Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
theBlackDragon #475554 03/12/13 03:16 PM
old hand
old hand
I can think of only three reasons there is not a 'real alpha':
a) They did extensive internal or private testing and realize that alpha wasn't needed
b) They have confident that the game is in better shape than expected and don't need an alpha
(a or b might be quite feasible as they have had 'crude' alpha for over a year now)
c) they are way behind schedule and are trying to compress the time line to meet a specific date of delivery (the only real risk I see with (c) is that the game is in such poor state that testers can't give reasonable feedback).
-
I suppose there are other options that did not occur to me at the time I wrote this post (though they might occur to me the minute I hit submit) but i strongly suspect it is a combination of all three.

Kein #475560 03/12/13 06:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can certainly appreciate that BlackDragon and I'm glad you expressed it.

I think in that sense it is disappointing though as you say understandable and not a dramatic concern in this case. I suppose that's just the way the cookie crumbled this time, I don't think Larian planned it this way. It seems to me more a result of the timing (and success) of the kicktstarter, coupled with Larian's highly iterative style of development and the importance of Original Sin's success to them as a company. They've put a lot of love into this baby.

Originally Posted by Kein

You can't please everyone. Nor Larian nor anyone else able to do it.

You can't even totally please anyone wink

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
meme #475726 09/12/13 08:40 AM
addict
addict
@J747L and @Raze : cant believe you felt trolled by my obviously dorky post AND even had a discussion about it grin
to be honest, i find this very funny; sorry grin
i never meant to be serious in any shape or form. i also did not want to troll or bait someone.
it was just a dorky/ironic post i found funny (you know, tastes and humor differ). and i found it to be ironic, b/c it is obviously obvious that you cannot deliver a picture of a state of "... [not] put on hold, just announcements for it." grin

well, never mind it

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
4verse #475729 09/12/13 11:02 AM
addict
addict
Bit late and offtopic to say that.

But what do you expect? The internet only conveys words, not tone, body language, whatnot.

Also, someone had a bone to pick, and they couldn't put it off no more and Raze is a moderator, pretty much obligated to keep the peace and not be prejudiced.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #475730 09/12/13 12:28 PM
addict
addict
@eintroll: i agree. i did not mean to criticise, and i am sorry if my post reads like that.

my point was/is:
1) i did not mean to troll at all
2) i just found it a funny statement
3) i find it funny that my durky post actually "spawned" a discussion, b/c my post was in no way worth even mentioning
5) i do apologize if i caused any trouble

and you are again right - my "answer" was in fact a bit late, but i saw the reactions only a few hours ago.

Last edited by 4verse; 09/12/13 12:30 PM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
4verse #475734 09/12/13 01:55 PM
addict
addict
Someone with free time at Thursday should look at this : https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian Swen invites 6 "weresheeps" for a testplay at thursday.

X-tasy #475738 09/12/13 03:19 PM
old hand
old hand
Death to the weresheeps; the most despicable sheep ever to walk the face of the land.

On a more serious note I really dislike this behavior and think i should move on.

meme #475741 09/12/13 06:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Have to say it again: focus on some individuals is the wrong strategy for a kickstarter.

Nemisis_Dragon #475742 09/12/13 06:32 PM
addict
addict
I think every fan is allowed at thursday smile

X-tasy #475743 09/12/13 07:05 PM
stranger
stranger
Dosn`t look like it. When i read Swen`s twitter feed I sometimes feel like the game will only get released when every single person that he had shown the game tells him it is perfect...

Not holding my breath anymore and just when I had calmed down I had to read his twitter again...

@ Nemisis_Dragon

My thought excatly...

Last edited by Ancoron; 09/12/13 07:06 PM.
X-tasy #475745 09/12/13 07:16 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by X-tasy
Someone with free time at Thursday should look at this : https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian Swen invites 6 "weresheeps" for a testplay at thursday.

Alas, gotta work, as do most working people I assume. Bit too short notice to change my holiday planning.

Just throw it out there I'd say, it's supposed to be an alpha if it's gotta be "perfect" you're doing alpha (and beta) wrong... (but I can sympathize, I'm terrible at releasing software I personally don't feel is either really useful or near perfect. Of course, this means I don't release software often...well, as an individual anyway.)

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
theBlackDragon #475746 09/12/13 07:46 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
From the comment section on Kickstarter:

Hi all, we're aiming for either this week or latest next week to release the alpha. No promises on the exact date, but the list of things we want to fix before giving it to you is finite & is getting smaller real fast. The reason we keep on postponing is really simple - we want want your first contact with DOS to be an enjoyable one instead of a frustrating one, and that requires there to be a certain level of polish in place. There's about 7 to 10 hours of gameplay we're thinking of releasing with the first version of the alpha and that means that just testing one build already takes an entire day, meaning that progress isn't as fast as we'd necessarily want it to be. Believe me, we're very anxious to hear what you'll think about the work we did. Also, I think it's likely we'll release single player before multiplayer because we still need to get some lobby systems in place. /swen

Elwyn #475785 11/12/13 02:35 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I think he was just using weresheep as a synonym for fans. He did say that wooses were welcome as well as woosers ;-)

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
X-tasy #475793 11/12/13 04:16 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by X-tasy

Let me just grab my ticket to Belgium :3

Robcat #475799 11/12/13 10:54 AM
addict
addict
But I'm a troll. I can't not be a troll, physiology doesn't work that way. This makes me feel excluded frown

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
EinTroll #475803 11/12/13 11:40 AM
apprentice
apprentice
I guess I can arise from the dead and show my face on the forums once again. Looking forward to next week.

StromIV #475804 11/12/13 11:48 AM
addict
addict
guys, few days before finally experiencing the "old Rivellon" !!! I can't wait, I can't wait !!!

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Chaotica #475805 11/12/13 12:51 PM
apprentice
apprentice
The character models look disgusting. I hope to release this will be fixed.
[Linked Image]

Pointman #475807 11/12/13 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pointman
The character models look disgusting. I hope to release this will be fixed.
[Linked Image]

I was more shocked by the ads on that page the picture is hosted on. biggrin

Last edited by Dexyd; 11/12/13 01:33 PM.

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
Dexyd #475812 11/12/13 02:54 PM
well.. i cant freaking wait for sure

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard