Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bourne
I can't carry more than 199 gold. Anyone else having the same problem?

No, I have carried and spent several hundred gold, so there's something strange happening there for you.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
B
B
I played for a couple of hours this morning and here are some other issues I've encountered:

- Graphical weirdness once you start getting out of bounds. The way the textures and the sea interact at the edge of the game world is rather odd-looking:

[Linked Image]

If you keep scrolling, you will end up in an endless grey void interspersed with what I assume to be game assets:

[Linked Image]

This is only a 'problem' if you go out of your way to scroll past the edge of the world, and I assume Larian will end up making that impossible to do in the first place.

- At one point while (quick)loading, the game told me I would 'loose' all my unsaved progress.

- Not only does the use of Teleportation not turn neutrals hostile, as reported by others, it doesn't even provoke hostile creatures. I used it on one of the crabs while out of aggro range, and nothing happened.

- Teleportation seems to trivialize locked doors and make lockpicking unnecessary. I also don't know how I'm even supposed to lockpick, though this might be my own fault.

- Skills: Quickwitted seems like a no-brainer for any character, and some of the skills seem vastly more useful than others. It is also not clear to me what the difference is between Fleetfooted and Rosycheeked. According to their descriptions, they both increase your AP.

- The animation of running NPC's looks rather goofy because they flail their arms around a little too much. smile

- The use of Whirlwind can cause your character to end up on the same spot as an enemy NPC, making them clip through each other.

- I saw this line during some flavor dialogue between two of the NPC guards at the Warehouse: 'if there are no thieves, why would be guarding this place'. The word 'we' seems to be missing.

- At one point during your conversation with Aereus, he says 'are spoiling for a fight, hunter'? 'You' is missing.

- In my second playthrough where I left the drunken soldiers alive, the character model of the legionnaire running back to check on them disappeared as he approached the bridge. I haven't tried to replicate this, so I don't know if it's a recurring bug.

- I have framerate drops and stutters from time to time, especially near the Market and the King Crab Tavern. I don't know what the trigger is, but I don't think it has anything to do with my rig. The refresh rate also seems off.

Other than the framerate issue, the alpha has been completely stable for me from a technical point of view. The pathfinding is also really good already.

The main interface issues for me right now have already been mentioned; it's the fog of war constantly resetting and new completed quests not automatically being filtered. I'm having a lot of fun, but I think I'm going to wait until they patch this before I continue playing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Indira Weresheep
Eldiora: Yeah, that handholding is the worst. I love to do all that delving and exploring on my own without any exclamation marks and magically lit markers along the floors showing you the dragon's den and the treasure and all they way to the end.

same here,i have yet to feel utterly lost so I don't think more handholding should be applied smile don't think larian is a fan of that either

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
Bittereinder: Nice feedback! Thank you.

I have played an hour more, doing everything weird and being through in interacting with all containers and movable objects. It has been surprisingly stable for an early alpha so far. Even without music and a few question marks for missing graphics for items, it has been a very moody RPG experience.

I have been set on destroying doors, chests and even a palisade set in a creek, and they do succumb to myself after a while. However, all the values of resistance etc are all question marks, so I don't know why I succeed. I just see the hp bar for the object slowly shrinking as I kick the object, dealing like 3-6 damage per stomp depending on object and character. Unfortunately, the damage done to an object seems boringly stable. It's always the same, like 3, 3, 3, 3... I'd like to see randomly generated damage and even crits while you kick away at something. And speaking of that creek palisade, it didn't make any sense. Since, when I destroyed it, I could still not walk up the creek after having removed it.

Also, I'll continue to discuss the problem with damaging friendlies or neutrals in combat and out of combat. I think the solution is to have a pop up or something warning that this action will damage this faction before we execute an attack - at least something along the lines of that red hand showing up when you steal something.

On an unrelated note: Can you use a fishing rod? I tried, but it didn't let me.

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
dwelf: Indeed! smile However, I hope that you agree that a faster and easier way to level up via some shortcut button wouldn't be too much handholding? I had the same problem playing Divine Divinity. I wished that they just let you jump right to the stuff being levelled up if you pressed on the level up-arrow on the character portraits, for instance.

Furthermore, wouldn't it be nice if R and S didn't level up in sync? So far, they have done so. I'd much rather see them gaining experience each on their own individual accord.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Loxorz
Design

* Stilettos/high-heels on female protagonist's boots. This is silly & impractical (very much immersion breaking) - high-heeled female adventurers is one of my personal pet-peeves when it comes to RPG character design.

Ugh, you're not alone, I despise this.

Tried to play a bit on my laptop (Intel GPU), game insisted on "very low" settings. All I can say is I rather *not* play than stare at that pixelfest. "Very low" settings look worse than many a game from the nineties (and no, for once I'm not using hyperbole). If I remember I'll make a screenshot this evening.

I'll try increasing the settings and seeing how that goes, should theoretically be possible to play on high or max settings as I can do so in X-COM, but I'd say this needs some work.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
B
B
Originally Posted by Indira Weresheep
Furthermore, wouldn't it be nice if R and S didn't level up in sync? So far, they have done so. I'd much rather see them gaining experience each on their own individual accord.

My characters didn't level up at the same time. As far as I can tell, XP in combat goes to the character that gets in the killing blow. That's a little annoying in fights where you have NPC allies, because your party could potentially not get any XP at all.

Last edited by Bittereinder; 18/12/13 12:26 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Fiach
Dunno if this is working as intended, but when you fight the crabs at the start, the AoE spells just stay around after the fight, you cannot progress without injury, if this is the way it's supposed to work and that will continue throughout the game, I cant see my self playing any further.

Oh, just walk it off, you kitty. Yes, AoE spells hurt you as well! That's an important lesson to learn, and be glad to be learning it so early and taking only minor damage.

Originally Posted by Bittereinder
I played for a couple of hours this morning and here are some other issues I've encountered:

- Graphical weirdness once you start getting out of bounds. The way the textures and the sea interact at the edge of the game world is rather odd-looking:

If you keep scrolling, you will end up in an endless grey void interspersed with what I assume to be game assets:

This is only a 'problem' if you go out of your way to scroll past the edge of the world, and I assume Larian will end up making that impossible to do in the first place.

Those look like the basements and other below-ground areas. Yes, you should not be able to scroll far enough to see those things, either there or on the map. I assume it'll get fixed as well.

- Skills: Quickwitted seems like a no-brainer for any character, and some of the skills seem vastly more useful than others. It is also not clear to me what the difference is between Fleetfooted and Rosycheeked. According to their descriptions, they both increase your AP.

They both do.

Last edited by Stabbey; 18/12/13 12:28 PM. Reason: removed large images
veteran
veteran
Your characters are Source Hunters, here to investigate possible Source magic...

The issue is that it isn’t obvious or clear what source magic is, why it’s bad, what the difference is between Source magic and normal magic, and how to detect clear signs of Source magic.

I have an idea for imparting that information to the player, without forcing them to sit through a lengthy explanation by an NPC. Simply have both characters start out with a book about Source Magic. “The Source Hunters manual”, if you will. They’re both level 1, so they’re clearly new at this, and the book will be there to sift through – or not – at their leisure. Maybe have another copy in the Homestead’s library. That way, the players can go to the crime scene, check the book and see that sure enough, the signs that the book lists as tell-tale indicators of source magic are indeed present.

One thing that is unclear is why should people use highly illegal Source magic when good-old fashioned regular magic seems like it works just fine. I think I know the reason, but one line in the source hunter book would explain it (feel free to use/rewrite this): “Normally it takes years of training attuning the mind to the world’s natural energies, before one can cast even the slightest cantrip of normal magic. What makes Source magic so insidious and dangerous is that it lets even those who are magically uninclined able to cast powerful spells. This makes it quite tempting for those of unpleasant disposition, who tend to naturally be weeded out of a normal wizard academy.

Depending on how much lore is there, that might make for a long book, though. (If so, maybe the first page could be a table of contents?)

Last edited by Stabbey; 18/12/13 01:55 PM. Reason: crime scene
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Bittereinder

My characters didn't level up at the same time. As far as I can tell, XP in combat goes to the character that gets in the killing blow. That's a little annoying in fights where you have NPC allies, because your party could potentially not get any XP at all.

Yes, if that is true, I think the penalty is a bit too steep. While I'm open to the idea in general for rewarding XP based on individual efforts, it may have to be more nuanced than giving XP only to the lucky one getting the killing blow. Perhaps rewarding XP based on percentage of health taken down on the kill by each character, although that still penalizes any build that is not purely offensively based (e.g., a melee character decked out with defense to be a shield for the party).

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
I've just levelled up twice, so hopefully they get individual xp then. Great!
But yeah, xp to the one doing the killing blow seems lame and "unrealistic" somehow. Perhaps the number of Action Points used per encounter could do the trick?

old hand
old hand
Yea I think I mentioned this in another thread; also those are not the only AOE spells that seem to hang around forever (ever across saves). Er I mean that is not the only location - had another fight somewhere else with the same issue.

Dunno if this is working as intended, but when you fight the crabs at the start, the AoE spells just stay around after the fight, you cannot progress without injury, if this is the way it's supposed to work and that will continue throughout the game, I cant see my self playing any further.

L
stranger
stranger
L
My framerate on ultimate was at a nice and stead 60-70 (though I think my gtx 680 should push these graphics at 100+ regularly), but when I got to the fountain with the chicken posing for a portrait.......the framerate plunged to around 17. Will try disabling different graphic options to find out what might be causing it. Probably shadows.

addict
addict
Okay for Ranger and magician walkthrough ( contains spoilers)
I have played 7 hours so far and managed to solve the murder and to kill the big orc and i have to say its very fun to play
- the design of scarlett/roderick/arhu and some else is awesome
- there are good crossbows in the game, dont know why but i love crossbows in games
- the poisonus/static/burning cloud is very fun
- the whole magic system is really cool
- the air summons look cool
- you can roleplay both characters in different ways
- the watcher statues are really funny same goes for bellegar
- a perk/skill can totally change the way to solve quest
- many funny strategys possible like dropping the bomber on enemy mages usw
- freedom in character progression
- only one crash so far

but now negative points
- the telekinesis/ teleportation is too overpowered - solves every puzzle in seconds.
- the fights are far to easy. (Maybe i( or range/magiciancombo) am so good but i think i used in 7 hours about 3 healthpotions and 2 apples and maybe 5-6 times the healingspell
- arhu is a joke to fight, i killed him with one multishot
- i dont find a lot of ranger/warrior skillbooks to buy but a lot of mages
- i couldnt go the shelter beyond time and space after i went there saved there and then loaded the game and left the shelter. than i could never go back
- no sounds frown
- some things dont work properly- like a cute attacked me and i killed him and then the next cute dog turned into a zombie dog
- the control device for arhus machine did nothing( maybe i was too far away but i just killed it)
- magic does too much damage
- there is one soldier you cant kill because he absorbs all dmg, it is the one who is training with the other
- bellagar does not look like bellegar from div2 (but still funny as heck)
- if you have luck and find a really good weapon it is even more easier
- All amuletts and rings need at least 6 int- even the ones with sneak usw on it
- Enemy mages do mostly nothing

So i know a lot of these things are already in this thread but these are the things i remember now.

Last edited by X-tasy; 18/12/13 01:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by X-tasy

but now negative points
- the telekinesis/ teleportation is too overpowered - solves every puzzle in seconds.
- the fights are far to easy. (Maybe i( or range/magiciancombo) am so good but i think i used in 7 hours about 3 healthpotions and 2 apples and maybe 5-6 times the healingspell
- arhu is a joke to fight, i killed him with one multishot

Agreed.

Maybe Telekinesis should be disabled unless you specifically spend 1 point in the Telekinesis skill, instead of being free with 6+ Int.

The fights - at least the below-level-5 encounters - are definitely far too easy (if you're at about the right level).

- no sounds frown
- some things dont work properly- like a cute attacked me and i killed him and then the next cute dog turned into a zombie dog

There should be sound for some things (not all things). The "cute dogs" are an enemy encounter, but yeah, the cute dogs shouldn't turn hostile and transform until you're up close to them.

- Enemy mages do mostly nothing

They could be more dangerous, given how powerful your own magic is.

H
stranger
stranger
H
If you disable shadows in graphicSettings.lsx you gain 20+ fps and if you disable TextureStreamingEnabled in the same file you get way smoother screen scrolling.

Devs might want to check why TextureStreamingEnabled kills the smooth scrolling and maybe add a shadows on or off in the game settings.

Where are these files please as the camera is driving me nuts. Thanks for any help smile

It's in C:\users\"you're pc" do a file search in there.

stranger
stranger
Per request my overview whicht I've posted in a seperate thread.

Character creation
- If you go back to the menu in the creation screen, the game crashes.
- Maybe this was me, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the skills where located. So I couldn't choose starting skills, something I would expect when there is a custom option.
- Some talents give clear %, others just a vague indication of what they do. This makes it really hard to decide which one is the better option, or suits you better.
- Quick-witted, the talent which gives 10 % more xp, seems a must-take in a game where the enemies are finite. Talents that everyone should take are generally better avoided in a game.
- Fleetfooted and Rosy Cheeks appear to be the same in their description.
- When I chose the talent which increased my overall health, I didn't start with full health.

General impressions and gameplay encounters
- When I shoot a fireball in a pond with fish, the water evaporates, but the fish keep swimming on the sand.
- I killed the two starting legonaires and the orcs on the beach. The legonaires whom I saved actually had a bad attitude towards me, even though they didn't see me kill the other two.
- The map resets everytime I load a game or go upstairs or downstairs in some areas, meaning I have to explore everything again.
- When I go up or down stairs/hatches etc., the other character teleports to a seemingly random spot in my vicinity instead of following me.
- I found a lot of the same items. (In my case maybe a dozen of the same amulet.)
- Amulets and ring can be sold for a substantial higher amount than weapons and the like. Even rings without any stats could be sold for over a 100.
- There are two ringslots, yet I could only equip one ring.
- It doesn't matter if you die because of traps, as long as the other character survives. This makes disarming them simply a case of triggering the trap with just one character.
- As soon as you have the healing spell, there is no more need for any other kind of out of combat healing.
- Slipping on a surface can cost someone a good 3 turns in combat. This felt a bit overpowered. Also, out of combat the whole slipping thing is very annoying.
- A lot of skills lack any sort of explanation. For example I had no idea what Inspire, the fighter skill, was supposed to do.
- In my experience, the game is too easy. I managed to beat a party of level 5 + 6 Orcs, led by a gigantic one, with my 2 level 4 characters.
- The inventory still has a long way to go, I'd love an autosort.
- Make Esc be able to close any open window, like crates or the journal, before going to the menu.
- I tried eating a fish, which gave my character a temporary intelligence boost. Since a higher intelligence means more ability points when you gain a level, this would mean that everyone would try and eat a fish just before that last bit of xp needed to gain a level. Most people will probably load again and again till they succeed. I'd make it a permanent one-time bonus or make it so temporary bonuses don't count to stuff like this.

Unbalanced features
- All the figther skills cost 5 ap, with a 4 turn cooldown. A lot of spells cost 3 ap, with a 1 turn cooldown. This combined with some other things (listed below), made me feel like a mage is the much stronger class at the moment.
- Intelligence governs how much ability points a character get each level. Since intelligence seems more important for a mage, this gives the mage a huge advantage. Being able to invest 3 points more each leven in for example fire spells, feels like a bit too much.
- Combine the above point with the intelligence requirment on rings and amulets and I see no reason not to start with a mage.

I've encountered some more things this morning. I'll put those is a different post.

stranger
stranger
Some suggestions I'd like to make based on my own experiences.

Make a shared xp pool, at least as long as your together. I did all combat encounters together, yet it got to a point where my mage had over 10000 xp more than my ranger. (Out of 40000)

I'd like a cancel button in combat for move actions. Twice now I've missclicked on an enemy and instead of making a ranged attack, I moved 8 action points closer. I'd really like it if you could click cancel and stop in the middle of the move.

Some things I posted earlier:
Quick-witted should be removed, since it's a mandatory talent if you want to reach max level. Nobody like mandatories.
Mage feels very overpowered since it is the only class which primary attribute determines gains in other areas. They don't have to invest in strength or dex, meaning they can get more ability points through intelligence and more action points through speed. (I'd change the way ability points are determined based on intelligence completely, don't know how others think about this?)
Also, mages save money because they don't have a weapon investment. Staves only increase abilities, but not damage. Meaning you won't have to spend a lot to gain DPS. Fighter and Rangers have to buy or find better weapons to increase DPS.

Last edited by EricB WoOS; 18/12/13 02:19 PM.
addict
addict
Oh i found another funny bug if you kill your teammates you get exp. every time smile you can level bei just killing your teammate over and over ;D

oh and you cant see how long a potion is working. and a minor strengh potion didnt work at my ranger

stranger
stranger
Also, status effects seem too powerfull.
It's nice doing someone a lot of damage. But if you can disable 2 or more enemies for 3 turns by casting ice wall (and still damaging them!), this would always be my first choice. (Same goes for slipping, which I mentoined earlier.)

Last edited by EricB WoOS; 18/12/13 02:32 PM.
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard