Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Sorry if this was asked already, but I would like to ask if buying D:OS as an addon from larian vault from kickstarter would yield an alpha access. If this is so, I would like to buy additional copies before the alpha access go live so I could give it out for those people that haven't heard of the company at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by henryv; 15/12/13 08:21 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Support
Support

I would think so, but you might want to email kickstarter@larian.com, to double check that. Larian confirmed people with 2 copies of the game in their tier would get a second alpha key when multiplayer gets added to the alpha (the initial release will single player only, until they get some issues sorted out with the online multiplayer), but I don't recall if add-on versions of the game were specifically mentioned.

Originally Posted by henryv
Sorry if this was asked already, but I would like to ask if buying D:OS as an addon from larian vault from kickstarter would yield an alpha access. If this is so, I would like to buy additional copies before the alpha access go live so I could give it out for those people that haven't heard of the company at all.

Thanks!

DOS isn't an add-on. Alpha-access will be given ONLY to kickstarter-backers at first, so you won't get alpha access with anything you buy now--it's too late.

Sometime in the future, probably, the alpha will be made available to all people who pre-order. When that happens, yes, you can get a steam key for the beta even if you pre-order the game through the LarianVault.

(All of this was explained during the live stream a couple days ago).

Support
Support

You could get extra copies of D:OS as an add-on to any kickstarter tier (at $25 or higher).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

You could get extra copies of D:OS as an add-on to any kickstarter tier (at $25 or higher).

do you mean it is possible to get add-ons in the vault? b/c i dont see a corresponding option in the vault. all i see is "mangae addons", where i am told that my balance does not allow addons. but i also have no (or dont see an) option to add money to my balance????

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
addict
addict
he was talking, I think for the ones who pledged for the alpha and beta and got a refund.

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
addict
addict
ah, i see. thx

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 4verse

do you mean it is possible to get add-ons in the vault? b/c i dont see a corresponding option in the vault. all i see is "mangae addons", where i am told that my balance does not allow addons. but i also have no (or dont see an) option to add money to my balance????

Originally Posted by Chaotica
he was talking, I think for the ones who pledged for the alpha and beta and got a refund.

I still got $60+ balance in my kick starter account even without the alpha/beta access refunds, and I believe the alpha/beta access has not yet been refunded.

I'll get additional 3 D:OS digital download. I'm not interested in the other goodies anyways (except for the forum badge and divine divinity.. the T-shirt is tempting though).

[Linked Image]

Question about Steam/Larian Vault. If I buy from Larian Vault, will I still get the alpha key access? I changed steam as a distributor so I could get alpha access based on the statement made by the kickstarter update. Also, can the key from larian vault be linked up with Steam? Thanks!

Last edited by henryv; 16/12/13 02:25 PM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Support
Support

I don't think you would need to switch your delivery method to receive alpha keys (that wasn't necessary for Dragon Commander, and it would be overly convoluted to have everyone who doesn't want the final game on Steam to switch to Steam to get a key and then remember to switch back before release).

At least for Dragon Commander getting the game through the Larian Vault also provided a Steam key.

henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If I download from Larian Vault, can I still link up the game via steam and be able to join the community on it? That's my concern when I asked the 2nd question.

After googling an answer, I think I'll buy it from vault, and then link it to steam. I just don't know how it will affect the bottom line of larian though. This is also my concern. If it is redundant anyways, I'll just buy directly to steam.

Originally Posted by montylee

link post

From update!

I got it working without downloading it thru steam. Here's the process:

1) If Steam is installed in C:\, either install the game to C:\Steam\steamapps\common folder or copy your UT3 installation to C:\Steam\steamapps\common\"unreal tournament 3" folder (without the quotes).
2) Right click on "unreal tournament 3" folder, select properties and uncheck the "Read-Only" checkbox and click ok.
3) Start Steam and install game thru it. Steam will download some stuff (around 200-300MB) and link the installation.

After this, you can run the game directly thru Steam and see ur UT3 achievements just like you do for TF2

Support
Support

I don't think the Larian Vault version will be able to directly link to Steam. The other variation I've seen recommended to avoid re-installing the Steam version is to start the install and then pause it, move/copy the non-Steam install folder to the Steam location, then in Steam verify integrity of the local files.

In general it is better to buy directly from a developer's store. AFAIK Steam doesn't charge developers anything to create keys.

henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I don't think the Larian Vault version will be able to directly link to Steam. The other variation I've seen recommended to avoid re-installing the Steam version is to start the install and then pause it, move/copy the non-Steam install folder to the Steam location, then in Steam verify integrity of the local files.

In general it is better to buy directly from a developer's store. AFAIK Steam doesn't charge developers anything to create keys.

EDIT: I'm getting larian vault as distributor. Thanks Raze!

Last edited by henryv; 17/12/13 02:26 AM. Reason: ESL sucks

enthusiast
enthusiast
At least for Dragon Commander getting the game through the Larian Vault also provided a Steam key.

I hope they do it this way once again. While Steam is convenient I've already had so much trouble with it when on the road without network connection that I definitely do not want to depend solely on it being in a good mood.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
Support
Support

The release will be DRM free, so even if Steam doesn't like not having a connection, you can start the game directly, and not even load the Steam client (same with the other Divinity games on Steam).

enthusiast
enthusiast

The release will be DRM free, so even if Steam doesn't like not having a connection, you can start the game directly, and not even load the Steam client (same with the other Divinity games on Steam).

Ah, didn't even know that was possible with Steam, thanks for the very useful info!

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The release answers my question. Only one Key per backer. I don't know when they will implement an additional alpha key for those who bought the duo packs though.

Support
Support

There may be a second key available for those who have 2 copies in their tier when the second alpha is released in January, with the addition of multi-player (and other stuff).

apprentice
apprentice
Open pre-order and let all who purchased the game access to the alpha / beta.

Link Copied to Clipboard