/13 06:15 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yeah it is a kind of cheating in my opinion and it makes the game less "real"

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

apprentice
apprentice
avoid metagaming is always on player shoulders (if they sign for RP)

Reki #472347 10/08/13 08:30 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Reki
Originally Posted by Kein
You lost me here.
I think the idea is it could be considered cheap to just sit there in combat, not doing anything, while your ally does whatever, maybe grabs a buncha health potions, and comes and saves you from a situation where you would have died otherwise.

You completely rephrased his words and gave different meaning to his original question.

The issue you are now pointing at is an old one and we discussed it many times before. I don't recall particular reply from Larian, but someone mention this aspect is known and they are looking for the best solution.

But this is now what he asked about in OP. His concerns are unfounded, is a special feature to be able to move freely in real-time and be able to join any combat mode nearby to help allies. This is not cheating.

Kein #472420 10/08/13 07:32 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Someone brought this up at the fan day. Apparently there's nothing to stop you just waiting for your partner to join the fight, but this may be changed later if it helps to balance the game.

addict
addict
hmm I would not worry ^^, this is not an MMO. So who you play with will be a friend more then likely. If the game does have some sort of random game finder. I am more then sure they will take all things into account ^^

oh oh and remember! they are giving the creation tools~ and ya know how modders are! I could see a time limit mod being made fast for those who also want harder combat.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Yeah this is a good option, either larian should leave the choice to the gamer for more "flexibility" in the difficulty modes or a modder might make a mod. Nice idea ellary

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

stranger
stranger
Hi there! I'm the "someone" who brought this up at the Fan Day after having read the original post here ( wave @ Helena), and they'll think about it.

*Maybe* (insert the usual disclaimers!) they'll implement some kind of timer; for instance, the player actually *in* combat has to take a turn every 5 minutes.
Also, remember the game is still in Alpha, or maybe even pre-Alpha... things are bound to change...

2 + 2 = 5 (for sufficiently large values of 2)
journeyman
journeyman
Unless you're worried about accidentally cheating and making the experience too easy for yourself (taking too long on turns, accidentally allowing your teammate to get there in time) I do not see any use for a "cheat" prevention measure.

Until some kind of opposed/competitive gameplay comes along. If ever.

I do not cheat on purpose unless fair play has ceased to be entertaining. Once fair play has become unfun, some cheap/cheat/exploit-features might be what you need to get back to the good parts, or rekindle your interest. The latter mostly not likely. Hopefully it is all unnecessary for this game. But preventing it also seems unnecessary.

stranger
stranger
Personally I'd say the best idea would be to add an option when creating a co-op game which allows you to select how the combat situation works - ie set to to a timer for moves for those who are concerned about this issue, and allow it to be set to no timer for those who are not concerned about this issue. Just need to make sure that anyone joining the game knows exactly which way this option is set, so they can decide if they really want to join or not.

I feel this is the best option, as it satisfies both groups without forcing one group's playstyle on the other. Both groups can play the game the way they want, without feeling like they are being forced into something they do not like.

However, as has been pointed out - even if no option is added, if there is a demand for it then likely there will be mod(s) created to allow/force this kind of thing - assuming the game engine actually allows for it. You just need to look at most other games which allow modding - people have created mods to adjust gameplay to satisfy how they want to play (harder gameplay, more detailed gameplay, etc).

Link Copied to Clipboard