Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
stranger
stranger
Just some small suggestions from my first impression:

- Let us start the game with a 'custom' character, I mean without the requirement to use any points in the character creation
- Make the player selected top character the one which is selected by default after loading a savegame etc. (Scarlett instead of Roderick if she's your top character)
- Make the map zoomable with the mouse wheel
- Make ESC close all windows first before opening the menu
- Use TAB to jump to the next character or at least let us define a key for it

- I have to say, that I don't really like how EXP is divided in combat, shouldn't everyone get the same as long as they don't get knocked out or just don't participate?
- It's also a bit confusing to talk to 'yourself' since you choose all answers for both characters. Personally I think it's a bit of wasted potential.

Otherwise I really like what I see especially for an alpha and I'm looking forward even more now to the final game smile

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Hellmet
Originally Posted by Fiach
If you disable shadows in graphicSettings.lsx you gain 20+ fps and if you disable TextureStreamingEnabled in the same file you get way smoother screen scrolling.

Devs might want to check why TextureStreamingEnabled kills the smooth scrolling and maybe add a shadows on or off in the game settings.

Where are these files please as the camera is driving me nuts. Thanks for any help smile

It's in C:\users\"you're pc" do a file search in there.

Thanks, yes it is smoother, but now it scrolls faster and is even more annoying,, think I'll just pretend its fixed camera lol smile

Thanks again smile

veteran
veteran
  • On the western beach, I'd add at least one difficult "warm-up" encounter before
    you meet the really HUGE Level 7 orc.

It should be a bit easier than the next one, to act as a test of your skills. If you have trouble with it, you should go no further.

At the moment, all that's there is the optional and avoidable fight with the sad orc, there's no way to tell if you're good enough to handle the huge fight until you're in it. That might be okay for now, but running away and resurrecting will be more difficult in the final version.
  • I definitely have to agree that XP should be split evenly between party members, and not only given to the one who lands the killing blow.
  • "Cute dog" -
    This encounter shouldn't trigger combat until you're right up close to them. It's also too easy for where it is placed. A surprise warm-up like that seems like it should be placed as the first thing you encounter, like right at the entrance at the bottom of the hill. It's easier to wander into a more difficult encounter first before finding that really easy one.
  • Scarecrow -
    that explodes triggers so far away from an approaching player that it doesn't hurt them at all. There also needs to be loot there to entice the players closer.
  • Lighthouse -
    I like the quiet walk up with the trail of dead bodies but no fights. It builds anticipation nicely, but the actual fight is a let down. It's too easy. That has been noted by the legion as a major trouble point. The gimmick of the lighthouse horror repeatedly reviving all the dead zombie dogs is neat, but there are only a few of the wolves, and the horror itself dies too fast. This needs more enemies there, and the horror needs a lot more HP, to make the reviving gimmick it does actually a threat.

Last edited by Stabbey; 18/12/13 04:02 PM. Reason: lighthouse
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bittereinder
If you keep scrolling, you will end up in an endless grey void interspersed with what I assume to be game assets:

[Linked Image]
Look like the upper (w/windows) and lower (w/spotty=rocky borders) floors to me. (center one could be either)

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by twincast
Originally Posted by Bittereinder
If you keep scrolling, you will end up in an endless grey void interspersed with what I assume to be game assets:

[Linked Image]
Look like the upper (w/windows) and lower (w/spotty=rocky borders) floors to me. (center one could be either)

Those are the other hatches, second floor and dungeons in Cyseal.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I've played for only a little while and I have some simple UI suggestions. Single clicking an item in a container instead of double clicking to get it would be better. I'd prefer the container windows to close automatically when the player character walks away from the container. Edge scrolling should be disabled when the player keeps mouse left button pressed to move continuously, I think.

I read the thread but didn't see these mentioned, apologies if they have been.

I also agree with the point about the female character with high heels, and it would be better if the inventory/skill windows switched over to the selected character as mentioned above.

Game looks very good overall.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Those NPCs are really touch sensitive. Push them around while moving a bale, a crate or even a pillow and they call for justice and attack you!
This game will turn me into a murderous villain leaving more murdered people in his wake than even all the murderous orcs you can muster.

T
stranger
stranger
T
x497, Y:92 South of the first crab fight.

There is an archway opening in a broken wall, wide enough the characters should be able to walk through, but they can't. Clicking a spot beyond makes them walk a long way around, manually directing them with the mouse doesn't work, they stop as if hitting a wall.

ESC should close a bag menu, it always just opens up the main one.

Custom character names from creation don't persist into the game.

Thanks for letting us try this out! Enjoying more of it.

Thamin Trollsbane
Recruit officer, Rift chapter of Grievance
Co-Host, Debuffed: The Star Citizen Report
GrievanceGaming.org
S
stranger
stranger
S
Hopefully this is an acceptable thread for this.

I played for a couple of hours last night, and had a few thoughts. Some of these I'm sure have been brought up elsewhere, but I'll dump them all here in the hopes that they are helpful.

1. Character Creation - It's not entirely clear that you are forced to create both characters, in a set order from the Character creation screen. I clicked around a bit and finally went with what the game wanted me to do, but it could probably be communicated better.

Why is there an option to choose male/female on characters whose gender appears to be set in stone?

2. Screen panning sometimes seems to not trigger when I expect it to.

I also wouldn't mind a camera follows player option (apologies if I've missed it in the options somewhere)

3. I find the player move speed to be a little slow. A little faster movement speed when out of combat might make the game feel more responsive. It feels a little sluggish right now.

Also, run everywhere, then walk slowly when I click an interactive object always feels gross to me, and I noticed it a couple of times while playing.

4. Burning boat event - I knew immediately that I needed to cast the rain spell I'd found to put out the fire, but it was over so quickly that I didn't have a chance to complete it. A little more buffer between the time that even fires and the time you fail it would be nice.

5. How do I cancel out of a spell if I select it? On two occasions I started to cast, realized that I was out of range or had chosen the wrong spell and either ended my turn without doing anything, or pressed random buttons until I could walk again. Escape doesn't work and there's not a UI button for cancelling an action.

6. Can you barter with both characters without a million mouse clicks? I remember having some minor irritation with it, but I was also having a couple of drinks while playing, and it's quite possible I was just being stupid.

Kein Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
David
Alpha changelog please?

apprentice
apprentice
You can cancel a spell by clicking the right mouse button.Also hello everyone this is my first post laugh I have been a forum lurker for a while,and also I know the Divinity universe since Divine Divinity's release(My second favourite game/franchise)

Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 18/12/13 08:11 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
First of all: thanks for a great game, Larian smile I had a couple of hours today to get a first impression, and I really like what I've seen so far. Of course, there were a few minor glitches:

• One crash which I haven't been able to reproduce, when running the game in windowed mode and minimising the window.
  • An issue with the Kitty Love quest: according to the quest log, I found a collar after fighting the big crab on the beach, but there is no collar in my inventory and I didn't sell it, either. I can't talk to either cat about the collar I allegedly found, so it seems that I'm stuck there.
  • The camera can be really awkward to handle during combat. In one case I had to fiddle around for quite a while to finally get an angle where I could see and target the opponents. Zooming out and/or centering the camera during combat to give a more tactical overview would be nice. Panning also seems to work a bit erratically, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
  • I don't quite understand the Attitude system yet. NPCs I've never spoken to, for example the two showmen, will have negative attitude towards Scarlett but are okay with Roderick. Not sure if that is because she's a wizard (maybe they don't like magic users), I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I'm really looking forward to playing some more, and I'm especially excited about co-op, it will be great to play this with my best friend and bicker about every decision wink

Welcome, Geralt of Rivia!

And yet another cat, I see! smile

Perhaps a weresheepcat? BAAH!

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
R
stranger
stranger
R
Thanks Eric that was nearly everything i wanted to say
Originally Posted by EricB WoOS
Per request my overview whicht I've posted in a seperate thread.

Character creation
- If you go back to the menu in the creation screen, the game crashes.
- Maybe this was me, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the skills where located. So I couldn't choose starting skills, something I would expect when there is a custom option.
- Some talents give clear %, others just a vague indication of what they do. This makes it really hard to decide which one is the better option, or suits you better.
- Quick-witted, the talent which gives 10 % more xp, seems a must-take in a game where the enemies are finite. Talents that everyone should take are generally better avoided in a game.
- Fleetfooted and Rosy Cheeks appear to be the same in their description.
- When I chose the talent which increased my overall health, I didn't start with full health.

General impressions and gameplay encounters
- When I shoot a fireball in a pond with fish, the water evaporates, but the fish keep swimming on the sand.
- I killed the two starting legonaires and the orcs on the beach. The legonaires whom I saved actually had a bad attitude towards me, even though they didn't see me kill the other two.
- The map resets everytime I load a game or go upstairs or downstairs in some areas, meaning I have to explore everything again.
- When I go up or down stairs/hatches etc., the other character teleports to a seemingly random spot in my vicinity instead of following me.
- I found a lot of the same items. (In my case maybe a dozen of the same amulet.)
- Amulets and ring can be sold for a substantial higher amount than weapons and the like. Even rings without any stats could be sold for over a 100.
- There are two ringslots, yet I could only equip one ring.
- It doesn't matter if you die because of traps, as long as the other character survives. This makes disarming them simply a case of triggering the trap with just one character.
- As soon as you have the healing spell, there is no more need for any other kind of out of combat healing.
- Slipping on a surface can cost someone a good 3 turns in combat. This felt a bit overpowered. Also, out of combat the whole slipping thing is very annoying.
- A lot of skills lack any sort of explanation. For example I had no idea what Inspire, the fighter skill, was supposed to do.
- In my experience, the game is too easy. I managed to beat a party of level 5 + 6 Orcs, led by a gigantic one, with my 2 level 4 characters.
- The inventory still has a long way to go, I'd love an autosort.
- Make Esc be able to close any open window, like crates or the journal, before going to the menu.
- I tried eating a fish, which gave my character a temporary intelligence boost. Since a higher intelligence means more ability points when you gain a level, this would mean that everyone would try and eat a fish just before that last bit of xp needed to gain a level. Most people will probably load again and again till they succeed. I'd make it a permanent one-time bonus or make it so temporary bonuses don't count to stuff like this.

Unbalanced features
- All the figther skills cost 5 ap, with a 4 turn cooldown. A lot of spells cost 3 ap, with a 1 turn cooldown. This combined with some other things (listed below), made me feel like a mage is the much stronger class at the moment.
- Intelligence governs how much ability points a character get each level. Since intelligence seems more important for a mage, this gives the mage a huge advantage. Being able to invest 3 points more each leven in for example fire spells, feels like a bit too much.
- Combine the above point with the intelligence requirment on rings and amulets and I see no reason not to start with a mage.

I've encountered some more things this morning. I'll put those is a different post.

What i didn't like (most of it should be because of alpha state but maybe you haven't thought about it)
-Empty areas there is no need for more enemies just more living stuff...for example when having many dead npcs at one spot put some animals in it that feed on them.

Minor Bugs i can't remember have been mentioned:
-Framedrops in some Areas (from 45 to 10) i know it's an unoptimized alpha so...
-some Weapons should scale to the character found a bow that was twice the size of my char.
-the second character (female) is always somewhere else when i "use" stairs...if i play my female char the other one (male) is where he should be after i used "stairs"

More to the balance a Warrior seems bad atm
-4 ap to hit only 7 to move...(meele and warrior skills must be cheaper)
-My rogue can kill 3-4 enemies in one round while my warrior will never reach one...
-Rogue Skills like multishot are way op (they have to cost more)
-way to easy overall

Last edited by robertb; 18/12/13 08:43 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, it's been said that they know there are balance issues everywhere but I would second that warrior is currently way too underpowered, the mage and ranger however are more on equal footing with the mage being more powerful than ranger in my experience so far, but not nearly as severely as rangers ahead of warriors.

old hand
old hand
Is this fog of war reappearing after a reload an alpha thing or a design decision? If its the latter it's incredibly annoying. Especially when I'm not too familiar with the town, it's quite hard to find NPCs for the second time.

veteran
veteran
Fog of war reappearing is a bug.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Regarding the "single player co-op dialogue":

I really love this feature, but it gets confusing. I am not used to having dialogues with myself in game, and I reckon most other players will not have had that either. Therefore it is very important to have a very clear idea of who is talking when.

I think my main confusion comes from the portrait showing in the dialogue screen being for the previous person who spoke. If we could add another portrait next to the players response choices, showing who will be talking now, that would really help make things clearer and not slow the flow of the game as much for me.

Regarding the "single player co-op dialogue": One of the many things still to be implemented/enabled is the automatic personalities for your second character when playing solo. Depending on your preferences, the second character will always agree, disagree or respond in a random fashion. That way talking to yourself is not strictly necessary in the final version of the game.

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Since there are two characters, why can't we use one to distract a person so we can pickpocket or steal?

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard