Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#474346 05/10/13 04:13 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Was watching the recorded Q&A and just saw where the term "loot explosion" was mentioned.

This was actually a feature in Divinity: Sword of Lies where when a character died they had a bunch of objects drop on the ground. This has also be called a death pile.

In Diablo (and some other games) when the monster dies, the items appear to blow up by flying in the air and then landing on the ground in a scattered mess.

In Divinity 2, this was replaced by the floating loot bags.

So, will there be loot explosions in the game?

Last edited by LightningLockey; 05/10/13 04:14 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Something similar was also in Beyond Divinity - especially notable if a merchant died, because they dropped a ton of stuff all at once.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm not too worried about this feature, I'm sure it is in there and we just didn't see it yet.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Lootsplosion = loot that can get stuck in unreachable places.
Loot bag = not as fancy.

That's my opinion on the matter :p (a.k.a. both work, the 2nd is a bit more boring than the first, but you shouldn't lose as much loot because of it.)

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
veteran
veteran
A) It's actually possible to make it so that loot doesn't fly away into the stratosphere. See: Titan Quest, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

B) There's no need for Original Sin to have an literal explosion sending loot flying hard enough that it getting stuck is a possibility.

old hand
old hand
Flying loot - that we have to snatch from the air; sounds good to me !

Well, there is no reason why loots couldn't have it's own physics so it bounces off objects / boundaries.

But yea, since D:OS is not an ARPG I don't see loot explosions being something that would be worth putting in.

Though count my vote in for flying loot grabs laugh

Or, super secret platformer levels where you go all Mario like for the super secret loot.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by meme
Flying loot - that we have to snatch from the air; sounds good to me !

Sounds like an odd and humerous subquest involving an imp.

apprentice
apprentice
loot piniata, loot explosion, death pile, all different terms for the same thing: Kill the enemy, a bunch of loot literally pops out. It feels a lot more rewarding than showing a sparkling corpse that you have to click.

old hand
old hand
Woudln't it be neat if your character could take damage (and possibly die) from a loot explosion smile
-
Ya gotta dodge those heavy plates falling all around you ....

stranger
stranger
Guys, this is NOT a diablo2/torchlight/titan quest clone. Loot Explosions will just make sorting/picking/comparing through it cumbersome.

Looting a dead corpse on the other hand feels more classic RPGish (perhaps equipped weapon could be an exception?)

Link Copied to Clipboard