Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#474348 05/10/13 04:50 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
From the QA on twitch, it was mentioned that the other races couldn't be implemented in the game due to size. Why not have them make appearances?

It would be interesting talking to a dwarf as he goes on about the golden river in the Dwarven Halls or the Elves as they talk about the lush green forests. The best part is that they can really exaggerate things.

"The city of dwarves has a golden river, a river brighter then the sun. Upon every house there are gem stones only found within our halls."

"The land of the elves are very protected. Our forest is that of a great labyrinth that many adventurers would sooner starve to death then find our village."

It would be a shame for these other races to be totally cut from the game. It was one of the things that hurt Divinity II when them being totally cut out.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wait, there will be no dwarves?

Why, in God's name, have I backed this game.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
addict
addict
Bit of an inconsistency, concerning the world it takes place in. Then again, Divinity 2 suffered the same.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #474354 05/10/13 03:03 PM
Support
Support

For Larian's next few projects using the new engine, there will presumably be much less work needed on the engine itself, so more resources can be devoted to content. If they still don't think they can include all or multiple races, then IMNSHO Larian should focus on non-human races.

Raze #474360 06/10/13 02:05 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, Non humans always seem to get shafted in alot of Fantasy and sci fi franchises in favor of Humans, which boggles my mind.

i am in favor of more games forgoing the traditional human protagonist in favor of a non human one.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
All I can say is that I absolutely love having non-human characters being playable. I am more than sick of playing humans only, or even human looking races. I would love to be able to play the Lizards, Undead or even the Imps. It would be brilliant!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm hoping that we can have non-human races playable in the editor for our own fan based content. As for the main game itself, I think this would cause too many issues to implement at this stage of the game.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Being able to have the option to play as a different race would be nice as I'm too bored of playing as a human; I'm playing as the Lizard in Skyrim for instance. However if it means more time and money to implement this then I'd rather Larian just get the game out as planned. I suppose they also need to have some money left over to finance future projects, staff wages etc rather than blowing it all on D:OS and relying on income from game sales.

Having these races totally cut from the game though even as NPC's is a shame as correct me if I'm wrong, I can't see how much more work would be needed. Just need new character models art, skins, textures etc. Voice acting may be a problem though but isn't there software that can change existing human voices to sound well, more dwarfey? Is that even a word? smile

Last edited by Arokh; 06/10/13 01:54 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #474373 06/10/13 02:41 PM
Support
Support

There wouldn't be a lot of extra work to have NPCs of a different race in the game, I don't think. Having different races in the game, though (to do properly), would mean separate areas in the world, different designs for items and architecture, more quests and dialog, etc, so quite a bit of extra work.

Raze #474376 06/10/13 05:43 PM
addict
addict
Add that each race needs its own lore, race relations, how the players influence both.

While I'd also love to play an imp, I'm more interested in how the world you play the game in is, including diversity.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #474378 06/10/13 06:18 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah to do it properly would require a ton of more work but they could add some other races as NPC's such as have them in taverns as fillers rather than quest givers. Talking to them would just produce generic responses. That would do rather than cut them out altogether.

The argument to that I suppose is if you are going to add them you might as well do it properly or not at all. I see your points.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #474404 07/10/13 11:13 AM
addict
addict
I do not mind that wa can only play humans but I am really worried about the fact that we will not meet any non-human races. I know that it would mean some work but come on !! this is a fantastic world, that would be such a shame not to see dwarfs or elves or other races (except orcs...) !!

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Chaotica #474446 09/10/13 03:47 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Finally, no elves or dwarves. Every fucking fantasy universe has them and they're tiresome unless they come with a different mentality.

If it is size why not squeeze models like in 1999? wink

rattle #474450 10/10/13 06:17 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
would be nice if we could get in expansion down the line for it or something.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
would be nice if we could get in expansion down the line for it or something.

This.

Divinity original Sin is pretty ambitious as it is. On top of that Kickstarter (with schedules, megadungeon, weather and what not) made the scope of the project way more gigantic than initially planned.

Let Larian release D:OS without straddling ti with additional features, which might not add that much to the already meaty game.

Lik3 how DKS was, they can always re-tinker/introduce new races in an expansion. And, as this is a sandboxy non-linear game, re-playability value will be plenty. there is the Editor on top of that

Link Copied to Clipboard